Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #608241

3 replies
Just asking a question from this 20 + years signing agent
By ArtG/KS on 7/8/19 12:49pm

Today I picked up my phone and searched on one of my browsers and put in Notary Rotary. In that search a competitor popped up. Anyone know what is going on with that? I then went to my bookmark page to get here. Is there a glitch unintended or intended?

Msg #608227

7 replies
How diligent are you all in screening hiring parties?
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/7/19 1:46pm

Maybe it comes from my previous life as a skip tracer, asset manager (defaulted non-performing real estate loan portfolios), but a good many people in our industry could and do have a dark past that could forewarn me not to accept their offer for work. So a long time ago, I began googling people, their phone numbers and addresses. Soon I began receiving alerts to check out "mug shots" and "arrest logs" that go way back, simply because not all arrest records can be expunged.

Am I the only Inspector Clousseau on the Signing Agent Spaceship?

Msg #608223

10 replies
Whirlwind Bonus Friday
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/7/19 11:10am

These are the ramblings of a notary who had an exceptional day instead of the day from hell! I truly enjoy serving people, and especially our men and women in service, past and present. Such a great day!

I thought month end was over, but Friday put a nice little bow on my numbers for the holiday week. I started out with a VA refinance. These are always huge with lots of ancillary HUD forms. I just hunkered down and methodically moved through the pile of pages before me and the borrower signed and I notarized everything in about 45 minutes. This includes a cursory review of the entire package before departing. At the first VA signing, the borrower asked if I could notarize another document he had regarding his pension, and I said I would. When we finished, he asked how much he owed me, I said, it's on me. Nothing doing, he said, he peeled off a $$note and handed it to me saying that was my bonus for such a great job and taking him through the process so smoothly and painlessly. He didn't have to get in his car, drive to the UPS store and stand in line to get the document notarized. When he purchased the property last year, that notary took 3 hours to get through his loan documents and he was expecting the amount of time. He wasn't looking forward to it.

It got me to thinking, why would a notary/loan signing agent take that much time at the signing table to get to the end of the pile. BTW, these VA loan interest rates are coming in at 3.125 to 3.250 these days. I had a total of 3 VA loans in 3 days. Borrowers are so excited to be saving a bunch of money and will likely not ever refi again. The final VA signing in Cambria at a home overlooking Moonstone Beach (this was my second bonus of the day) was with a retired couple. They invited me to their friends' home where they were enjoying dinner and a gorgeous sunset. As I wrapped up and began to leave, they commented they had signed a lot of VA refi's over the years, but this was the most pleasant and easiest to get through. Again, I'm wondering why notaries are making this such a big deal. It simply is not that much work when you parse out the pieces of a VA package while reviewing the documents before you go to sign the borrower(s) at their homes.

At the last signing, the couple asked for my card. They are buying and flipping properties all over the country, and I will be their go-to notary. Some days in this business far outweigh a lot of signing days.

Between signings, I had three field inspections that took me between a pre-foreclosure capturing the status of occupancy and property condition, and two delinquent collateral payment notices, easy peasy, even while traveling to the middle of nowhere. Some days this work is so satisfying and other days, I say to myself, why am I doing this, working for some companies is so cumbersome with late docs, a zillion notary certificates, or signing on TV trays, low coffee table in dim light, and worse, on our knees. More and more I'm thinking of other places to sign instead of a sticky, oily kitchen table. Like, the library, a hotel lobby where I know there is a table to sit at, a Coffee Bean and Tealeaf where they have a meeting room you can reserve.

So I ask my fellow seasoned notary pals, how long do you spend signing VA loan packages in your neck of the woods, without rushing the clients?

