Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #608372

1 replies
WE Rock
By Clem/CA on 7/13/19 9:45am

SANTA BARBARA RANKED 3RD WORST CITY FOR FIRST-TIME HOME BUYERS

That means less explaining at closings

Msg #608371

1 replies
It's hitting our local news that an investigation is
By  MW/VA on 7/13/19 8:58am

underway about the VA making a lot of money on VA loans & where that money is going. I've always wondered about those large "VA funding fees" & where that money went. I guess we'll be hearing more about that.

Msg #608366

2 replies
Rant about VT notary "clarification" bill
By  VT_Syrup on 7/13/19 6:19am

Act 30 of the 2019 Vermont General Assembly is supposed to clarify Vermont's version of the Revised Uniform Law on Notarial Acts, which was passed in the 2018 legislature. But it just creates confusion in what was, except for allowing remote online notarization, a pretty good bill. The bill is 97 pages long, but only about 5 pages are about notaries, the rest is about other professions.

Page says that town clerks who do not have a notary commission may administer oaths in his or her county, but not take acknowledgements. But the notary law is unaltered; it continues to say no one may perform notarial acts in VT other than VT notaries. So if a town clerk administers an oath, does the town clerk have to follow the other provisions of the notary law, like check the signer's ID if the oath is also a verification? Does the town clerk have to write out a jurat (certificate)? If so, what certificate should the clerk use; all the ones mentioned in the notary law mention notary public, and the clerk isn't one.

Page 93 tells us that the commission granted to certain notaries (judges and other employees of the judiciary branch) "shall not be considered a license." Well, at least this change doesn't seem to create any outright contradictions, but it's going to be quite the challenge for most notaries to understand what this is all about. Most notaries will get a commission AND a license. The commission makes them a state officer, and empowers them to perform notarial acts. The license puts them under the control of the Office of Professional Regulation, which could refuse, for good case, a notary application, or discipline a notary. But the Vermont constitution does not allow the executive branch (Office of Professional Regulation) to supervise the judicial branch, so people in the judicial branch won't have a license.

Then there is the provision

"(ii) A notarial act that identifies the notary public as a person who is exempt under this subdivision (B) [law enforcement officers] shall establish as a matter of law that the person is commissioned as a notary public for the purpose of acting within the scope of official duties under this subsection."

So the first problem is that it confuses the notarial act, which is the notary witnessing whatever needs to be witnessed, with the certificate the notary writes out which records for posterity that the notarial act happened. Also, there is no place in the short form certificates in the 1998 bill for the law enforcement officer to write that he or she is a law enforcement officer, so we're putting all those constables who only took the position because nobody else wanted it in the position of inventing their own notarial certificates. Oh yeah, that sure sounds like a clarification to me.

Msg #608355

18 replies
Need Quick Response on this one, Please.- CA Notaries
By Sue on 7/12/19 1:51pm

I have a company saying I missed a notarization of a RIDER (Closing Cost Rider) for a California property. Signing was on the 10th and they are emailing me today to "correct" it. AND they say the lender is requiring 2 acknowledgements for this same document. California notaries, I need you!

Msg #608344

7 replies
Notaries Who advertise
By pdl/cali on 7/11/19 11:53pm

This is my full time job, I've been around for about 15 years. I have built a base of wonderful returning clients. I advertise on sites as well as yelp. Loan signing is my forte, I also handle GNW . We all know how nice it is for a GNW call. My area is saturated with notaries and newbies. I received an email from yelp , stating I received a 1 star/ bad review. I cannot believe that someone I have never worked with and flat out lied about me has the balls to review me. Has anyone ever received a bad review from yelp? I have a feeling this is a competitor in my area I would never post a fake review. I believe in karma, and it will definitely fall back on that person. Also, the review didn't make sense.

Msg #608330

5 replies
Notaries Beware
By IAC on 7/11/19 1:47pm

Wanted to make notaries aware of a phone scam I came across yesterday. Received a call from a company out of Fl. caught me off guard so I not sure if she gave me a name. Said they were doing a publication and choose me since I have been a practicing notary for a great number of years. She had my name and proceeded to ask me her first question, so how long have I been a notary? At that point, I proceeded to tell her, I do not answer any questions over the phone, email me her info. She stated my email and I must say I just hung up did not say good-bye. Needless to say never got a email. HMM.

Msg #608320

14 replies
Delicate line of UPL
By ChattNotary on 7/11/19 10:36am

I do a lot of hospital signings. Almost every initial phone call starts out asking me to "Draw up" a "Powerful" Attorney. Right there I know what I'm dealing with. I always tell the caller that I am only a notary public and that they need to seek the advice of an attorney. This usually turns in to the caller begging for help as these hospital issues are usually last minute right before a major surgery or mamma "headin' off to glory."

How do all of you deal with this? Is it too far over the gray line to tell the potential client something along the lines of "I am not giving you legal advice and I am not an attorney, but the majority of the POA forms I notarize are downloaded from the internet."

That is a statement of fact and isn't instructing them to do so, just simply stating that downloading the documents is something a lot of people do. It's a semantics game, I know.

Msg #608318

5 replies
need help with page separator
By  canotaryhere on 7/11/19 9:42am

I downloaded docs sent to me scanned sideways and then rotated them and sent them to page separator but they still all printed out sideways

Msg #608309

6 replies
the case of the extra "h"
By notarydi/CA on 7/10/19 11:37pm

So, I signed Jon Smith tonight. When he signs, his signature is a very clear and distinct cursive John Smith. I commented, "It looks like you are signing your first name with an "h" in it. Your documents read Jon Smith. Are your documents spelled correctly?" " Yes, yes, that's just how I sign my first name with an "h" in it." Driver's License reads Jon Smith. I told myself, well, at least he's oversigned.

