Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Pre-sign???
Posted by  Yoli/CA of CA on 3/12/24 8:30am Msg #647959
Had an email yesterday at 1:13pm from a new-to-me TC in Illinois for a pre-sign package with scan backs to be signed at 4:10pm. First of all ... what's a pre-sign? I thought maybe it was an application. You know ... sometimes lender can't get borrowers to complete the application process so they send someone out to "get it done." So, I reply that I am available and my fee with scan backs is $250. She responds saying it's a "pre-sign" for less than 60 pages. Okay, doesn't sound like one of those large packages. I change my quote (reiterating the "less than 60 pages") to $175. In 5 minutes, she accepts.

Nope. This was a seller's package for a cash transaction. Package consisted of approximately 35 pages, there were several notarizations, a witness was required for one of the documents. The interesting part was some of those notarization pages had the title of the document (i.e. Warranty Deed) at the top and a signature line for the seller and notary verbiage (non-California compliant); HOWEVER, the actual document (Deed or Affidavit) was not included. Yet, they wanted the signature notarized. Hmmm .... No can do. In California, I cannot notarize an incomplete document. Granted, that page has a title of Warranty Deed and signature line and notary verbiage. BUT, nothing else. Same for a couple of other docs.

Prior to accessing docs, I try contacting signers to confirm. Leave a voice mail message requesting return call ASAP. Send a text with same request. Get an email address from Title and send email with same request. No response. At 2:28, I email TC and attorney involved asking how they wish to proceed and advising if I print and travel to signing location, a full fee is incurred. No response. At 2:42pm I email all parties to please re-assign. Funny, signers call me back 10 minutes later. Too late. Someone else will be calling you.

Perhaps I was reading too much into this. I just wasn't comfortable with the whole transaction. Business may be slow; but, I'm not risking my commission.

Thoughts?

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Pre-sign??? -  Yoli/CA on 3/12/24 8:30am
 Re: Pre-sign??? - TR/NC on 3/12/24 8:45am
 Re: Pre-sign??? Also adding..... - TR/NC on 3/12/24 9:05am
 Re: Pre-sign??? - VT_Syrup on 3/12/24 9:44am
 Re: Pre-sign??? - Lee/AR on 3/12/24 3:30pm
 Re: Pre-sign??? - Julie/MI on 3/21/24 12:28pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.