Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #85

1 replies
M.I.S.
By Negrete on 8/22/03 11:14am

Mortgage Information Services

Can anyone tell me what M.I.S. is payng there notary signing agent ?
I own a noatary signing service that has been charging M.I.S the same fee for the past 2 1/2 months, all of a sudden they say I am charging to much money for signings.

Msg #84

0 replies
M.I.S.
By Anonymous on 8/22/03 11:11am

Msg #83

0 replies
Northern CA notary luncheon details
By  Myla_CA on 8/17/03 11:33pm

Here's the scoop:

Date: Sunday, Sept. 28

901 Gilman St.
Berkeley, CA 94710

Time: 12 noon-1:00 Socializing/Networking
1:00-3:00 Meeting agenda/lunch
3:00-4:00 (?) More socializing and/or follow-up discussions

Cost: $15 per person

RSVP as early as possible in case we need to upgrade to a larger room, no later than Sept. 18.

Please RSVP with check (payable to Holly) included to:

Holly Cartier
47000 Warm Springs Blvd., #268
Fremont, CA 94539

Hope to see you there!

Msg #82

1 replies
Notaries At Sea
By Suzanne L. Neeley on 8/17/03 1:47pm

I just wanted to thank those of you who inquired about Notaries At Sea. It was such a huge success that there will be future Notaries At Sea cruises. Everyone is welcome to visit the site, complete with free public message board, for more information as the future cruises develop. Many thanks to all!

The site is located at: http://notariesatsea.com

Msg #78

2 replies
Scared Newbie looking for mentor to ride with
By Sasha ........ on 8/13/03 5:29pm

I live in Los Angeles, Ca and am looking for someone I can accompany on a signing or regular notorization...or 2, to learn the basic procedures and presentation. PLEASE!

I'll even buy lunch~

Msg #76

2 replies
Long Time
By Christina Watson on 8/12/03 5:38pm

I am trying to stay in the loop here. I haven't posted in a long time. But do companies really think they are going to get a notary to go to someone's house to sign loan documents when you know they are making $125.00 to $150.00+ for just calling and scheduling a notary to go to their borrowers homes. $45.00 dollars is crazy especially if you have to fax them, take you time driving to their homes, wear on your vehicles, pay your own taxes. Some signings take on average especially a refi. about 30-45minutes if the borrowers know what they are actually signing. If there are problems they may take 2 hours or so. I have actually had a signing take 2 hours due to it being after hours and the borrowers having so many questions. Many borrowers don't realize when you go to their home you don't know alot about their loan.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but their doesn't seem to be always a standard set of documents on a signing unless you repeatedly work with the same lender/ title/ escrow company.

I am just curious why notaries actually would except anything less than $60.00 or $75.00 dollars ?

Msg #71

1 replies
Adventures in signing!
By Flavia Berys on 8/10/03 9:07pm

I just designed a website for my mobile notary services: http://www.berys.com/notary. Besides working as a mobile notary, I am also a graphic artist and have created a few websites (but I NEVER advertise myself as a web designer--I prefer designing business cards and brochures-- because I don't have the time to keep up with all the new web design techniques that come out. So the sites I make are pretty simple, and I use my graphic art skills to make them look good. Maybe someday I will learn Flash and all that new jazz!)

Here are other websites I have designed:
http://www.berys.com/weddings
http://www.berys.com
http://www.berys.com/carolina (my sister's massage business)
http://www.berys.com/sockers (a team I coach)

I recently found this board and I think it's great. It's nice to be able to read about other notary's issues and to be able to find advice and help. Notary Rotary did a great job, and I receive many calls from escrow companies that found my website through this directory!

After I made my website I decided to combine my two freelance jobs: I put up a listing on eBay for a complete notary website design package. I have all of the info on eBay right now, you can go to eBay and perform a search for "Notary." That should make it pop up. Or click this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2550393732&category=46687

If you are interested in having your own website, check out the auction. Just to let you know, I haven't gotten bids through the system... so far everyone who is interested calls me and we get it done outside of eBay. I am also going to work with a notary in New England who wants to have me design websites for her students.

Feel free to email me! I love to chat with other notaries. Networking is a great thing!

-Flavia Berys
http://www.berys.com/notary

Msg #70

1 replies
Alden Enterprises
By TinaMA on 8/10/03 8:35am

Alden Enterprises is owned by the same people who owned the old Assured Signings. Ever since they started this new company, most Notaries on the goMobileNotary board have said that they will not work for them due to being owed monies under the old Assured Signings.

I would start sending them serious collection letters. You might also want to check into using a collection agency.

Msg #69

0 replies
Alden
By Anonymous on 8/10/03 6:31am

I do believe "Alden" is the old "Assured" which many people have had trouble with.

Msg #68

0 replies
Alden Enterprises
By Anonymous on 8/9/03 9:18pm

have done 2 jobs for these people and no pay for April on yet on August 9? Anyone know anything about them?

Msg #67

0 replies
Notary Income
By notarysol on 8/9/03 5:23pm

Hello PAW and #62...

In my great state of louisiana, we are exempt from all taxes except IRS of course. I have found the NNA site to be useless to me. I am a member of the local chapter of Professional Civil Law Notary Association of North LA and they are very thorough in updating us with Legislation Laws on the state and fed level. It is my sincere hope that we all be blessed in our bizs and continue to use this notary rotary resource (which seems to be a good one) to help each other grow.