Msg #608220

5 replies
Premier Title Defamation: Counter Argument
By SunnyD on 7/6/19 6:23pm

Hi Fellow Notaries,
Unfortunately in this day and age with social media, it is all too easy for a reputable professional to be defamed by an individual with no credibility. I cannot let my exemplary 20 yrs as a mobile notary closing agent to be tarnished in any way, especially if it is untruthful.
Here are the indisputable facts which will only serve to enhance the truth. On June 26th at 1:10pm I accepted this closing from Bob which was scheduled for 7/3. Since I had not worked with this title co. before, I looked them up on NR and found very unfavorable reviews. At 2:43 on 6/26 I cancelled this closing as evidenced below:
On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 2:43 PM sonya demicco <sonyademicco@gmail.com> wrote:
Cancel this closing and please find another notary. I have taken it off my books.
Sonya G. DeMicco

He acknowledged this with an email to me at 3:14pm
“ty”
I then researched a bit more and again sent Bob this email:
Date: Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 3:21 PM
To: Robert Atamian <bob@ptecompany.com>
I canceled this in my books. I do not want to work with you.
Sonya DeMicco
Premier Title claims that I canceled the closing the night before. They sent me the docs the night before and I again responded :
Sonya DeMicco <sonyademicco@gmail.com>
Tue, Jul 2, 6:23 PM (4 days ago)
to bob
This is intended for the notary closing this.
I am not doing this.
Sonya DeMicco
I simply thought he had sent them to me in error,
and reminded him I was not the notary closing this. I hope this horrific defamation of my good character has now been cleared up. Again, I want to thank all of you for your support. This is not meant to be a vindictive message, but I do believe with all of my best intentions that this company should not be able to do this to anyone else ever again.
If anyone would like further information, feel free to PM me.

Msg #608196

6 replies
another earth quake n/m
By Clem/CA on 7/5/19 10:37pm

Msg #608194

4 replies
As if we don't enough to worry about ....
By BearPaw/CO on 7/5/19 9:40pm

LD wrote in Peggy thread: <<I personally feel she needs an attorney and not feel sorry for the people not cleaning their house when guests come over. >>

I've never considered us "guests" anymore than the cable guy or the plumber are. We're there to do a job and get out. We're not the in-laws visiting for the week. BUT it reminds me of a situation similar to Peggy's disaster. Some time ago, I knew a notary who was injured through homeowner negligence. (piece of junk make-shift chair collapsed.) Homeowner tried to get out of paying, saying he did not "invite" the notary but was "told by the bank" that a notary would come to their house; so he thought the bank should be responsible. Think about that. It's easy enough for some LO sipping mai-tais under a palm tree in Miami, waiting for his big fat commission, to roll out the red carpet, telling borrowers that Little Miss Notary will be at their home at their convenience so they don't even have to lift a finger except to sign ... blah blah. Lenders, TCs, LOs, SSs have no regard for our safety out in the field and the landmines we face every day when going to people's homes (crap on floors, growling dogs, misbehaving homeowners, skateboards on the front porch, no outdoor lights, ice on the driveway). So since we are not "invited" but our appearance is presented to borrowers as part of an all-inclusive package deal, just how "liable/unliable" are homeowners and how "liable/unliable" are the parties who sent us? And how "liable/unliable" are we for our own safety?

Honestly, this is one of the reasons why during confo call, I always ask: Do you want me to come to your home or meet somewhere else (with a suggestion of nearby coffee place etc).?

So maybe we *are* "guests" and like good guests shouldn't go unless "invited." Scary thought. In any case, Peggy definitely needs to go after the homeowner's insurance to cover her medical expenses and any lost notary fees. And I hope she feels better ASAP!

Msg #608192

4 replies
Blue Ink Signings In Mesa Az
By Theresa AuthenticDocs on 7/5/19 8:57pm

Good Bad ugly..run?

Msg #608191

3 replies
Right to cancel
By Clem/CA on 7/5/19 7:35pm

As you can most likley read, here are the rules Most Instructions say to change the dates and have them initialed, but if you read the form that is not what is real...if you sign and date the form and it is the last event then the time starts there... I think Bank Of America is the only one I have seen that says DON'T change the dates... It's english and is very clear. SS's, Title Cos., and even some lenders are just making it a bit more difficult than they need to....

