Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Orange search button
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 9/11/17 11:49pm Msg #582832
I've been doing this work for about 15 years, so I'll have a go at answering some of your questions, one by one. [BTW, I posted on this topic in a more recent thread from today, but that was before I read this one. And I have more time tonight than I did then.]

"I bet you and others have a treasure chest of stories pertaining to notary work."

Yes, we sure do! And a huge number of them have already been posted on this forum, which is precisely why we refer people to the archives accessible via the orange search button. There's at least a decade and a half of stories from a very wide array of notaries, already there for the looking. Some of them are also incredibly funny, others extremely insightful, even if some of the info is dated. [There's also a lot of stuff and nonsense, but that can be skipped over.]

"By the same token, don't you experienced notaries learn from us newbies?"

Honestly? Rarely. Only if someone has a novel idea or comes up with a question that hasn't been addressed previously and it starts up a new discussion, but that's really unusual. The vast majority of the time, people ask the same kinds of questions that newbies have been asking for many years, and it's often extremely obvious that they haven't even made an attempt to find answers on their own. [An exception might be tech issues, as that stuff changes so quickly these days. But people should always search first, as there could be a thread on the exact same topic from the day before. Happens a lot!]

"Doesn't it take you back to when you first started doing notary work? Don't you laugh when you read some of the newbie postings here because you've already been there?"

You want honesty again? Not really. That's because we've heard nearly all of it before, many times over, so it's more like an eye roll, sometimes a cringe. I'm not saying this to be mean or to put anyone down. I'm just trying to offer a different perspective which will hopefully help others see these things a little differently. Frankly, those of you newer notaries who have posted in this thread have come here with a better attitude than most. But that doesn't negate the message to anyone else who might be reading this. [And perhaps you'll see things a bit differently, too. Wink]

One more thing to be honest about is that it takes time to formulate a response. The faster someone dashes out a message, the more likely it is to be abrupt and risk offending someone, but we may not have time to smooth the edges so that no ones' feelings get ruffled. The choice is usually to offer nothing or offer at least something that might help the poster move forward in the right direction. When you're just starting out and don't have much work, you may have plenty of time to spend on this forum, but many 'seasoned' members here are scrambling, printing docs, making phone calls, driving from place to place, handling bookkeeping [yuck!], etc. to say nothing of trying to have a life. Some of us come here to de-stress, or do some reading over lunch, (when we manage to fit that in), so the most we might be able to kick out is a quick reference to searches. I can't count how many times I start a message, but don't complete it until later (and often not at all), trying to avoid sounding mean. I don't know if that's good or bad.

I could go on, but instead of repeating myself, I'll refer you to some similar thoughts I wrote over 11 years ago in response to a poster whose message was typical of many: Msg #95880. It proves that some things never change! Wink And for those of you who really ARE interested in growing and learning this business [as someone else posted, most questioners never bother to even post a reply], that message is part of a very large compilation of some of the best, most useful posts over many years, started by Dorothy/MI with Msg# 33325 in early 2005. It was added to up until 2013. For many, many years, that was the message we always referred newbies to as the ultimate starting point. Some of the factual data is outdated, of course, but there is still VERY much there that's well worth the time to read it all.

As I finish this, I'm realizing that this will probably get lost in the archives, too, but what the heck...
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Diss-apointed comments - Signerbill on 9/9/17 1:09pm
 Re: Diss-apointed comments -  Mindy/ on 9/9/17 3:07pm
 Re: Diss-apointed comments - Luckydog on 9/9/17 3:40pm
 Re: Diss-apointed comments -  Cari on 9/9/17 4:06pm
 Many have noticed the decline in the quality of posts on -  MW/VA on 9/9/17 5:13pm
 Totally agree MW/VA - Luckydog on 9/9/17 5:29pm
 Be the change that you wish to see n/m -  sigtogo/OR on 9/9/17 7:37pm
 The content is usually work related, but I do understand -  Cari on 9/9/17 5:57pm
 Re: The content is usually work related, but I do understand - SteveS/CA on 9/9/17 7:50pm
 On point! Perfect. Agree. n/m -  Cari on 9/9/17 8:46pm
 Re: The content is usually work related, but I do understand - Susan Littlefield on 9/10/17 9:29am
 Susan, best quote... -  Cari on 9/10/17 10:01am
 The problem now is that the most experienced notaries have -  MW/VA on 9/10/17 10:25am
 Re: The problem now is that the most experienced notaries have - SteveS/CA on 9/10/17 10:41am
 Re: The problem now is that the most experienced notaries have - Susan Littlefield on 9/10/17 12:09pm
 Re: The problem now is that the most experienced notaries have - Linda_H/FL on 9/10/17 12:15pm
 Re: The problem now is that the most experienced notaries have -  sueharke on 9/10/17 1:47pm
 "The problem now is that the most experienced notaries have -  Cari on 9/10/17 12:34pm
 * should be, "the orange search button is your friend" n/m -  Cari on 9/10/17 12:36pm
 Keep in mind when we say "the Orange Search Button - Linda_H/FL on 9/10/17 11:43am
 Re: Keep in mind when we say "the Orange Search Button - Susan Littlefield on 9/10/17 12:18pm
 Help is great to newbies but.... - Luckydog on 9/10/17 12:17pm
 Re: Help is great to newbies but.... - Susan Littlefield on 9/10/17 12:25pm
 You are the exception...and welcomed here, trust me - Luckydog on 9/10/17 12:35pm
 Re: You are the exception...and welcomed here, trust me - Susan Littlefield on 9/10/17 6:34pm
 "This is not a forum for newbies..." huh? Disagree. -  Cari on 9/10/17 12:57pm
 Re: The content is usually work related, but I do understand -  Yoli/CA on 9/10/17 12:22pm
 Re: The content is usually work related, but I do understand - Susan Littlefield on 9/10/17 12:27pm
 Orange search button - Luckydog on 9/10/17 12:40pm
 Re: Orange search button - Susan Littlefield on 9/10/17 1:38pm
 Re: Orange search button - Luckydog on 9/10/17 2:20pm
 Re: Orange search button - Susan Littlefield on 9/10/17 6:15pm
 Susan - rengel/CA on 9/10/17 8:37pm
 Re: Susan - Susan Littlefield on 9/10/17 10:44pm
 Re: Orange search button - Luckydog on 9/11/17 8:10am
 Re: Orange search button - Susan Littlefield on 9/11/17 8:41am
 Re: Orange search button -  JanetK_CA on 9/11/17 11:49pm
 Re: Orange search button - Susan Littlefield on 9/12/17 2:50am
 Re: Orange search button (thanks for the reality check). n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 9/12/17 5:58am
 Well said Janet. n/m - Linda_H/FL on 9/12/17 8:34am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.