Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Real heroes with regular lives
Posted by  Mike Goodey of CA on 2/21/24 3:05pm Msg #36874
My older son, MJ, went to visit his younger brother, Justin, at West Covina Fire just to talk and possibly get some advice since he is having marital problems. Apparently one of Justin's "brothers" is going through a divorce so MJ was able to get advice from him also. MJ spent all day at the station and went on several calls with the guys at the station. He had 3 meals with the crew. You would think one of them would say "Don't I hear your mama calling?" But he told us the guys were super nice.
MJ gave details about the calls they went on as he was able to sit on the engine as his brother drove it. He was quite impressed how Justin handled the rig. One call was a structure fire but ended up being an older gentleman throwing newspapers into his chimney and lighting them...just a lot of smoke. Another was a lady was dizzy and I believe they ended up taking her to the hospital. A third one was a slip and fall but when they arrived the elderly man had already passed. MJ was surprised that they worked on him for about 20 minutes trying to revive him, but to no avail.

Reminds me of a story a fire captain friend told us about an accident that happened at Puddingstone Reservoir years ago. A 14 year old girl wanted to drive their Sea-do and begged her 12 year old brother to ride with her.
Well apparently she was going too fast and not in control and crashed into another craft and fatally injured her brother. The sister and family were in shock when the captain and his squad arrived so the captain told his team to work on the boy as they transported him to the hospital. Captain knew he was dead but for the sake of the family and especially the sister, kept trying whatever they could.
Just to show that these heroes don't quit. My wife and I went on a ride along during Covid and it was an experience to remember.

Also reminds me of the first time when Justin was just a fire reserve for San Dimas Fire and went on a ride along at West Covina Fire. They got a call about a man who had a heart attack in his bathroom. When they got there the paramedic turned to the captain and told him to call it as deceased man. Now my son had never dealt with a death except for at a funeral home for a relative, but he had to help carry the man, who was quite overweight, out of the bathroom, which was very small and they had to move every which way to properly get him out.
Justin said it bothered him for awhile but he got over it within the next few days. Dealing with dead little ones still stings him because he has two littles ones of his own. These guys are so professional and have to handle difficult situations.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Real heroes with regular lives -  Mike Goodey on 2/21/24 3:05pm
 Re: Real heroes with regular lives -  Cheryl Elliott on 2/22/24 3:06pm
 Re: Real heroes with regular lives -  Mike Goodey on 2/22/24 5:19pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.