Msg #66

0 replies
RE: #62 - Notary Income
By PAW Notary Services on 8/9/03 9:33am

Patrick, et al... Be advised that only the duly authorized fee for a notarization is exempt for SE taxes. Any and all other fees derived over and above the state allowed fee is fully taxable for both general income taxes and SE taxes.

As for mileage deductions, unless you are keeping very accurate records of every expense, I suggest that the IRS allowable 36˘ per mile calculation be used for your automobile expense.

Finally, don't trust the NNA to provide accurate information. Unfortunately, they are wrong more than they are right and all too often provide misleading information. For tax issues, go to the source... http://www.irs.gov and look in their small business section. There is a wealth of information regarding these and many other tax related issues.

Msg #65

4 replies
$45 fee then what? I was approached with a $40 fee!
By TinaMA on 8/7/03 7:37pm

I'm the same way. I read all the boards and take note of the companies with the most complaints. Should any of these companies call me, I'm booked.

There are many good companies that pay for services in a timely manner. No need to clutter up my scheduled with no pay/slow payers.

Msg #64

0 replies
New notary - how to get experience
By TinaMA on 8/7/03 7:33pm

I would suggest doing a search on this site using a zip code near yours and then start calling the Notaries with your proposal.

Msg #63

1 replies
New notary - how to get experience
By David Jeffrey on 8/7/03 5:08pm

I am a college student, newly qualified as a notary hoping to earn some cash signing loan docs. My problem is getting started. The signing agencies I have spoken to want experienced notaries.

My idea is that if I could go along (unpaid) to assist with a couple of signings I could learn the ropes and then be let loose on my own. Kind of an apprenticeship/internship. I was hoping that a busy signing service would be interested in this - using me to expand their business and take on more work. Does anyone have any advice please? Thanks.

Msg #62

1 replies
Notary Expense Software
By Patrick Bailey on 8/7/03 3:11am

I was wondering how many of you as Notary Publics are aware of the fact that Notary income is exempt from Self Employment taxes under IRS guidlines??? I understand if I am using a vehicle for my personal use, then say I have a "regular" job and then do Signings as well that I might need to distinguish which part of my expenses are related to which function of my life. I don't know about other States, but The Great State of Maine where I live uses the same tax code as the IRS and so my Notary income is exempt from State Self Employment Tax as well. I live on a disabilty pension from the VA and SSDI and in 10 years performing "Witness" closings I've yet to be audited by the State or the IRS due to the exemption of my income from self employment tax. This information is readily available, at least as far as I know, fom NNA which is where I got the info from when they were in their previous incarnation as NASA! Most of the record keeping I perform is what is required of me by State law to document the transactions I perform in my Office as Notary Public.

Msg #61

0 replies
$45 fee then what? I was approached with a $40 fee!
By Patrick Bailey on 8/7/03 2:28am

It's getting stupid, the smaller companies are dropping their rates to get more business and the less reputable lending institutions and banks (which posted record profits last year by the way) are eating it up. I refuse to work anymore for low payors, slow payors, or excuse givers anymore. There ARE enough top notch professional company's out there that aren't afraid to pay me a respectable fee AND pay me on time because the reputable banks ARE starting to wake up to the fact that once again it's a buyers market and customer service is the order of the day!

Msg #60

0 replies
Rates in PA
By TinaMA on 8/4/03 7:59am

You should NEVER accept any signing for less than $50.00. Other than that, fees are going to depend on how your area is.

You're going to need to research your area and see how many Notaries there are in your area. If you're the only Notary in a 50 mile radius you can name your price. If you're one of 50 Notaries in that same area, you're going to be competing with the other 49 Notaries – and chances are, one of them will always undercut the rest of you.

You'll know if you're charging too much if the SS tells you that, "they need to check with their supervisor and will get back to you." That's code for "I can find someone to do this signing cheaper."

I would suggest making yourself a fee list to keep with you at all times. When a SS calls you, you’ll be able to look at your list and know what you charge for that city/town.

This is a lot of work – it took me almost a week to come up with fees for every city/town in MA. But this is very well worth it. You will always know what to charge.

Msg #59

0 replies
Re: Software Suggestions (see #30 & #50) Not Found
By Harry [NR] on 8/3/03 8:53pm

I believe our site does or will provide at least as much functionality as any desktop software application you can buy. Our Docs system can be used to keep track of your business relationships. In the next week or two, it will also be able to track your work orders/signings. In the future, we'll be adding capabilities such as invoicing, integrated driving directions, etc. Finally, we are in discussions with a number of signing agencies who would like to use it to help manage their businesses. You could actually start receiving your work orders through Notary Rotary!

Harry

Msg #58

3 replies
Software Suggestions (see #30 & #50) Not Found
By Bob on 8/3/03 4:42pm

See Msg #30 regarding software "Easy1-Person Office" and also Msg #50 regarding "Notary Tracker". Neither of these suggested tools could be located anywhere on the web (i.e., the site notarytracker.com doesn't even exist). I think we need exact links before we can make an examination. Thanks anyhow.

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.