YOUR RIGHT TO CANCEL:
You are entering into a transaction that will result in a mortgage, lien, or security interest on/in your home. You have a legal
right under federal law to cancel this transaction, without cost, within THREE BUSINESS DAYS..>>>>>>>>> from whichever of the following
events occurs last:<<<<<<<<<
1. the date of the transaction, which is ; or
2. the date you receive your Truth in Lending disclosures; or
>>>>>>>>>3. the date you receive this notice of your right to cancel.<<<<<<<<<

Msg #608181

0 replies
Always need to be diligent with system protection
By  Linda_TN on 7/5/19 2:45pm

Yes, I realize this doesn't or may not directly affect notaries--it's geared more towards title and settlement companies and other members of ALTA. But the point I hope everyone takes away is that don't let your guard down. EVER. Keep your various means of protection against the baddies and nasties up-to-date and if something doesn't feel right or seem right, check it out. Report it to the appropriate sources. Even something that may seem as random as those email scams. Report them here. Make others aware so they know what to look out for.

https://www.thetitlereport.com/Articles/ALTA-warns-title-companies-of-industry-breach-76585.aspx

Msg #608148

17 replies
Right to Cancel (effectively) postdated
By Kellosh/CA on 7/4/19 8:29pm

Late afternoon Wednesday I accepted a same-day, late evening singing. Received and printed docs just in time to make another signing in between. I did do a quick cursory look of the docs but (regrettably in hindsight) didn't look at key specifics, one of which was dates preprinted on the Right to Cancel (sometimes this is called the Right to Recission) form. At the table, I learned that the signers were resigning because of their names had been misspelled in the first attempt to close and that caused a redraw of all docs. All well and good, until right at the end of the packet when we reached the RTC, and the dates preprinted by title were still for the original signing: i.e. there effective date of cancel would have been the same day they were signing with me, effectively giving them a period of three hours. At the late hour and the night before the holiday, I of course couldn't call title. Normally I'm advised (and all my NNA-training has told me) that the date on the RTC if present must always be the date you are sitting at the table with the signers. Title included specific instructions, however, that no edits were allowed to any documents, including and specifically noting the RTC form. I ended up explaning my quandry to the signers and telling them why I was uncomfortable with asking them to sign the document dated as expiring the same day, and left the decision to to them, noting that it was possible title might reject the document if we made alterations and that could possibly cause the whole process to be effected. Even after explaining that, they asked that the dates be changed per industry standards to be effective the date of signing. Because today's a holiday, I didn't send these yet. I could potentially call title in the morning and ask, and I'd be willing to go see the signers again to resign the form if they can assure me this is something allowable. Wondering if anyone has any insight or has experienced this. (Note: title wasn't asking me to postdate the correct date included with signatures; this isn't a case of that which I would (and have) outright reject.)

Msg #608129

5 replies
Thinkiing of Marian Harmon..6.4 earthquake hit Mojave
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/4/19 1:34pm

I felt it all the way here on the Coast. I wondered if it was the big one an what to grab onto first. It did stop rolliing after about 25 seconds. Lazing about. Sure glad I didn't have to do the fast shuffle.

Preparedness plan...I better refresh.

Msg #608125

39 replies
What Would You Do If You Were Injured In A Borrower's Home?
By  PegiT_MN on 7/4/19 12:14pm

I had a closing yesterday and after having to maneuver through all the kid toys on the floor in the living room and steer clear of the growling little dog, I totally missed seeing the wine cork laying there on the hardwood floor and managed to step right on it and go sailing across the room landing face first into the dining room table which then started sliding across the hardwood floor as I continued to fall and I eventually came crashing down to the floor in a twisted heap. Pain everywhere, loan documents all over the floor, my handbag spilled out on the floor. The young homeowners are mortified, the children don't know quite what to make of what just happened, and the sweet little baby . . . well he was just about as sweet as they come.

Mrs. Borrower rubbed my back, asked me where it hurt, was concerned about my arm, and even more concerned if I had broken my leg because it was twisted in such a peculiar fashion. She asked if she needed to call 911 and I was able to tell her no. I was finally able to pick myself up off the floor, I was shaking, and I was in a huge amount of pain but the show must go on. The young homeowners offered me water and an ice pack and somehow we got through 25 minutes of pure torture and got the loan closed.

