Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Gail - I agree completely with MikeC & LKT. In addition,
Posted by  Christine/OK of OK on 6/28/16 8:04am Msg #555322
you'll want to factor in the other 'hard costs' of running your business.

In addition to the costs mentioned by LKT "(paper, toner, gas, time wear-&-tear on equipment, wear-&-tear on vehicle)" & time as well as those mentioned by PegiT "background checks, E&O insurance" & "the IRS" for federal income taxes along with state income (where applicable) taxes - you'll also want to factor in the following expenses:

Computers, printers, firewall, & peripheral equipment
Office supplies (pens, binder clips, envelopes, tape, etc.)
Vehicle maintenance & cleaning
Cell phone
Commission, licensing, certifications, etc.
Professional business attire & cleaning
Health insurance
Life insurance
Business umbrella insurance
Internet connection expenses
Notary Public/NSA "association" membership fees
Web site creation & maintenance fees
Advertising costs (including business cards, post cards, etc.)

Over time, Gail, you may discover additional expenses in addition to those I've listed above.

Doing research to determine if there is a good fit for you to perform this type of work is key to success, because it’s not the proverbial ‘cake walk’ that some companies advertise it to be.

Since you’re starting a business, it’s a good idea to reach out to SCORE (service corps of retired executives) online or in-person that offers many free [or for-a-fee] workshops.

Check out the competition.

Be professional in all that you do including the completion of reputable/successful training programs.

“You must spend money to make money” is true for nearly every business - including this one. You'll benefit from advertising.

Be prepared to have a schedule that is unpredictable with last-minute changes.

Protect your social security # by obtaining an EIN from the IRS: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-%28EIN%29-Online

With each signing, there are a myriad of people that you’ll need to interact with in order to successfully complete the signing engagement. Be professional. Be reliable. Provide service with a smile.

It's important to keep your business "fresh" and reaching out to new clients. Wishing you the best for success. Big Smile

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 New NSA - Gail Leonard on 6/27/16 6:13pm
 Re: New NSA - RonA/CA on 6/27/16 6:33pm
 Re: New NSA -  Yoli/CA on 6/27/16 6:43pm
 Re: New NSA - MikeC/TX on 6/27/16 7:04pm
 Re: New NSA - CH2inCA on 6/27/16 7:08pm
 Re: New NSA - LKT/CA on 6/27/16 7:40pm
 Lisa - does your breakdown take into account -  Linda_H/FL on 6/27/16 7:49pm
 I would hope that includes everything at 33% net income! -  sigtogo/OR on 6/28/16 11:17pm
 Re: New NSA - PegiT_MN on 6/27/16 8:19pm
 Good base formula for how to be profitable -  Cheryl Elliott on 6/28/16 7:00am
 Re: New NSA - KentCan on 6/29/16 3:13pm
 Thank you, KevinCan! Excellent post! Read this, newbies! -  JanetK_CA on 6/30/16 5:18pm
 You got your toes in the water, now listen to all who have - Lee/AR on 6/27/16 9:57pm
 Gail - I agree completely with MikeC & LKT. In addition, -  Christine/OK on 6/28/16 8:04am
 Re: Gail - I agree completely with MikeC & LKT. In addition, - Gail Leonard on 6/28/16 10:47am
 Very good, helpful post for newbies/new notaries. -  JanetK_CA on 6/28/16 2:41pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.