Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

John McCain
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 9/1/18 7:30pm Msg #71990
Today, I spent some time watching the memorial service for John McCain. I listened to the heartfelt eulogies given by those who really knew him, and was impressed by the words of Meghan McCain, Joe Liberman, GW Bush, and Barack Obama.

I did not agree with all of John McCain's politics, but I always admired his service to our country. I was prepared to vote for him in 2008 until he selected Sarah Palin as his running mate - at which point I couldn't imagine what he was thinking. The number two position on the ticket is important. This airhead Palin would be one heartbeat from the presidency - an unacceptable situation for me.

But was most impressive to me today was that Trump was ignored. He tried desperately to turn the attention back to himself, tweeting for several hours and hoping to get the media to shift their attention back to him as they often do - and they ignored him, focusing instead on the celebration of McCain's life and service to our country. This was as it should have been.

The one sour note for me today was the appearance of Ivanka and Jared, supposedly representing the President who was off playing golf once again. No one from the Trump family should have been allowed to participate in any way - Trump HATED John McCain, to the point where he was petty enough to refuse to lower the flag after his death as a sign of respect until his staff convinced him that this was the wrong message to send. Sending members of his family to honor him at a memorial service is the height of hypocrisy - take his name out of your mouth, you have not earned the right to say it.

RIP, John McCain - a true American patriot and war hero.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 John McCain - MikeC/TX on 9/1/18 7:30pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.