Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

My 2 cents... [or maybe 50 cents? ;>)]
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 1/27/15 8:03pm Msg #523231
I'm in a similar market, with tons of other notaries, so I think I understand what you're saying. And I interpret your comment about being a single mom as a statement that you're not playing around, and that you're looking for something proactive to do, because failure isn't an alternative. Is that right? So I'm going to give it a shot, and will probably get carried away, so my apologies in advance... Wink

Surviving in times like this requires a very tough, objective look, imo. Applying one of the principles from Steven Covey's book, "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", specifically to "begin with the end in mind", is probably a very good idea. And I'm going to assume that the desired end, or goal, is to achieve a certain level of profitability, in order to meet at least minimum living expenses. No? Further, it's essential to have a pretty clear idea of how much that will take (i.e. at least a budget, preferably a business plan).

Assuming that's been done, I think one of the first things we need to do is identify what is within our direct control and what is not. I realize this kind of goes against the premise of the original post, and while I'd do believe that people can have an influence major issues, IMO that approach isn't likely to solve the immediate concern or help achieve the short term goal.

Here's a list of some of the things I don't believe we, as individuals, can control:
- The overall economy
- The overall amount of work that exists
- Fixed costs of doing business
- What criteria another company will choose to use when hiring notaries
- What kind of business model a tc or ss will use to manage their finances - and to try to survive in this shrinking market
- What hiring parties expect us to do for the fees they're willing to pay
- How many other notaries are trying to serve the same coverage area (unless we're able to relocate; willingness to relocate is separate issue - and that may not solve the problem anyway)
- The cost of living in our community

There are probably many more.

Things we CAN control (to various degrees):
- How we choose to spend our time
- Who we accept work from
- What minimum fees we will work for
- Some of our business and personal overhead and variable expenses (e.g. toner, food, etc.)
- How we *think* about our current circumstances (MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!!)

These will vary by individual, but I'm sure we could all come up with more.

So while we'd all like to be able to stop low-balling tc's from working with cheap ss's, and ss's from hiring cut-rate notaries, the chances of succeeding with that approach are likely pretty slim. So then we have another decision to make. Do we want to go the route of those who feel they have no choice but to accept the unprofitable fees being offered in order to "work", or do we want to spend our time on activities that have at least a chance of allowing us to reach our goal?

I don't claim to have the answers and the solutions are a lot more complicated than I could get into, but I can at least lay out some things to consider. (Getting help from a free mentor at SCORE might be a better approach.)

First, as others have suggested, set minimum bottom line fees for various services you offer that take into consideration what your time is worth, then don't accept anything less than that. If someone contacts you with work that doesn't meet that minimum, let it go - in all sense of the phrase! Don't think of it as work lost, just think of it as a call to the wrong person - that the caller didn't meet your requirements. No different, IMO, than someone calling who doesn't have adequate ID. (BTW, lately I turn down lots more work than I accept.) That way, instead of spending time doing assignments with very little - if any - payback, you can spend your time on activities that will help you find work that *will* pay you what you want and need.

That can take the form of finding other clients or other types of notary business. I believe Florida is one of those states where GNW is worth doing. GNW has become a big segment of my business, but it takes time and effort to find it. (Others here have made some good suggestions along that line.) However, it may also mean facing the possibility that a notary business may no longer be a viable full time business option. This is likely the hardest part of this exercise. But if that's the case, the sooner you realize that, the better. The next decision, of course, will be to decide what kind of other activities you can pursue to bring in more income, whether that's another business, a part time job, or perhaps a full time job.

Tough choices...! But putting our heads in the sand and not facing the present realities is a sure road to failure. All we can do is focus on those things that ARE within our control, make some decisions and then take action.

Off my soap box now, so I hope this helps. (And FWIW, I'll be the first to acknowledge that this is easier said than done!)

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Love my job, but getting disheartened by fees - clpflorida on 1/27/15 9:57am
 Fire em! -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/27/15 10:07am
 Re: Fire em! - clpflorida on 1/27/15 11:43am
 What Cheryl and cipflorida said!!! n/m - Karla/OR on 1/27/15 6:27pm
 Re: Love my job, but getting disheartened by fees -  Marian_in_CA on 1/27/15 11:06am
 Re: Love my job, but getting disheartened by fees - clpflorida on 1/27/15 11:23am
 Re: Love my job, but getting disheartened by fees -  sueharke on 1/27/15 11:40am
 Re: Love my job, but getting disheartened by fees - clpflorida on 1/27/15 11:47am
 Not posting about gloom and doom but - Notarysigner on 1/27/15 11:44am
 Re: Not posting about gloom and doom but - clpflorida on 1/27/15 11:50am
 Excellent advice, Notarysigner. :D n/m -  Christine/OK on 1/27/15 11:51am
 Yes, as Sue suggests, SCORE is an excellent resource & their -  Christine/OK on 1/27/15 11:46am
 Re: Yes, as Sue suggests, SCORE is an excellent resource & their - clpflorida on 1/27/15 11:51am
 Re: Love my job, but getting disheartened by fees - Belinda/CA on 1/27/15 1:35pm
 Re: Love my job, but getting disheartened by fees -  Marian_in_CA on 1/28/15 1:55am
 Re: Love my job, but getting disheartened by fees - mg123 on 1/29/15 6:48pm
 CLPFlorida, if I lived in FL, I would capitalize on weddings -  BrendaTx on 1/27/15 1:33pm
 My 2 cents... [or maybe 50 cents? ;>)] -  JanetK_CA on 1/27/15 8:03pm
 DITTO BRAVO ~ All this and more... -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/27/15 11:23pm
 Re: Love my job, but getting disheartened by fees - Katmet on 1/28/15 6:13am
 Unified fees? Can't (shouldn't) be done. - Lee/AR on 1/28/15 6:42am
 Important to work for the right people -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/28/15 8:23am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.