For DIYers: iPhone car diagnostics app
Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 6/12/11 5:21pm
Msg #386014

For DIYers: iPhone car diagnostics app

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/car/e915?cpg=fbl_e915

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/12/11 6:05pm
Msg #386017

That URL re-directs to someplace else, My computer will not allow re-directs (virus protection). Anyway I look for it on my IPHONE...Does it cost ? I only do free ones.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 6/12/11 6:23pm
Msg #386019

If you are really interested in diagnosing your own auto / truck do yourself a favor and buy a code reader. The simple ones will read the code, you will reference the included manual and it will tell you what is acting up. They are not that costly.
Here is an example.

http://amzn.to/lzkHte

Professional ones can be a grand or more, but for the shade tree mechanic, this will do.

The iPhone app will get you into more trouble than you need to be. These days, it is not possible to diagnose the electronics without a connection to the Electronic Control Module.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/12/11 6:42pm
Msg #386022

Glenn, there's an APP for that ROFLMAO n/m

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 6/13/11 12:35pm
Msg #386055

Re: Glenn, there's an APP for that ROFLMAO

Yeah, I know. I chuckle at things people are trying to get their iPhone to do. Even though it's not my life's work, I do hold ASE certifications in several areas mainly now because I still do all my own work except for transmissions. And you can't even be a shade tree mechanic now days without having taken at least some diagnostic courses.

A hundred bucks for a cord to go from your car to iPhone when you can buy something purpose built and won't give bad info is just a little much. I have seen people use this thing and damage both their phone and ECM.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.