Notary Rotary
Elder abuse prevention
Notary Discussion History

Elder abuse prevention
Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by Shoshana/AZ on 6/5/11 11:59am
Msg #385207

Elder abuse prevention

We all know that an important part of our duties as notaries public is to prevent elder abuse.
The article below is really important to our personal lives as well. I just sent this link to my kids because they need to know about this!

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/06/03/elder-abuse-how-to-protect-grandmas-money-and-her-dignity/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk1%7C215145

Reply by HisHughness on 6/5/11 1:13pm
Msg #385208

I'm a notary public.

I'm also 74 years old.

And I'm doing my part to prevent elder abuse every time some young whippersnapper waitperson tries to give me lip over the 89-cent tip I left.

Yessiree, Bob.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/5/11 1:45pm
Msg #385212

No seconds on tapioca for you, mister... n/m

Reply by Lavergne Manuel on 6/5/11 1:45pm
Msg #385213

I'm almost 78 and the older you get, the less lip you take from anyone.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/5/11 1:53pm
Msg #385216

The Olde Phartz Chapter of NotRot is now in session n/m

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 6/5/11 3:49pm
Msg #385227

I had a good friend who perpetrated this on her own mom in

NY. I think she may have developed bi-polar disorder (is that possible). She went from a caring only child, to beating her 70+ mother, trying to scald her in the shower & placing a butcher knife cvrd w/ ketchup under her mattress. She also cursed her out daily, threatening to do physical harm to her. She even threw her mom's FOOD out (unless it was something she liked)! When mom saw doc, he was concerned b/c her blood pressure was sky-high! I only know this b/c I was close to her mom, who would call me when her 40+ daughter wasn't home. Besides stealing form her bank a/c, she spent 3 mths in the psyche ward on Rikers Isle. Unfortunatel, the daughter (my friend) found out her mom was calling me & ordered her to tell me to stop communicating w/ her. Prior to this, I had called the Queens PD, who were on it like rice. I had to respect mom's decision, who keeps letting her back in against court orders. My friend used to be a camerwoman who worked on Letterman, All My Children, Current Affair & 106 & Park, to name a few. One day she just stopped working & became homeless (when not living w/ mom). Physical, emotional, psychological & financial - a textbook of the whole gamut. I've done all I can - it's soooo sad.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 6/5/11 5:23pm
Msg #385239

Re: I had a good friend who perpetrated this on her own mom in

Sounds like they both need help. I hear that Rykers Island is a tough place. In my day they sent people to the Psych ward at Coney Island Hospital in Brooklyn.

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 6/5/11 5:38pm
Msg #385240

It's really heard on her mom 'cause that's her only child.

That's why she keeps letting her back in - the courts can only do so much. Mom divorced husband & had cut off all contact w/ fanily in NO, LA when they warned her not to marry him in the 60's. Of course he drank, beat her & cheated on her & she was too ashamed to go back. My friend was a great daughter 'til her sudden change. Then she picked up where dad left off , berating her as mother & wife, saying that's why dad left & she got what she deserved. Does bi-polar develop or is it there all along until something sets it off? Mom & friend were always a little paranoid, but I chalked it up to being female alone in NYC.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/5/11 6:36pm
Msg #385241

Don't know how it develops, but she is one sick lady.

That's just so sad - and makes my blood boil.

Reply by pat/WA on 6/5/11 7:11pm
Msg #385242

Over 70

How many of you are ove 70 years old? I thought I was all alone.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/5/11 7:16pm
Msg #385243

Basically, I've been over 70 since I was 35 n/m

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 6/5/11 7:58pm
Msg #385248

Ditto. n/m

Reply by pat/WA on 6/5/11 8:13pm
Msg #385252

over 70

Really?

Reply by CF on 6/7/11 7:39am
Msg #385345

Really- is this new information? Duh- is about all I can say

If this is going on to an elderly person chances are that their family does not give a crap about them. Lets be honest here.....if a family is doing right by their loved one then this will not be an issue!!! If the family is involved and something goes wrong then by all means they will handle it. It is really sad what has become of the family unit....everyone just wants someone else to handle it!!!! That is where the issue starts!!!

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 6/5/11 8:29pm
Msg #385254

"Yessiree, Bob." You talkin' to ME?????!!!!! n/m

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/6/11 2:08am
Msg #385261

Now, Bob, you're not really an Old Phart, are you? n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.