Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Looks like something forgotten in new VT notary law
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 7/3/18 10:27pm Msg #595581
I read Msg #595525 about a Los Angeles recorder rejecting a document because the notary's name in the body of the certificate was cursive, not printed.

Later I worked on a spread sheet to show what information each kind of certificate must contain, like venue, date, notary's signature, etc., for Vermont's new Act 160, which may be found at

https://legislature.vermont.gov/assets/Documents/2018/Docs/ACTS/ACT160/ACT160%20As%20Enacted.pdf

I found that if an act involves a tangible record (that is, a paper document) then the notary MUST either use an official stamp, or must PRINT the notary's name and commission number.

BUT, if the act involves an electronic record, the notary doesn't have to provide the notary's printed name, nor does the notary have to provide the commission number. The notary does have to sign the electronic certificate, but that signature might or might not be legible. (There is a passage saying the notary MAY apply an official stamp to an electronic record, but it isn't mandatory.)

Maybe I read it wrong. It would be interesting for notaries in other states who passed a version of RULONA to see if their states require a printed notary name or commission number for electronic notarial acts.

Or, maybe it's there and I just couldn't find it.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Looks like something forgotten in new VT notary law -  VT_Syrup on 7/3/18 10:27pm
 Re: Looks like something forgotten in new VT notary law - Yoli/CA on 7/4/18 11:45am
 Re: Looks like something forgotten in new VT notary law -  VT_Syrup on 7/4/18 2:23pm
 Re: Looks like something forgotten in new VT notary law -  MonicaFL on 7/4/18 2:39pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.