This should be interesting or maybe not....maybe no one will catch it or care.

Get the popcorn, Clem.

Msg #608300

4 replies
Notarize
By jnew on 7/10/19 5:12pm

I received an offer today for a refi. The price was $55.00 Attached to the order was a note that this was for the wet signed documents on a Notarize order in which the majority of the documents are being signed online Isn't Notarize the company involved with online notarizations? I turned it down due to the location being out of my service area. No one has taken it since it was sent out two hours ago.

Msg #608299

7 replies
Notary Cloud is just AWFUL
By hodgy on 7/10/19 4:13pm

You cannot speak to them on phone and they rarely answer emails. I did call Village Capital the other day and spoke to someone. 82 days now waiting for payment. Never again. You should AVOID AT ALL COSTS. I can't wait until an actual person from Notary Cloud calls me again.

Msg #608291

4 replies
Barrister Ohio
By Notarized4 on 7/10/19 9:48am

They take forever to pay, its been about 6 weeks and I still have not received the funds owed to me for the signing I completed. Needless to say, I would not work with them again if asked.

Msg #608279

9 replies
N3Notary I-9 signature
By Jayhawk/KS on 7/9/19 9:56pm

If you want to work for this company don't expect them to pay you, answer their phone, email, or anything else. Their whole process from the gitgo is a joke. You call the borrower, oh, but quess what they give you a phone number, that was a landline that has been disconnected for over a year. They don't provide you a new number, I finally called a friend who lives in the same town, she gave me her parent's names, I found their facebook acct, and found the client's facebook from there and left her a message to call me. You have to meet in from a public place, call into their phone number, which is only used for them to walk you through how to do their website. Then you have to update and fax copies of ID's , can't email cause that isn't secure. Then after updating on their site, that doesn't work, and you leave phone messages, emails etc they still don't call. I emailed 3 times, scanned 3 times and left messages 3 times.

Now I got a email saying they weren't paying because obviously they don't know how to pick something up off their fax machine that I scanned last night, again this morning, and now again.

I won't touch these people with a 40' pole .

Msg #608274

0 replies
Re: Message #607428 Nevaehs Escrow
By Gavina Franklin on 7/9/19 7:55pm

I got paid yesterday full fee

Msg #608271

9 replies
First ZigSig assignment
By Luckydog on 7/9/19 5:01pm

I am looking forward to finally trying them out Thursday. They offered an above average fee, so see how it goes. Fingers crossed! Does anyone else have an experieince with this platform? The client is a title company, so feel a save venture.

Msg #608266

4 replies
Purchase
By  Mike Goodey on 7/9/19 1:56pm

I received a text the other day to perform a purchase signing in my town...136 pages...$75.00 REALLY?? I responded that I would do it for $150...obviously they didn't call me so someone else took it. REALLY???

Msg #608260

7 replies
Mobile-ing smarter tips and tricks?
By Kellosh/CA on 7/9/19 12:57am

Now that I'm a full-time NSA after a decade as a part-timer, I'm looking for ways to be more effective and efficient. I recently got a locking briefcase that stays in my car with office supplies and blank certificates, and a mobile scanner so I can scan docs in between signings without having to drive back to my home office. But I'm currently daydreaming about getting a different car (I currently have a midsized SUV) that I can set up an actual mobile office in the back of, i.e. a small commercial van or minivan. My other side hustle is as a writer, so sometimes when I have too little time to make sense going back home and I have an hour or so in between appointments, I'll write. I can do this with a desk, or even go to a coffee shop (where I would spend money and gain calories, something else I'm trying to limit), I have this vision of just going into my mobile office space and getting stuff done. Would also be great to have a desk space when organizing/scanning documents.

Anyone made modifications to their vehicles or have any tools or tricks you find useful when working out of your car?

Msg #608249

3 replies
ARCO American Consumer Rights Org/Tristar/Notary Dept3.
By James Lukas on 7/8/19 4:08pm

I received a call today from Notary Dept representing American Consumer Rights Organization/TriStar. Wanted me to do a debt mod for a 78 year old woman. She was to pay 2 installments of $4800 from one of her credit cards to payoff $15,000 in 3 credit cards. I refused the assignment. It smelled fishy. The people who called me had accents like those bogus calls you get to fix your windows computer.
I am grateful for Notary Rotary for previous posts on this company and to Google for info on previous complaints.

Msg #608242

6 replies
S/S comment from bank LO
By Signerbill on 7/8/19 1:04pm

A.M. signing at bank where the client was a little late. Talking to the LO who said that they [most of her dist. br], were starting to take their signings in-house. Where they shied away from having a Notary on staff before, they were re-thinking it. Had to ask.... She said that the number of issues and lack of professionalism they were getting thru the S/S was leading to more complaints. She related a list of Notaries just thru her branch,,, NO understanding of the documents, dressed like they slept in their clothes, language barrier, brought their kids (little) with them to sit and color in the lobby,,, etc., etc. I did mention that you can request a Signing Agent from your S/S if you like someone... said they tried that but it's like a 1 in 10 chance to happen.
SO... if you start to see your Branch signings drop off, this could be the reason.
Best part was the client shows up and we both laughed... I signed him on Friday for another property, at his home, wondered why he needed to come to the bank for this one...

Msg #608241

3 replies
Just asking a question from this 20 + years signing agent
By ArtG/KS on 7/8/19 12:49pm

Today I picked up my phone and searched on one of my browsers and put in Notary Rotary. In that search a competitor popped up. Anyone know what is going on with that? I then went to my bookmark page to get here. Is there a glitch unintended or intended?

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.