Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #599148

2 replies
Message Deleted
By User from 185.245.87.154 on 10/5/18 10:04am

This message has been deleted by a forum moderator.

Reason: Advertising

Msg #599122

8 replies
"Signing Agent Declaration"
By Sue on 10/4/18 3:53pm

Has anyone signed this document? I am having issues with the "under penalty of perjury of the laws of the State of ___________ that the following is true and accurate" part. It then goes on to say " I have completed a training course that is the basis for me being able to provide sales presentations for ******** Law Group." I was OK with this until I got to this document.

Msg #599111

9 replies
Fake email from First American Financial Corporation
By CW2Ret/VA on 10/4/18 1:12pm

From Linda Cwiek <LCwiek@northkingstown.org>. Someone did this last Feb. and they are at it again.

Msg #599107

14 replies
Holy Shipt. I took a look at a couple of notary Facebook
By grapebed on 10/4/18 12:03pm

groups that I am a member of. I rarely look at the posts and have not done so in months. I was shocked. Many of the recent posts are about getting a new or side gig during this slow period. One particular thread was about becoming a grocery shopper and delivery person for a company called SHIPT. I had never of SHIPT. The post named other similar such as Instacart, Favor, etc and other side gigs as baby sitter or dog walker.

If you are young enough and strong enough to shop and deliver groceries, I would implore you. Don't be a notary. Don't waste your time looking for side gigs. Get a real job, with a real company with real benefits. You will spend the rest of your life regretting your time as a notary.

The economy is booming. Lots of great jobs. Your talents and skills as an NSA, running your own business, etc will serve you well in a job hunt. Spend the next 60 days looking for a decent job. It will serve you well for the next 60 years.

Msg #599100

7 replies
Social Security Administration verification form ...
By Yoli/CA on 10/4/18 9:08am

The SSA release authorization form has verbiage right above the signature line which states:

"This consent is valid only for 90 days from the date signed, unless indicated otherwise by the individual named above. If you wish to change this timeframe, fill in the following:

This consent is valid for ___ days from the date signed. _____ (Please initial.)"

In my almost 13 years of doing this, only once has the borrower indicated a different timeframe and initialed. Usually, we just leave that blank, IME. One other time, TC specifically instructed to have borrowers initial. Borrowers did so. However, they also wrote in "90" in that blank. They were not leaving anything to chance.

Last week, I had one that borrower left blank (TC had not given instructed otherwise). BUT, when TC received docs, she called and said borrower should have initialed. She was contacting borrower directly to have that "corrected." I pointed out to her that form specifically stated "if you wish to change ...." TC said the initialing requirement is lender-specific and this particular lender wants initials. Guess NSA should have been notified?

What's your procedure on this? I'm starting to second-guess myself .....

Msg #599080

13 replies
just when I think I've seen it all......
By notarydi/CA on 10/3/18 3:07pm

have signing coming up with buyer taking title as "married man as his sole and separate property". Have Quitclaim for the wife to sign. Have a DOT and some other docs (Sig/Name Affidavit, 1-4 Rider, etc.) with signature lines for BOTH husband and wife to sign. Vesting line of DOT reads "married man as sole and separate property". Questioned this with EO and she said, yes, she had questioned that with lender as well. She double checked with lender and title and yes, this particular lender requires the non-borrowing spouse to still sign the DOT and some misc docs even tho she's not going to be on title.

I think I have fallen down the rabbit hole, Alice...…Smile

Msg #599069

6 replies
All Star Title
By  LynnNC on 10/3/18 12:06pm

All Star Title is no longer in business. When I called the old number to check on an invoice, I was told that thy are now Bay National. Kay Trippe is with them and they will be using Snapdocs. She said with the new company they will have more flexibility with fees.

Msg #599065

8 replies
Get a free magstripe reader from square.com/free
By  Cheryl Elliott on 10/3/18 10:45am

No setup fees, no monthly fees, no long-term commitments and no chargeback fees.

Accepts all major credit cards, deposits as fast as the next business day, chargeback protection and fraud protection. Has a chip reader, and tap and go on the new square reader. You can download the square app to process payments and send digital receipts, track sales and more all in one free POS app.

Msg #599064

2 replies
Things in HECM (Reverse Mortgage) signings that can go BOO!
By Bear900/CA on 10/3/18 10:42am

Obvious items to be covered by the LO, but just so you aren’t totally blindsided and bewildered by what you may see going forward if you are in the business of signing HECM loans.

The LO should have already covered these issues so PLEASE direct the consumer's attention to their LO!

1. APPRAISAL FEES

Starting Oct 1, 2018, FHA will be conducting a Collateral Risk Assessment on HECM loans before they fund that may require a 2nd appraisal.

