Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

BLATANT DISREGARD FOR NOTARY LAW
Posted by  101livescan of CA on 4/12/14 8:28am Msg #505689
I've done a lot of work for the DA's office, judges and attorneys in my area, and I know they would take exception to their NPPI being shared with any one not related to their transaction.

As a live scan fingerprinting outside vendor with the DOJ, I must keep sequestered all candidates' NPPI submitted to me. I can destroy after one year individuals' live scan request applications, their information disappears from my PC brain after 90 days. My live scan PC is password protected, and my office door is locked. Applications are maintained in a locked cabinet that only I have the key to. If I were to hire a person to perform live scans, they would have their own password, and I would not be able to give them access unless they had gone through the same certification and licensing protocol that I passed with the DOJ/FBI.

Not only should the media be very interested in this violation of individuals' NPPI, but I think the CFPB would also be interested. It certainly violates everything I know about maintaining strict confidence about our clients' information.

Yesterday I had a closing/signing in a title office. The main escrow department manager over the national company's offices came to inspect their offices in Santa Barbara. Everyone working on closings (EOs and their assistants) can only have one file on their desktop at any given time. What that says is they want no possibility of papers getting filed in the wrong file folder. Each time the work is completed for that file, it goes right back into a "locked" lateral file draw before another file can be worked on.

How many times have you received docs, and some other borrowers' documents were included in the package for your signer? or, you received a total package for another borrower beside the one you're supposed to meet with. More than once for me over the years.

For years I've been watching escrow files staked as high as 7 feet from floor to ceiling on the floor, on credenzas, desks, window ledges, chairs, cube dividers, especially when the biz was really crazy. The files did not go back to locked lateral file drawers every night, some of these files "lived" in their designated temporary reachable place until the file closed, or was archived due to non closing.

As soon as files are closed at this office, they are archived, scanned, they are audited for completeness.

PCs must be password protected, loan documents must be encrpted if transmitted via email. Only approved third parties may have access if they are approved by the vendor management department.

One lender has been deemed by this title company not to have proper safeguards in place at this time, and they will not work with this lender until such time as they have demonstrated best practices under Dodd Frank regulations and the CFPB. Please don't ask me who they are because I am not at liberty to disclose.

I've never been asked for my journal by any escrow or title company, and I would take the position you have, Yoli. I think there is more to the story than you and any of us can guess, but I'll bet they are over correcting for all the issues that may have existed for their company, as this new requirement certainly does seem over the top. I can certainly understand the interview process. I know that after years of doing what I do, I have strengthened my core ability to establish a quick rapport with the client that immediately makes them comfortable with a perfect stranger who appears in their home with all their NPPI in my briefcase. Of course, after many years, I've seen a lot of people as many as six times, so I'm a pretty know quantity. I'm sure you are too.

I think this sharing a notary journal is an unfounded requirement, and should be reported to someone who will care. I wonder how Gerry Brown or Debra Bowen would feel if their information were shared with "just anyone."

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) -  Yoli/CA on 4/11/14 4:52pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) - Lee/AR on 4/11/14 6:07pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) -  John Tennant on 4/11/14 6:11pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) -  Yoli/CA on 4/11/14 6:31pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) -  JJNotary/CA on 4/11/14 6:49pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) - Marian_in_CA on 4/11/14 7:06pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) - Sandra G Holland on 4/11/14 8:07pm
 Re: America's Dumbest Real Estate Criminals - Marazz/AZ on 4/11/14 8:38pm
 Re: America - David J Mayo on 4/12/14 4:38pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) -  sueharke on 4/12/14 10:51pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) -  JanetK_CA on 4/11/14 8:46pm
 Good for you for taking the time to give them correct info. -  MW/VA on 4/11/14 9:02pm
 Required journal information? - CH2inCA on 4/11/14 9:06pm
 What interesting suggestions ... media, federal government! -  Yoli/CA on 4/11/14 11:42pm
 Wouldn't that make every CA notary working for them - desktopfull on 4/12/14 2:56am
 All guilty and in violation? Not at all. We haven't all been - Belinda/CA on 4/12/14 10:18pm
 Re: All guilty and in violation? Not at all. We haven - desktopfull on 4/14/14 3:01am
 You said, "Wouldn't that make EVERY CA notary working... - Belinda/CA on 4/14/14 1:03pm
 Yoli, very professional presentation & thorough to include -  Christine/OK on 4/12/14 5:40am
 Yoli, if you have worked for them before, why didn't they -  Teresa/FL on 4/12/14 7:34am
 Re: Yoli, if you have worked for them before, why didn -  Yoli/CA on 4/12/14 8:57am
 BLATANT DISREGARD FOR NOTARY LAW -  101livescan on 4/12/14 8:28am
 Re: BLATANT DISREGARD FOR NOTARY LAW - Sandra G Holland on 4/12/14 8:59am
 Re: BLATANT DISREGARD FOR NOTARY LAW -  Linda_H/FL on 4/12/14 9:11am
 Re: BLATANT DISREGARD FOR NOTARY LAW -  LKT/CA on 4/12/14 10:42am
 Re: BLATANT DISREGARD FOR NOTARY LAW - Marian_in_CA on 4/12/14 11:26am
 Re: BLATANT DISREGARD FOR NOTARY LAW -  JanetK_CA on 4/12/14 12:30pm
 Bear900, are you out catching trout this weekend? -  101livescan on 4/12/14 9:17am
 Re: Bear900, are you out catching trout this weekend? - Bear900/CA on 4/12/14 4:15pm
 File a police report NOW - FlaNotary2 on 4/12/14 8:59am
 Re: File a police report NOW -  Yoli/CA on 4/12/14 9:12am
 I would do the police report first, so that way you can give - FlaNotary2 on 4/12/14 9:14am
 Re: I would do the police report first, so that way you can give - Marian_in_CA on 4/12/14 11:32am
 I would sue them in small claims for "loss of income" that -  Notarysigner on 4/12/14 12:54pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) - jnew on 4/12/14 9:26am
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) -  101livescan on 4/12/14 9:33am
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) -  LKT/CA on 4/12/14 10:46am
 Kampala Harris is the AG of CA -  rengel/CA on 4/12/14 7:15pm
 Re: Kamala Harris , darned autocorrect n/m -  rengel/CA on 4/12/14 7:16pm
 Re: Kampala Harris is the AG of CA -  Yoli/CA on 4/13/14 10:11pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) - Marian_in_CA on 4/12/14 9:00pm
 Re: TC attempts to coerce notary to break law ... (very LONG) -  sueharke on 4/12/14 10:55pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.