Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Californis exam
Posted by  Marian_in_CA of CA on 1/29/15 12:29am Msg #523358
"The exam for CA notaries in the last couple of years has become difficult to pass."

How so? Every time I've taken it it seemed pretty darn easy and basic.

"I am not sure why a CA notary should wait 6 weeks to take a test..."

I don't know about 6 weeks... but here's how I feel about it. It's no secret, I've advocated this for years. I do not believe we should be allowed to take the exam the same day we receive our training completion certificate --- whether that be the result of an online class or an in-person seminar. When you take the exam right after the class, there's no incentive to commit any of the information to long term memory. Science proves that retention of information is very low is situations like that. There is no actual learning happening... just people learning the minimum to pass a test, and then it's gone. I've always felt there should be at least 14-21 days (or more) between the course completion date and the exam date. That way, the candidate is forced to study and put the information in their long-term memory.

It is for this reason I have turned down multiple offers to teach in-person classes followed by the exam. I refuse to be part of a system that allows something I fundamentally disagree with. I realize that it's perfectly allowable right now... but I disagree with it and you'll never, ever find me taking one of those classes or teaching one in that kind of environment.

"I have taught students to pass the CA exam for over 10 years"

Joan, I think you know that I've always taken issue with this. Shouldn't you be teaching them to be a notary and not just pass an exam? What good is passing the exam if you can't recall any of the information, much less know where to find the answers. I cannot tell you how many notaries I've met who have been trained via a one-day, one stop seminar class followed by the exam who have NO idea what they are doing. We see it here all the time... people asking such very basic questions tht can be answered by simply reviewing the material available from our governing authority. Some of them don't even know that there is an annual newsletter! And yes... some of these people have been your students. Some from the NNA (most, actually) and other one-day type classes. I have no issue with in person classes.... I have issue with being able to sti for the exam right after sitting through the class while the material is "fresh" -- it shouldn't be "fresh" --- it should be ingrained and second nature so that the exam is simply a formality.

I can't wait to see them double or triple the test questions. This is something that might be happening... among other test changes we learned about this past fall. Sue can back me up on that one since we were both there for it.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Wow.....& Marian's RIGHT - LKT/CA on 1/28/15 8:51pm
 Californis exam -  Joan Bergstrom on 1/28/15 11:33pm
 Re: Californis exam -  Marian_in_CA on 1/29/15 12:29am
 Re: Californis exam -  Joan Bergstrom on 1/29/15 3:41pm
 My point was never about the test, per se - LKT/CA on 1/29/15 4:25pm
 Correction: "asked"....not "asked for" n/m - LKT/CA on 1/29/15 4:36pm
 Marian, unfortunately they can only teach - rengel/CA on 1/29/15 4:21pm
 Re: Marian, unfortunately they can only teach -  JanetK_CA on 1/29/15 5:50pm
 Re: Californis exam -  sueharke on 1/29/15 10:19pm
 Re: NNA registering as Lobbyists -  JanetK_CA on 1/30/15 4:18pm
 Re: Californis exam - EJC/LA on 1/29/15 8:58am
 Re: Californis exam - Notarysigner on 1/29/15 9:55am
 If Only all notaries thought that! But I think most don't. n/m -  JanetK_CA on 1/29/15 1:25pm
 Re: Californis exam - EJC/LA on 1/29/15 8:02pm
 Nope...Joan is correct; and not a feasible requirement! n/m - linda/ca on 1/29/15 1:44am
 Re: Nope...Joan is correct; and not a feasible requirement! -  Marian_in_CA on 1/29/15 1:53am
 Well, personally, I already know the laws so well that I am - linda/ca on 1/29/15 2:57am
 Re: Well, personally, I already know the laws so well that I am -  Marian_in_CA on 1/29/15 4:07am
 Also.... -  Marian_in_CA on 1/29/15 4:20am
 Re: Well, personally, I already know the laws so well that I am -  JanetK_CA on 1/29/15 1:53pm
 Exactly, Janet....I agree - LKT/CA on 1/29/15 4:51pm
 BINGO!!!! Marian nailed it! - LKT/CA on 1/29/15 3:54pm
 I agree, Penni Miller is a troll, not a notary in CA -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/29/15 10:02am
 Re: Wow.....& Marian -  VT_Syrup on 1/29/15 10:10am
 Re: Wow.....& Marian - BearPaw/CO on 1/29/15 12:25pm
 Re: Wow.....& Marian -  VT_Syrup on 1/29/15 12:49pm
 RE: Notarizing in Mexico -  Stoli on 1/29/15 2:00pm
 “Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang -  Stoli on 1/29/15 2:11pm
 Re: Wow.....& Marian - LKT/CA on 1/29/15 4:08pm
 Re: Wow.....& Marian -  VT_Syrup on 1/29/15 4:43pm
 Electronic notarizations - for very specific and limited use -  JanetK_CA on 1/29/15 6:13pm
 Re: Electronic notarizations - for very specific and limited use -  VT_Syrup on 1/30/15 10:42am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.