NOTE TO NOTARY: You may see two appraisal fees in some reverse mortgages that require the second appraisal. The second appraisal may be financed into the loan. So it’s possible to see one fee POC (paid outside of closing) and one paid at closing.

http://hecmworld.com/reverse-mortgage-news/hecm-collateral-risk-assement-2nd-appraisal/

2. Why does the Promissory Note and DOT show a larger (sometimes huge) lien on the house in some states (CA for sure)?

A reverse mortgage has a growth feature if it’s a line of credit. The line of credit grows on an annual basis. How is this covered on the Note and DOT?

"HUD policy does not require a maximum mortgage amount to be stated in the mortgage. Where State law requires the mortgage to reflect a maximum mortgage amount, the lender must use an amount that is equal to 150% of the maximum claim amount. This amount is required because the loan payments are secured not only by the current value of the house but also by any possible appreciation in value. This amount is intended to protect the borrower in the later years of the mortgage. When a maximum mortgage amount is stated in the mortgage, the lender is not secured for payments to the borrower beyond the stated amount. If the mortgage balance reaches the maximum mortgage amount, payments to the borrower would cease or the borrower would have to try to extend the mortgage which may not be possible if the property value has declined or if other liens were placed on the property. Both of these risks are greatly reduced when the maximum mortgage amount is a higher amount."

(HUD manual 4235.1 REV-1)
http://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/42351C6HSGH.PDF

Example:

The CY2018 basic standard mortgage limit (Maximum Claim Amount) for FHA insured loans for HECMs in SLO County, CA is: $679,650.00

$679,650.00 x 1.5 = $1,019,475.00 <<< The amount that will be shown on the Promissory Note and the DOT regardless of the LOC amount. This is JUST for variable rate HECM LOCs, not fixed, lump sum HECMs.

3. A 2nd Mortgage HECM?

Yes, Finance America Reverse (FAR) just introduced a proprietary second mortgage non-FHA HECM that will allow the consumer to continue making payments on their lower rate 1st.

More weirdness to follow.

And now about the weather: It’s raining!

Msg #599056

14 replies
The view from the other side of the aisle. I had my refi
By  MW/VA on 10/3/18 9:23am

signing the other day. I had let the notary know upfront that I'm an experienced NSA & this would be an easy one for them. Well, it didn't turn out that way. I won't go into particular issues, but I got the view of the kind of notary that is out there doing it their own way--only one set of docs shrunk to letter size, no order (I always put my signings in a stacking order for efficiency), I had provided a copy of my d/l & they were going to take it with their phone anyway, etc. They had actually asked if I wanted the docs emailed for review & I had passed on it. It turns out they routinely email the docs to the borrowers instead of providing paper copies. I tried to indicate that they were making decisions that they shouldn't be making, but I could tell it was a waste of time.
It just reminded me of why this industry is in decline.

Msg #599051

2 replies
At the risk of being a little too cheeky
By  Cheryl Elliott on 10/3/18 12:18am

My email to title scheduling after a fiasco signing tonight...

I arrived right on time, 6pm, to find only Mrs. Vanetti at home. She informed me that she had texted her husband to remind him of our appointment, and he texted her back to say he signed up for another hour of work and wouldn't be home until after 7pm.

I already had two more signings scheduled after this one, so I went on to be on time for those and returned at 7:45pm to the borrowers' home to get their signatures.

It was stressful and awkward, and I vote for giving the borrowers a huge defect for their lack of respect for this hard working, diligent, spot on NSA.

You gotta see the humor sometimes. Rate lock expires in two days, WTH were they thinking????

Cheryl Elliott, CSNA

Msg #599047

2 replies
XYZ
By Jayhawk/KS on 10/2/18 7:50pm

What is this?

Msg #599036

8 replies
Just downloaded HIYA
By  Cheryl Elliott on 10/2/18 5:01pm

My phone is going crazy with calls for better interest rates, rent to own, phone systems, office supplies, libido enhancing drugs...can't even focus here with all the annoying calls....

I need a phone wife.

Msg #599033

1 replies
MortgageDocs.com
By Integrity Notary Service Inc. - Jacqueline on 10/2/18 3:11pm

I have been receiving offers from this company that has been very very low coming to my emails. When I tried to contact the company to let them know I could perform this signing but for a much higher fee, the phone number states it was disconnected.

Needless to say, with the wonderful help of Notary Rotary and all the negative comments on here, I decline their business altogether.

They are sending emails as Career Education Corp?

Thanks for the heads up everyone! I appreciate all your bewares!

Msg #599032

7 replies
Electronic OHHHooo
By Signerbill on 10/2/18 2:51pm

I get a call from a reg. attorney client asking about how signings work?? Interesting since I have done about 100 with him and his clients. He interest was in how signing documents online worked and if I did them. As I do some, I asked if he needed some help with a transaction... Seems he is representing a wife in an after divorce case where she was to get the house. Seems Ex refi'd off the loan... good.... but in the new finance took the ltv from about 25% to almost 80% on an adjustable IO so the payments would be almost the same. I questioned the payment saying that was unlikely based on the numbers... Well.. tax, ins. and HOA on one but not the other....Wife claimed that she only saw deed and note (yes I questioned that) and something from the HOA... I did mentioned that she would have been sitting in front of a computer so she would see all documents. Seems husband just initialed everything for the wife and filled out the wire transfer for himself before she got there. She only found out about this after the completed copy arrived and her tax person asked for the TiL.. I can't wait for part II of this..

