Experience with LSI
Notary Discussion History

Experience with LSI
Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by Lynn Gidlow on 6/10/11 10:32am
Msg #385776

Experience with LSI

Just a heads up...
I did my first signing for LSI yesterday. It was part of a multi-loan deal. One of the loans needed to be financed the next day. I was instructed to fax back certain documents so the loan would close. I got in touch with LSI both by email and by phone to tell them that I did not have a fax and would need to go to FedEx Office. As a result, I told them the fax back would be quite costly. When I finally reached someone by phone, I was told to "hold on" while they checked. The person I spoke to said to fax the documents and to invoice them for the amount it cost.

After a 4-1/2 hr. signing and a 45 mile trip, I went to FedEx and the bill was $51.78 for 33 pages (it included long distance charges). This amount also included a discount of $27.90. I submitted the invoice for $51.78.

Later that day, I got an email saying I would be reimbursed $10. I objected and reiterated what it cost. I got a call this morning saying that the best they could do was to reimburse me $35.

Caution - whatever agreement is made with any company ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING. Dumb me!!! (BTW - I will NEVER work with them again. Everyone there, I'm sure, got their commission, but this lowly Notary is SOL.)

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/10/11 10:44am
Msg #385778

I am sorry you had this sad experience--being told one thing and then they reneg on that.
Yes--get it in writing--always.
However, another thing we all should note is the 'street value' of faxing... it is costly and we should be compensated well for the service we provide.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/10/11 10:47am
Msg #385779

Do you not have a scanner?

I understand about not being able to outfax. But if you are going to offer professional services, then you need to have available the equipment that professionals require. Not having a means of sending back documents is like a football referee without a whistle.

Reply by Lynn Gidlow on 6/10/11 4:23pm
Msg #385818

Yes I have a scanner. However, it doesn't scan legal size paper. Since most of it was legal size, and there were 33 pages, I did what was asked. Certainly I knew the costliness of faxing and, as I said, I informed them before I did it.

Reply by 101livescan on 6/10/11 10:55am
Msg #385780

Portable Scanner! You can scan at FEDEX and email from your laptop or by using a FEDEX computer for $.25 a minute.

The ability to scan/faxback is key in today's climate! Particularly with next day/fax fundings.

LSI is one of the better vendors on the radar screen. Sorry it cost you.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/10/11 11:16am
Msg #385782

Agree with the others...don't know how you

have a business like this without fax or scan capability - and I'm also surprised LSI did not reassign the signing when you told them you couldn't do it...not a bit surprised they refused to pay that fax bill...

BTW, the pack n ship near me is cheaper - food for thought - I think FedEX charges top dollar.

But now you know - start googling "scanning" or go buy a fax machine or MFC

JMO and JME

Reply by Linda Juenger on 6/10/11 11:35am
Msg #385785

Re: Agree with the others...don't know how you

Peeking at your profile Lynn, you have been a Certified Signing Agent since 2005. This certainly can't be the first time in 6 years that you have had to fax or scan docs back for funding the same day.

I am very surprised too that ANY company would agree to that amt in fax back fee. How can they? If they did, none of us would need a fax machine or scanner.

Save yourself this hassle and get the equipment needed to perform your duties properly. I have a phone line in my office dedicated to a fax machine, BUT that is not necessary if you have a scanner. My hubby also depends on the fax machine for his business so it pays to have that line for both of us. Worth the added cost of a phone line we can Both use.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/10/11 1:49pm
Msg #385800

I bought a canon all in one for under $60.00 n/m

Reply by CopperheadVA on 6/10/11 11:28am
Msg #385783

LSI will pay a faxback fee but they cap it at $10. They will add the $10 to your closing fee if you request it when you see that faxbacks are required or if you notify them when you submit your closing report. Make sure you update your vendor profile to reflect that you charge the faxback fee. When you spoke to them, LSI should have told you they would reimburse only $10. My advice is to get the $35 in writing and chalk it up as a learning experience. I would be surprised if any company would agree to pay FedEx retail for faxbacks, but they should not have reneged if they told you they would.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 6/10/11 11:37am
Msg #385786

Wait - you are a signing agent without a fax machine at your

disposal....
I'm stunned.
Or at lease a scanner.
CAUTION:
If you are prepared with the proper equipment, you won't have to go through the hassle the way you did.

