Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #591842

8 replies
EIN or SSN
By David DM Services, LC on 4/2/18 10:47pm

Should I be providing my SSN or EIN to all the sites I sign up with. I thought it was my EIN, but someone from Sunshine Signing said they needed my SSN instead

Msg #591841

5 replies
TAX HELP
By David DM Services, LC on 4/2/18 10:43pm

I GIVE UP! Filing taxes for two schedule C's. One as a notary with less income than expenses, and then as a phone service, with more income than expenses.

I need a tax person familiar with a mobile notary business.

Any ideas welcomed with open arms. Smile

Msg #591840

0 replies
Notarization request for tomorrow's elections in St. Louis
By grapebed on 4/2/18 9:14pm

I have received several calls today about whether my "company" could supply 3 or 4 notaries to work from 5:00 PM-approximately 8:30. They would pay $40.00 for the job. I had a conflict, so thankfully I could pass.

Then I received a call from another notary who had accepted the assignment for $40.00, recruited another notary for $40.00 and was looking for a third notary ( @$40.00). Who are these notaries accepting jobs for less than minimum wage when you deduct for travel costs? If these notaries spent 3 1/2 hours on Marketing, Marketing, Marketing, I can guarantee you that they would make substantially more than minimum wage for their efforts to promote their businesses.

Yes, we are public servants. But I could get a volunteer job or became a staff worker at the Missouri SOS office at a salary of $58,000 plus benefits, vacation, sick pay, medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, etc.

Msg #591831

8 replies
background checks
By Janina Dabate on 4/2/18 5:23pm

Is there any other company to get an "acceptable" background check besides NNA?

Msg #591818

4 replies
Another potential uproar!
By ArtG/KS on 4/2/18 11:34am

While each state has its own notary laws and some title companies imply the "Full Faith and Credit Clause", requires us to follow another state's notary rules is of course an overstep. I just heard where one company (don't ask who) wants a national notary law just to cover interstate transactions. I would only agree if they could be absolutely sure such would be uniform and have a way of regulating that, which of course they do not.

Msg #591810

11 replies
Misspelled Names on Documents
By  ikando on 4/2/18 8:12am

On another thread about having time to review documents before heading to the signing, the comment was made that the title and lending documents had different spellings for the names of the signers.

Maybe because I'm a proofreader in my other business, I take the time to look over documents. That doesn't seem to be the case with the "we gotta get it done right now" world today.

I met with a landman Saturday to notarize lease agreements for a family. Six signers, two of which commented that their names were misspelled or otherwise incorrect. I had nothing to do with the document preparations, but it seems to me somehow someone should have reviewed that with them before the appointment was made to sign.

I've encountered similar situations with attorneys and others who prepare contracts or other legal documents. I know a lot of people rely on computer-generated formats, but if the correct information isn't put in, garbage in = garbage out.

Speed should not be the main criteria for any document to be signed, but for legal documents that will be filed of record forever, critical review should be a top priority. JMHO

Msg #591806

0 replies
Another Data Breach: this time at Saks Fifth Avenue and
By grapebed on 4/1/18 8:10pm

Lord & Taylor. At least 5,000,000 customers affected.

Remote Closings anyone?

Msg #591801

4 replies
Paper
By  walthtz on 4/1/18 4:40pm

On Sale for letter Case @ Costco Online with Free Shipping.
32.99 - $ 4.00 coupon that they deduct.
So I got 2,
1 of the cases came in damaged.
I called them & they sent 2 more to make up for the damage.
So, 28.99 divided by 4 cases = 14.49 per case.
Great deal (at least for me)

Msg #591794

7 replies
How much extra should I charge to back data docs?
By JustANotary on 4/1/18 10:29am

How much extra should I charge to notarize a set of loan docs with yesterday's date instead of tody's date of APRIL FIRST?

Msg #591781

18 replies
Ans. from SOS, CA Witnessing and Notarizing same Doc
By HeatherR/CA on 3/30/18 6:25pm

Notaries@sos.ca.gov <notariesmail@sos.ca.gov>

11:46 AM (4 hours ago)
to me

Dear Ms. Reinhold,

Thank you for contacting our office regarding the duties of a notary public.

When a notary public is notarizing a signature on a document, the notary is already witnessing the signing of the document; therefore, it is not recommended that the notary public also act as a ‘witness’ on a document.

Generally, the intention of both a witness and a notary public is to have two separate individuals witness the signature of the principal signer.

Sincerely,

Notary Public & Special Filings Section

A summary of the new laws and helpful information is available on our website at www.sos.ca.gov/notary/newsletter.

