Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Things that make you go "WTF?"
Posted by Luckydog of FL on 7/23/18 10:18pm Msg #596175
I'd probably ask them to scan it back so I could see for myself. That way, if you missed it (which deep down you know you didn't do), you fix it, if not, you can show them where your signature is.

"The clerk at the SoS's Office tells the wife to go to a library and swear before a Notary that her husband had signed the doc. (And presumably notarize the wife's signature, too.)" ---for me, I am thinking a new document that only the library notary would acknowledge making that statement, not notarizing a missing husband's signature, but only the wife attesting to the fact. I could be way off here.

If were me, I'd probably be uncomfortable notarizing any document not in my language to understand.

NNA: In our global society, Notaries increasingly are asked to notarize documents written in foreign languages they cannot read. Generally, state laws do not expressly prohibit the Notary from notarizing a document that is not in the English language. However, depending on the circumstances, it may be inadvisable to notarize such foreign-language documents. The danger, of course, is that the document is being misrepresented to the Notary.

For any non-English document, the best option is to refer the signer to a Notary who reads and writes the language of the document. If that is not possible, the Notary should only proceed if the notarial certificate itself is in English or other language the Notary reads and writes. The letters and characters in the document's signature and in any ID document presented must also be understood by the Notary.

It is important that the signer and the Notary be able to communicate in the same language, without the reliance on a third party who, intentionally or unintentionally, may interpret the conversation incorrectly.

B. I never had this happen, but I don't do much of this kind of work.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Things that make you go "WTF?" -  Ernest__CT on 7/23/18 8:09pm
 Re: Things that make you go "WTF?" - Luckydog on 7/23/18 10:18pm
 Re: Things that make you go "WTF?" -  Cheryl Elliott on 7/24/18 9:39am
 Re: Things that make you go "WTF?" - MrEd_Ca on 7/24/18 9:46am
 You Lost Me At "A PoA That Was In Portuguese . . . - PegiT_MN on 7/24/18 12:21pm
 Re: You Lost Me At "A PoA That Was In Portuguese . . . - MikeC/TX on 7/24/18 5:11pm
 Foreign docs are ok in Calif - rengel/CA on 7/24/18 2:14pm
 Re: Foreign docs are ok in Calif - exactly, Rengel/CA - Yoli/CA on 7/24/18 2:41pm
 Thank You Rengel & Yoli . . . - PegiT_MN on 7/24/18 2:46pm
 to add - Luckydog on 7/24/18 4:17pm
 Re: to add -  VT_Syrup on 7/24/18 6:14pm
 Re: LuckyDog - - rengel/CA on 7/24/18 6:45pm
 Re: LuckyDog - - Luckydog on 7/24/18 7:36pm
 Also found this... - Luckydog on 7/24/18 7:39pm
 Re: LuckyDog - - rengel/CA on 7/24/18 11:54pm
 Re: Thank You Rengel & Yoli . . . -  JanetK_CA on 7/24/18 8:25pm
 Re: Thank You Rengel & Yoli . . . - Luckydog on 7/24/18 9:49pm
 Here is what the Florida SOS has previously published - Linda_H/FL on 7/25/18 7:55am
 Re: Thank You Rengel & Yoli . . . -  VT_Syrup on 7/25/18 9:15am
 Re: Thank You Rengel & Yoli . . . -  JanetK_CA on 7/25/18 2:10pm
 Thank you all for your comments! -  Ernest__CT on 7/26/18 11:11pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.