I managed to get two more closings done and came home and went to bed. I woke up at 2:30 a.m. in excruciating pain in my left arm and I am unable to lift my arm. I don't want to make a big deal out of this . . . but it kind of is a big deal. My cousin who is a nurse talked to me over the telephone, and my EMT neighbor came over this morning and checked me over. Based on the symptoms that I am showing, my EMT neighbor said that I have more than likely dislocated my shoulder.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else and now what? Thank you. I'm going back to my ice and advil and will try to get in somewhere tomorrow to get checked out.

Msg #608123

0 replies
Happy 4th of July to all! Let freedom ring! n/m
By  MW/VA on 7/4/19 10:35am

Msg #608105

11 replies
Car Dealership Signings-SF Bay Area
By Carlisha Leake-Walker on 7/3/19 6:23pm

I was contacted by an auto dealership owner to do a quick signing with 1 signature for $100, paid same day. I was kind of blown away but then I immediately decided to go for more dealerships. My question is if anyone is doing signings at dealerships regularly and is $100 in the range of what's normal. I read a post a few years back that someone in another state was getting $125-150 a pop. I don't want to be greedy but I certainly don't want to undercut myself either.

Msg #608098

6 replies
I Received My First Remote Online Notarization (RON) Request
By  PegiT_MN on 7/3/19 5:35pm

I received a telephone call yesterday from a local attorney looking for a notary to perform a remote online notarization (RON). I informed him that I am an e-Notary and have the capability and authorization to perform electronic notarizations, but I am not RON approved and probably won't be anytime soon as that type of notarization is not common in the mortgage industry which is where most of my business comes from.

As it turns out, his client is in Italy and they needed a notarization immediately. The US Consulate takes months to get an appointment with to have anything notarized and he was desperate to have it done using Remote Online Notarization.

I believe there are companies set up out in Virginia if I recall, but I am not interested in any of this RON stuff and I certainly hope it doesn't take off.

Just wanted to let my fellow notaries know that I did receive my first request, and it was for a general notarization for someone who is located out of the country.

Has anyone else received any requests yet?

Msg #608085

27 replies
Message Deleted
By User from 38.140.116.78 on 7/3/19 9:47am

This message has been deleted by a forum moderator.

Reason: Generally Inappropriate

Msg #608082

6 replies
NJ/CT/SC - is this an option for you for CLEs/CEUs?
By  Linda_TN on 7/3/19 6:30am

Seen this morning from Google alert

"The CCP course is a 17-week program, all offered online and consists of courses taught by an array of mortgage industry and former government insiders for the benefit of attorneys, title agents, escrow officers, notaries and real estate agents."

https://nationalmortgageprofessional.com/news/71578/closing-agent-certification-course-eligible-continuing-legal-education-credits-three

Msg #608081

1 replies
Scanner Audit
By Comet53/CA on 7/3/19 12:21am

Has anyone done Scanner Audit? How does it work? Thank you

Msg #608076

1 replies
Real Signing Solutions...Any recent experience?
By FeliseSoCal on 7/2/19 5:13pm

Chris Gage/President

Not much info on this company...

Msg #608063

6 replies
NEW LAW IN TN eff. 7/1/19 - handsfree driving
By  Linda_TN on 7/2/19 8:18am

Effective yesterday, July 1, 2019, state’s new “Hands Free Law,” known as Public Chapter No. 412, which takes effect on July 1, 2019. This new law requires drivers to put down their phones and focus on the road. They have been putting this out all over social media, and have even created a website exclusively on the subject. WWW. handsfreetn.com The website lists a link for the full bill, as well as other FAQ. Per the website www.handsfreetn.com,

PC0412 makes it illegal for a driver to:
(a) hold a cellphone or mobile device with any part of their body,
(b) write, send, or read any text-based communication,
(c) reach for a cellphone or mobile device in a manner that requires the driver to no longer be in a seated driving position or properly restrained by a seat belt,
(d) watch a video or movie on a cellphone or mobile device, and
(e) record or broadcast video on a cellphone or mobile device.

Penalties?
Violation of this law is a Class C misdemeanor. A traffic citation based on this violation is considered a moving traffic violation. Fines for violations of the law include:
$50 = First-time offense
$100 = Third-time offense or higher; violation results in a car crash
$200 = Violation occurs in a work zone while workers are present; violation occurs in a marked school zone while flashers are in operation

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.