Msg #599015

4 replies
Update On My Continuing Quest For Direct Work
By  PegiT_MN on 10/1/18 6:19pm

Thank you to all the notaries who post here in regard to the benefits of working directly for loan officers and escrow officers. I want to thank you for your wisdom, your guidance, and most of all your encouragement in nudging us all out of our comfort zones to go out and get that direct work.

While it remains difficult in Minnesota, it is possible. My many years as a notary signing agent has taken me to many a lender's office, real estate office, title company, bank, etc. I am learning to give them my card and to not be afraid to ask for their business in the future.

I recently went to a lender's office for the second time for a Florida purchase closing (I love our Minnesota snowbirds). Once the closing was completed, and the borrowers had left, I asked the loan officer if I could bring in some treats the following week. He said they would love it. So today as we planned, I brought fresh baked muffins (from the local bakery) and fresh cut fruit (I cut that myself) along with my business cards. They have a sweet little dog that comes to work every day with his momma and he got something too. . . a gift bag of nice treats and a dog toy. I used my "thank you for your business" cards and adhered one to the fruit container and one to the little dog's gift bag. It was a hit!

So now I have received two very nice thank you e mails from the loan officers and the office manager has told me that they would love for me to close their transactions . . . especially the Florida ones since I am so familiar with the documentation.

I am absolutely over the moon with how this is working out and I want to thank each and every one of you that has taught of the benefits of going after that direct work . . . I could not have done this without you. Many heartfelt thanks to all of you for helping me.

Msg #599011

15 replies
paper
By  walthtz on 10/1/18 10:05am

good October 1 to all.
anyone know of any deals on cases of Legal paper???

Msg #599007

2 replies
A V O I D National Womens Notary Association, Inc PasadenaFL
By  Cheryl Elliott on 9/30/18 3:32pm

HERE'S A NEW SCAMMING CERTIFICAIION OUTFIT run by Laurie Christensen, FL notary in Pasadena, FL formerly St. Petersburg.

GOOGLE:

Laurie Christensen aka Laurie Gago aka Laurie Fiore...lots to learn.

SPREAD THE WORD...avoid being scammed by these swindlers.

Why hasn't the Florida Attorney General and the St. Petersburg FL DA not shut them down yet? Hawaii, Texas too, Laurie Christensen been a notary for a long time. Laurie's father is a loan officer, probably sends all his loans to her for signing. Scary.

Don't let these people into your wallet.

Msg #598995

4 replies
In case you missed it due to the wacky news cycle
By MikeC/TX on 9/29/18 3:59pm

we've been having lately, as of about a week ago all credit reporting agencies are required to provide the ability to freeze/unfreeze your credit files free of charge, something that used to cost as much as $10 a pop in both directions. This enables you to control who has access to your credit - you can unfreeze one or more of them if you want to take out a loan, buy a car, rent an apartment, etc., and freeze them again when the check is done.

The bad news is that, unlike a fraud alert which is automatically coordinated among agencies, credit freezes/unfreezes must be done with each individual agency, and each will require that you use a PIN to freeze/unfreeze your credit files. The URLs for the credit reporting agencies can be found at http://www.identitytheft.gov/

The length of time a fraud alert (usually used when fraud has actually been committed) stays in effect is now a year, up from 90 days. These have always been free, but they are difficult if not impossible to lift, so choose wisely - once a fraud alert is in effect, NO ONE can access your credit files, even if you want them to. That could mean foregoing that loan or a new car for as much as a year, so unless you've been the victim of actual fraud, it could be a solution to a problem you don't have - and one that could have unintended consequences.

Msg #598986

4 replies
TC requiring copy of notary's commission AND ID ...
By Yoli/CA on 9/29/18 11:46am

BancServ mobile app sent out offer at about 8 pm last night for Monday morning signing. I like working with them as they always meet my fee and pay twice a month so I readily accepted. 15 minutes later, I get my confirmation and read the TC instructions. Well! Not only are they requiring copies of 2 pieces of ID from borrower, they also require copy of notary's driver's license and commission.

Keeping in mind that BancServ has all my credentials, including driver's license, and thinking maybe I was misunderstanding, I emailed EO (thinking probably wouldn't get reply 'til Monday morning). EO responded with docs which included TC's written instructions requiring copy of 2 IDs for borrower(s) and notary.

Okay, I have no problem complying with this requirement. It's just a first for me. Anyone else? This is a TC in Las Vegas, NV.

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.