Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Electronic "Quality control" (well, there
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 8/23/17 1:56am Msg #581654
Great discussion by you and VT. Thanks for your responses.

Living in an area with a fair amount of high tech companies, I've run into a few people in my notary travels who have stated that their offices operate completely (or almost) paperless anymore. Some people (and not just young whippersnappers Wink) have told me that they've forgotten how to write with a pen, since everything they do is on a computer keyboard or touchscreen. So, yes, it IS finally happening in some places.

When documents are always dealt with in electronic form (including the creation, modification and storage), if a notarization is needed, they're likely to want that done electronically, too. It's been legal and happening in CA for a few years now. However, the state still requires CA notaries to use non-remote personal appearance. I'm not aware of any rulings about notaries in other states notarizing remotely for signers located here, but I suspect it's just a matter of time before one of those remotely notarized documents ends up involved in a court case of some kind somewhere.

So yes, e-notarization and remote notarization are definitely two different things.

BTW, one of the things that bothers me in lots of these PR pieces we're seeing pop up all over the place is that they seem to be trying to change the understanding of the words "personal appearance" - and I don't think it's accidental. I'm hoping that legislators will get involved to define what that means more specifically. It would be great for us if that would exclude remote notarization, but I'm not holding my breath...
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Electronic notary seals -  VT_Syrup on 8/21/17 9:23am
 You seriously promoting your blog here? Wow. n/m -  Cari on 8/21/17 9:33am
 Re: You seriously promoting your blog here? Wow. -  VT_Syrup on 8/21/17 9:45am
 I think he's trying to be helpful. -  JanetK_CA on 8/21/17 2:15pm
 JMO...don't think it warrants free NotRot advertising... n/m -  Cari on 8/21/17 2:31pm
 Re: Electronic notary seals (used on EDOCS - PDFs, etc.) - NVLSlady/VA on 8/21/17 3:31pm
 Re: Electronic notary seals (used on EDOCS - PDFs, etc.) -  VT_Syrup on 8/21/17 4:08pm
 Re: VA Electronic notary seals - NVLSlady/VA on 8/21/17 5:03pm
 Re: Electronic notary seals (used on EDOCS - PDFs, etc.) -  JanetK_CA on 8/21/17 11:20pm
 Re: Electronic notary = "blurry lines" and UFOs - NVLSlady/VA on 8/22/17 5:30am
 Re: Electronic notary = "blurry lines" and UFOs - NVLSlady/VA on 8/22/17 5:46am
 Re: Electronic notary = "blurry lines" and UFOs -  VT_Syrup on 8/22/17 6:42am
 Re: Electronic "Quality control" (well, there's That!) - NVLSlady/VA on 8/22/17 7:30am
 Re: Electronic "Quality control" (well, there -  JanetK_CA on 8/23/17 1:56am
 Re: Electronic "Quality control" (well, there -  VT_Syrup on 8/23/17 5:11am
 PAPER remote doc (via FedEx). Interesting. n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 8/23/17 12:26pm
 Re: Electronic "Quality control" (well, there - NVLSlady/VA on 8/23/17 12:29pm
 After reading VAs "ID requirements"... - Lee/AR on 8/22/17 10:59am
 About a yr or 2 ago, someone tested an enotarization. - NVLSlady/VA on 8/21/17 6:34pm
 Found it. My namesake in AL (Msg #545531) n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 8/21/17 6:51pm
 Re: Electronic notary seals - Luckydog on 8/21/17 7:03pm
 Re: Electronic notary seals -  VT_Syrup on 8/21/17 7:25pm
 Re: Electronic notary seals - NVLSlady/VA on 8/21/17 9:05pm
 Again, not to be confused with eSIGNINGS. n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 8/21/17 9:07pm
 Re: Again, not to be confused with eSIGNINGS. - Luckydog on 8/22/17 11:23am
 Re: Again, not to be confused with eSIGNINGS. - NVLSlady/VA on 8/22/17 11:58am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.