Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees
Posted by NVLSlady/VA of VA on 2/28/18 12:19pm Msg #590460
["My solution is to never charge for notarization, and derive all my income from print fees, travel fees..."]
I have also been leaning toward this "solution," since, it's a mute point for us to charge for the notarization - as we can only technically charge per Certificate. How many signers is that? As many as can be written in the certificate!

I recently notarized an attorney-prepared estate package which thankfully he mostly had the certificate complete with names of principal signer AND witnesses; the thing is he put it all in the One cert. Fine. However, when it came time to talk payment he suggested I "count" the notarizations (there were only 3). Previously, we had discussed during the booking.

I think he was trying to put me on the spot with the signers - and I didn't handle it the way I should have. I quoted the same fee we had discussed and gladly (and unapologetically) accepted my fee. My gut tells me he wanted me to give his clients a break (like, I'm sure he did, right?). I don't feel I overcharged HOWEVER given the same situation again I would have handled differently, throwing him off with: "My service fee is $60 - and that includes the cost of the tip for notarizing at your convenience."

I had a notary in the same city as signer say she started at $60 (I believe it was) just for the call. Uh, okay. When I told her the fee I quoted signer she asked if notary work was my FT job?!

And yes, you CA notaries have it good. The thing to remember, I think is that the VALUE of the notarization does not change across State lines. You have to do what makes sense in your community for the folks you are serving.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees -  Cathy/CA on 2/27/18 1:52pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees - Calnotary on 2/27/18 2:01pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees -  Cathy/CA on 2/27/18 2:05pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees -  Mindy/ on 2/27/18 2:08pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees -  Cathy/CA on 2/27/18 2:38pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees -  JanetK_CA on 2/27/18 2:42pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees - SteveS/CA on 2/27/18 3:11pm
 I ask how many signatures are needed... - FeliseSoCal on 2/27/18 4:49pm
 Try calling a plumber and telling them - rengel/CA on 2/27/18 3:54pm
 Re: Try calling a plumber and telling them - samH/CA on 2/27/18 4:02pm
 Re: Try calling a plumber and telling them - Kevin Simcox on 2/27/18 4:29pm
 Re: Try calling a plumber and telling them - Shoshana/AZ on 2/28/18 8:58am
 Re: Try calling a plumber and telling them - Kevin Simcox on 2/28/18 12:55pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees - Expeditor on 2/27/18 5:53pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees -  JanetK_CA on 2/27/18 6:38pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees - SteveS/CA on 2/28/18 8:47am
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees - CopperheadVA on 2/27/18 7:21pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees - Clem/CA on 2/28/18 10:02am
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees - CopperheadVA on 2/28/18 3:47pm
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees - Julie Richardson on 2/28/18 9:18am
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees -  VT_Syrup on 2/28/18 10:18am
 Re: Not Charging Travel Fee and/or Low Fees - NVLSlady/VA on 2/28/18 12:19pm
 How do you reply to do you charge? Banks do it for free. - mtnotary on 3/1/18 11:21am
 Re: How do you Reply to 'Banks do it for free.' - NVLSlady/VA on 3/1/18 12:05pm
 Re: How do you reply to do you charge? Banks do it for free. -  Barb25 on 3/1/18 4:21pm
 Re: How do you reply to do you charge? Banks do it for free. - mtnotary on 3/5/18 2:55pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.