Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Agree with Lee/AR; And some thoughts on what we do...
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 4/28/19 7:36pm Msg #605950
It may be time to get the attention of our Representatives at a national level... I've been asking for people's opinions here and there about this effort and have yet to get a positive response. Most people that hear about it are horrified. One very smart friend of mine said, "If they're going to do that, they might as well just get rid of notarization altogether. It'd be a lot easier..." She wasn't serious, of course, but I thought she had an excellent point!

I think it boils down to what people believe about a notarial act to begin with. Those who understand that it should be about prevention of fraud and protection of the integrity of a transaction tend to be appalled about trying to notarize remotely. Those who just see it as an 'inconvenience', or an obstacle to be overcome, tend to think of RON as a great idea.

I see that so-called obstacle to be a critical moment during significant transactions where all the signatories are forced to stop for a moment so that an independent observer can confirm that those about to sign are, in fact, the party/parties named in the document and that they're doing so of their own free will. And, of course, that independent observer can administer an oath, as appropriate. WE all know that notarizing is about more than just a seal on a page.

Maybe a national PR campaign is what's needed, but sadly, that's a much more difficult undertaking. Perhaps, though, we could use social media to get the point across. Sadly, we obviously can't count on a certain national organization that claims to represents the interests of Notaries Public everywhere... Frown
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Notarize in violation of CA Gov Code section 8227.1 - Matt Miller on 4/28/19 1:05pm
 I'm on your side, but it can be argued that a notarization - Lee/AR on 4/28/19 3:51pm
 IMO it doesn't benefit anyone to be critical of the VA law. -  MW/VA on 4/30/19 8:46am
 If memory serves, companies like Notarize got onboard after - Lee/AR on 4/30/19 9:56am
 That's what I remember, too, and I agree! n/m -  JanetK_CA on 5/1/19 3:51pm
 I - Lee/AR on 4/28/19 3:55pm
 Agree with Lee/AR; And some thoughts on what we do... -  JanetK_CA on 4/28/19 7:36pm
 Re: And I agree with you on what we should do - Matt Miller on 4/28/19 8:38pm
 Sorry, but I think this is a bit of a reach - Linda_H/FL on 4/28/19 6:38pm
 Re: To clarify - Matt Miller on 4/28/19 7:28pm
 I disagree. -  JanetK_CA on 4/28/19 7:42pm
 Re: To further explain - Matt Miller on 4/28/19 8:30pm
 Not to hijack this thread .... - BearPaw/CO on 4/28/19 8:54pm
 Woops. Meant: JB piggybank n/m - BearPaw/CO on 4/28/19 8:58pm
 Re: I understand where you're coming from but... - Matt Miller on 4/28/19 9:02pm
 Re: To further explain - Yoli/CA on 4/29/19 9:32am
 Re: To further explain -  JanetK_CA on 4/29/19 2:55pm
 Re: To further explain - LJCA on 4/29/19 6:39pm
 Excellent & VERY interesting links, LJCA n/m - Lee/AR on 4/30/19 7:00am
 That's it exactly, Linda. I'm not a fan, but it seems -  MW/VA on 4/30/19 8:48am
 Re: Notarize in violation of CA Gov Code section 8227.1 - Matt Miller on 5/1/19 11:57am
 Re: Notarize in violation of CA Gov Code section 8227.1 -  JanetK_CA on 5/1/19 5:25pm
 Re: Notarize in violation of CA Gov Code section 8227.1 - Matt Miller on 5/3/19 9:36am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.