Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: CA Supreme Court Takes on "Independent Contractor"
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 2/10/18 3:34pm Msg #589711
Right. I think that latter situation is probably what they're most concerned about. A couple of decades ago, I had a job with a major corporation where the person who worked in the next cube over was an independent contractor. I was working for the VP of HR, so I got to see the invoices from the agency that hired her. She was there, same job, same boss, under his direct supervision, for more than a year, doing work similar to what I did, yet she was making considerably less than me, without any benefits. [The agency she worked for got paid roughly what I did...]

I asked her about it once, but she said she was OK with things as they were and didn't want to rock the boat, so she never tried to do anything about it. I believe her situation was one of those that just fell under the radar and that if she had spoken up, there's a good chance she could have been added to the payroll. (And benefits there were generous.) To me, this reminds me a great deal of many people who come into our field. They're willing to take whatever is offered to them and are too afraid of what they might lose to speak up for themselves and go after what they deserve.

On the IC issue, though, we've probably all heard about companies where their primary business model is to hire lots of people as ICs because it saves them tons on overall labor costs. Makes sense to me to reign that in, but for us, it would be nice if it gets some companies to ease off the babysitting! Wink
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 CA Supreme Court Takes on "Independent Contractor" - rengel/CA on 2/9/18 12:33pm
 Oh Boy... n/m - Linda_H/FL on 2/9/18 12:34pm
 Oh boy is right! - Alz on 2/9/18 12:51pm
 Re: Oh boy is right! -  VT_Syrup on 2/9/18 1:52pm
 Re: Oh boy is right! - Alz on 2/9/18 2:41pm
 Re: Oh boy is right! - SteveS/CA on 2/9/18 2:58pm
 IMO this all stems from the lawsuits involving Uber, etc. -  MW/VA on 2/9/18 7:19pm
 Re: CA Supreme Court Takes on "Independent Contractor" - Bear900/CA on 2/10/18 1:05am
 Re: CA Supreme Court Takes on "Independent Contractor" -  JanetK_CA on 2/10/18 3:34pm
 Re: CA Supreme Court Takes on "Independent Contractor" - SteveS/CA on 2/11/18 2:01pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.