Reply by Frank/NC on 6/10/11 11:42am
Msg #385787

I'm surprised they even paid the $35. How could you be in this business and not have a Fax machine and then ask them for an additional $52. You say you would never work for them again but don't be surprised if they don't call you again. And you have been doing signings since when?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/10/11 11:47am
Msg #385788

A fax machine is essential in this business. There are some inexpensive all-in-one's out there.

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 6/10/11 1:39pm
Msg #385799

While I agree w/ the remarks that Sa shud have had a fax/

LSI KNEW it would cost more than $10! That is why I don't do fax-backs for free - it is a service that DOES cost the SA. B/c SS's & TC's sometimes like to .05 & .10 us to death (I've used that alot lately), they make it seem like it's no big deal. $15 or $25 is quite a bargain & instead of just dropping docs (esp for a purchase on non- rescission loan) faxing makes us have to make an extra trip to drop same-day. More work, time, travel & expense for SA = that much more of a bargain!

Reply by Lynn Gidlow on 6/10/11 4:32pm
Msg #385820

Re: While I agree w/ the remarks that Sa shud have had a fax/

Thanks for understanding Hrdwrker (you seem to be the only one on this board)

And for all of you who are so "shocked" that I don't have a fax - I actually have a Dell all-in-one and have had it for years. I opted against having a fax because it's outdated technology. I scan everything. Since I ran it by LSI first, I had no qualms about going to FedEx and doing it quickly. After all, I was going to invoice the cost back to LSI as agreed upon at the beginning. The point is this....when you make an agreement, no matter how ridiculous it is, it is an agreement. My word is my bond - not so with others I guess.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/10/11 4:57pm
Msg #385827

You said...

"I got in touch with LSI both by email and by phone to tell them that I did not have a fax and would need to go to FedEx Office."

And now you said... "I actually have a Dell all-in-one and have had it for years. I opted against having a fax because it's outdated technology. I scan everything"

So...you have the ability to return the docs back as they requested, you could have scanned it back for nothing, or a nominal charge - instead, you chose, for your own convenience, to incur a $51+ charge at FedEx...and you're angry because LSI won't foot the bill?

Do I have that right?? And you think we don't understand?

Sorry....*I* don't understand...but I hope LSI still monitors this board...

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/10/11 6:02pm
Msg #385846

Re: While I agree w/ the remarks that Sa shud have had a fax/

<<<I actually have a Dell all-in-one and have had it for years. I opted against having a fax because it's outdated technology.>>>

If it matters to LSI that the docs be faxed backed to them (not scanned and emailed) and you have the equipment (Dell all-in-one) you should have complied with their request and not put this totally unnecessary expense on their back.

<<<The point is this....when you make an agreement, no matter how ridiculous it is, it is an agreement.>>>

No, the point is you cost LSI extra money when you shouldn't have.

Reply by dickb/wi on 6/10/11 3:44pm
Msg #385807

you can get an hp all in one with a doc feeder for around $99---i never fax anymore---i scan to the computer as a pdf and e-mail it away.....

Reply by John Schenk on 6/10/11 3:55pm
Msg #385810

$51.78 for a 33 page fax?

That's about $1.57 a page. No wonder they cried foul. I give'em the first 10 pages and charge $1 a page thereafter. They're offering a little more than $1 per page for the fax, which seems reasonable to me.

JJ

Reply by MW/VA on 6/10/11 4:00pm
Msg #385813

Sorry that you took that hit, Lynn. Most of us learned very

quickly that it was necessary to have a fax machine, because faxing from outside is cost-prohibitive.
Even if your paid an extra $25 for fax-backs (no happening these days, anyway).
Now scanners are the way to go, and you don't need a fax line.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 6/10/11 9:15pm
Msg #385863

Re: Sorry that you took that hit, Lynn. Most of us learned very

I did a closing for LSI a few weeks ago. A large amount fax backs were required but I was not informed of this until I received docs. I added a note to that fact on my completion report. When I received the fee verification they had added $25.00 for the fax backs..Sweet!

I like working for LSI, no fuss and payment is always timely!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.