Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Electronic closings - a nightmare scenario
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 3/30/15 2:06pm Msg #527832
Nightmare is right! Yikes!!! Not sure what - if anything - can be done to stop someone with that level of sophistication who is intent on stealing someone's property. And as using technology in sophisticated ways is becoming more and more common, this is a problem I foresee only getting worse. How do you stop someone from copying a notary stamp? Maybe that's a reason for using electronic certificates, but then what's to stop someone from hacking those?

Here's one more quote that got my attention:

"there isn't much buyers can do to protect themselves from such crimes, aside from buying title insurance that would cover them if a prior claim to the property is discovered."

That's somewhat changed my attitude about owner's title insurance - although most packages I see these days have seller paid title insurance for the new owner. (For any newbies out there, the title insurance a buyer has to pay for covers the lender, not the buyer.)
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Electronic closings - a nightmare scenario -  Linda_H/FL on 3/30/15 1:09pm
 Should clarify - a POTENTIAL nightmare scenario n/m -  Linda_H/FL on 3/30/15 1:18pm
 Re: Electronic closings - a nightmare scenario -  JanetK_CA on 3/30/15 2:06pm
 I can see a happy ending for the real owner -  ikando on 3/30/15 5:04pm
 Wow. That n/m -  MW/VA on 3/30/15 8:22pm
 Ooops--let's start again. That's an interesting article -  MW/VA on 3/30/15 8:25pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.