Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Revised bill changing how certified copies done in VT
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 2/15/18 11:25am Msg #589928
The Vermont Legislature has made available a new revision of a bill to overhaul the law on notaries public:

https://legislature.vermont.gov/committee/document/2018/26/Bill/4162427#documents-section

In the versions up to now, the law just said that a notary could make official copies.

The new version of the short certificate would say, in part,

"to the best of my [the notary's] knowledge, the photocopied document is neither a public record nor a publicly recordable document, certified copies of which are available from an official source other than a notary public."

(There are other problems with attested copies that I won't go into in this post.)

I know some other states have similar language. In most cases, these seems wise; people shouln't be getting official copies of deeds from notaries if official copies are available from the county clerks. But I see two problems with this language.

1. A customer may need a certified copy before the recorded version becomes available. For example, a person might want a certified copy of a deed to prove residency for school registration, library card, tax benefits to residents of a state, etc., during the months that the deed wends its way from the title company to the county clerk. Or maybe the signer wants a certified copy in case it gets lost in the mail, or by the agency that's suppose to record it.

2. The document might be from a foreign country where an official copy is theoretically available, but not available in practice due to anarchy, unfriendly relations with the US, or the need to pay bribes to get anything done.

Have notaries in states that have language like this had problems with this sort of thing?

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Revised bill changing how certified copies done in VT -  VT_Syrup on 2/15/18 11:25am
 I'm all for being Proactive, But... - NVLSlady/VA on 2/16/18 5:09pm
 Re: I-m all for being Proactive, But... -  VT_Syrup on 2/16/18 6:53pm
 Only Vital Records do here. - NVLSlady/VA on 2/17/18 4:25pm
 Re: Only Vital Records do here. -  VT_Syrup on 2/17/18 6:29pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.