Msg #591770

3 replies
One Stop Notary Shop out of Arlington, Texas
By MrMendez on 3/30/18 11:29am

Hello all,

Has anyone done any recent work for One Stop Notary Shop out of Arlington, Texas? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Msg #591764

3 replies
Email an clever attempt to add NSA to THEIR database......
By  Pamela/CA on 3/30/18 10:32am

Partner/Husband got an email from what purports to be an Escrow company trying to pay him for a long ago job he performed and they want his W9 so they can pay....Sound familiar?
Of course, like most of you fine NSA's, we installed QuickBooks first day of biz and was easy to run their name in our Client Database.... NO SALE!
Have been hounded lately via email AND calls to provide my credentials so that I can get "work". I think they mean - so THEY can work ME by presenting a credible database to potential Lenders/Title to beat out, what must be by now, a life or death competition to stay in the biz!

Msg #591759

9 replies
Why it's important to review docs before heading out
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/30/18 9:01am

to the signing...

I began looking over the purchase set of docs I'm signing in a while, and see that the borrower's name is spelled two different ways on title and lenders documents.

I contacted title officer right away and he sent me corrected documents and I folded them in and removed the misspelled documents.

A very high end client who would not have appreciated the misspelling. It would have been a disaster.

Every now and again we get to save the deal/day!

Msg #591751

6 replies
Happy n/m
By  Ilene C. Seidel on 3/30/18 6:10am

Msg #591748

5 replies
CAN or Ca Association of Notaries
By Comet53/CA on 3/30/18 1:06am

Hello, is any one a member of CAN or CA Association of Notaries? Is it worth the subscription? Thank you.

Msg #591740

1 replies
Field to the right of the company
By Gary/Wa on 3/29/18 5:19pm

In viewing a company like Mortgage Connect LP there is a field to the right of the company partially filled in red. Is there a place where I can view what the field means? I noticed there were some fields which had a different color filled in. I have not a clue what this means. Can anyone help?

Msg #591724

6 replies
Latest notary bill draft in VT gives and takes powers
By  VT_Syrup on 3/29/18 12:38pm

The latest draft of the bill that will overhaul the notary law in VT may be read at https://legislature.vermont.gov/assets/Documents/2018/WorkGroups/Senate%20Government%20Operations/Bills/H.526/H.526~BetsyAnn%20Wrask~Draft%20No.%202.1,%203-13-2018~3-13-2018.pdf

A few key changes:

-New power: signature witnessing

-Power being lost: certifying copies

-New mandatory hardware: official stamp

-New requirements: education for new notaries, continuing education and test for renewing notaries

One thing that won't change is there will still be no requirement to use a journal.

Msg #591720

7 replies
Took a look at SigningPro ...
By BearPaw/CO on 3/29/18 12:11pm

... which appears to be the new inhouse signing agent site for ORTC, and Whoa! Hot blonde babe-alicious notary showing a hint of provocative cleavage and wearing ARE YOU SITTING DOWN?! skinny blue jeans. Yes, denim. Jeans. Tight. Cleavage. Holy cow! Guess all previous stuffy NSA dress codes re business attire are out the door.

I'll say one thing: If I looked remotely like her, I certainly wouldn't be trudging to borrower's houses in 5 feet of new spring snow (like I was doing earlier this week) in my LL Bean boots with cleats. I'd be trophy-wife skiing in Vail with my rich husband. Actually, I'll say another: If she showed up at my door with loan papers, I'd send her packin' before my hubby saw her.

But wait! If you read further, SigningPro does have a two-page NSA dress code in which their notary model is in SERIOUS violation. According to their blah blah blah, it's back to boring two-piece business suits. Haha

Msg #591707

20 replies
Amrock fka Title Source app closings
By Colonel/IA on 3/29/18 9:44am

Accepted two closings on the app yesterday. I was too slow for five other closings. This morning I turned my phone on at 7:15 and saw I had missed two closings. How early do they go to work?! If I have the least hesitation in accepting a closing it is gone. I wonder if it is my cell phone company's network that causes my missing closings by not being fast enough.

Msg #591702

10 replies
Looking for guidance on an Ack for a business loan.
By  MW/VA on 3/29/18 8:52am

I've never had one with this wording & the signing is this afternoon. I did reach out to the tc.
The wording is as follows:
"The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me, the undersigned Notary Public, in the City/County and State aforesaid, this ____ day of ______________ by _________________, as ______________ of _______________ a ______________ on behalf of the _______________."

I would complete is as "this 29th day of March, 2018, by John Doe, President of John Doe, Inc., a VA Corp. on behalf of the Corp.
I know CA doesn't allow "capacity", so does anyone have a different take on this?

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.