Notary Rotary
Attention California Notaries
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by ILsigning on 6/17/11 9:27pm
Msg #386733

Had heard that the state of Calfifornia no longer needs notaries to close loans. Is this the case?

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/17/11 9:30pm
Msg #386734

It's true in all states, not just California n/m

Reply by ILsigning on 6/17/11 9:32pm
Msg #386735

Re: It's true in all states, not just California

I wasn't trying to make a joke. Even though it feels that way right now in my state. n/m

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/17/11 9:41pm
Msg #386738

Not joking... No states need more notaries or signing agents n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/17/11 9:52pm
Msg #386739

Actually notaries do not close loans! They are used basically as couriers to take docs to borrowers, get them signed, notarize where needed and return docs to title.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/17/11 11:53pm
Msg #386753

Thanks Sylvia - you said it perfectly!

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 6/17/11 11:16pm
Msg #386748

If you are talking about real estate loans, never heard of

one not requiring a morgage/trust deed, and believe that every state requires a Mtg/TD to be
notarized in order to be recordable.
Kind of need a NP somewhere in the process.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/17/11 11:57pm
Msg #386754

<<<Had heard that the state of Calfifornia no longer needs notaries to close loans. Is this the case? >>>

Real Estate law says signatures on deeds must be notarized to be recorded. They are valid with just the signature but will not be recorded by the county clerk without notarization. That's not a notary law but a Real Estate law.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/18/11 12:04am
Msg #386755

As far as I know, there are recordable docs that require

Notarization, like Deeds and Liens to name a few.

Remote "closers" aren't really "closing" anything - all we do as professionals is print docs, direct signings, Notarize where required in accordance with state law, and return "closing" docs as directed=pre-paid.

Just today, a new neighbor on the spectacular Central Oregon Coast was ecstatic about the in-home service I delivered; the quick sale of his home in WA; and the little jewel he found here that closed snip-snap. He was waiting for me at the top of his driveway, waived me up, so my smartie was *this* close to the most b!tchen 'Vette, all T-Topped, spotless, and sublime. He just couldn't be happier with the decisions he's made lately.

He literally had wads of cash, and some he discovered in his other shirt pocket he hadn't even counted yet. He won bigtime on the Video Poker machine lately, and because he quit drinking eight months ago, he brought home all the winnin's - neatly sorted, like cards in a hand, and folded over once. (I flashed back to '78, when I fell in love with my late husband (or 'Ol'Man, as we used to say.) JT was strictly cash and carry - and just when I needed to, I learned so much about how to get to that point, and how to benefit from credit, not be a slave to it.) So, I chided the Seller that I should drop a line to his kids that a great Father's Day Present would be a cool money-clip. That's when he lit up and got even happier.

Getting a voided check, the old man cackled - "Ha!" he says. "Darned kids all tol' me I was crazy for buying that Corvette. And I'm gonna build a collapsable ramp so she doesn't scrape the (lower hanging thingie.) Now, they all clammor 'I want the 'Vette!'" I nodded in parental understanding. He went on, genturing, and animated; "I told 'em - "HA! None o'yuz! I'm GIVIN' it ~away~ to a *stranger*! To somebody who will APPRECIATE it! Heeh heh hoho - Yessiree Ma'am." I winked, and told him it was the prettiest darned Corvette I ever saw, but I'm a smartie-girl, and partial to the old red/white '57. (He was in his late 80s.)

So, in those 25 minutes, we were finished, and oohed and ahhed over our rides (he said he thought he "might just buy ~another~one...heehooo") on the walk-out; I dropped docs at UPS right off the highway on the way home; and made a C-note.

Retiring from this Biz isn't like retiring from the stage, or screen, or telly. The more cues one picks up on and relates to, regardless of the situation, the faster the ice is broken, the transaction progresses smoothly, and all hopefully ends well. It's definitely a People-Person-Profession.

I suspect that's true of every profession, really.

Anyway, back to the subject - we don't actually "close" any loans.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/18/11 8:56am
Msg #386774

Where did you hear it? n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/18/11 5:37pm
Msg #386837

I think we're dealing with a matter of semantics - and perhaps a great example of how easy it is to be misunderstood if we aren't clear with our written communications. Your sentence allows for lots of different interpretations, as proved by the variety of responses.

Did anyone guess right and did you get the info you wanted? Please let us now if we all missed the mark...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.