Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Notarizing Wills in California
Posted by MRA/CA of CA on 11/23/10 2:16pm Msg #362560
I got a call to notarize a will. It is being drafted by an attorney for her mother and supposedly needs to be notarized. She hasn't seen it yet, so she couldn't tell me for sure if it was actually a Trust (which includes a Will) or only a Will.

I have never notarized a Will before and from memory, I do not believe we are allowed to. I have acted as a witness to Wills many times before (for someone not related to me), while notarizing Trusts.

I tried to look for a reference in the 2010 CA Handbook and Code about notarizing Wills so that I could have something to show the lady who called me, and could not find anything on the subject.

I called the CA SOS, and the lady told me to look at page 6; I was shocked to actually get an answer from them since they usually just tell me to seek the advice of an attorney when I call with a question. Unfortunately, Page 6 only talks about not being able to practice law and give legal advice. It doesn't reference Wills at all.

Can someone direct me to where it says specifically that in CA we cannot (or can) notarize Wills? Thanks.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Notarizing Wills in California - MRA/CA on 11/23/10 2:16pm
 Re: Notarizing Wills in California -  Les_CO on 11/23/10 2:40pm
 Re: Notarizing Wills in California -  JanetK_CA on 11/23/10 2:57pm
 Re: Notarizing Wills in California -  Marian_in_CA on 11/23/10 3:02pm
 Re: Notarizing Wills in California -  Les_CO on 11/23/10 3:36pm
 None of this is our concern -  JanetK_CA on 11/23/10 4:43pm
 Re: None of this is our concern -  Marian_in_CA on 11/23/10 5:17pm
 Re: None of this is our concern - MRA/CA on 11/24/10 12:22pm
 Re: Notarizing Wills in California - MRA/CA on 11/24/10 12:11pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.