Notary Rotary
General Notary Work..guidance needed
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by michnott on 6/1/11 10:09am
Msg #384846

I see on this board that notaries are thankful for income from general notary work. I must admit I have no idea how to structure a fee schedule for general notary work. I would guess it would combine what fee is allowed by your state plus time and travel. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/1/11 10:14am
Msg #384847

You have it right. Only caveat is if your state limits travel fees in some way. Some states do; some don't.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 6/1/11 10:31am
Msg #384851

I am in California and California notary Law allows $10.00/

per signature notarized.
Since I always follow notary law, I charge $10.00 per signature notarized.
The general notarizations I have done were very simple - no travel, so I charged $10.00/per signature.
If the notarization involved more customer service or going the extra step, I might charge a service fee or something klike that.
It is important to discuss ID required and the fee for the service when the appointment is set up.
These general notarizations, if frequent, can help offset the amount we are losing in these hard economic times.
General notarizations are quick and are generally paid in cash.
My fee structure is $10.00/per signature notarized - per California notary Law.
Very straightforward and simple.

Stephanie

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 6/1/11 10:42am
Msg #384854

Re: I am in California and California notary Law allows $10.00/

You're probably losing money if you don't charge a travel fee in CA. Is your gas free? How about oil changes?
If you have an office, that's ok. I would never allow people into my house.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 6/1/11 4:25pm
Msg #384899

Re: I am in California and California notary Law allows $10.00/

I may travel 1 - 4.5 miles, so I'm not losing money by any means.

Reply by BobbiCT on 6/1/11 10:42am
Msg #384855

"notary PUBLIC" services

Check your state laws. For example, in CT you are NOT allowed to charge for "time," only the $5 per notarization fee plus 35 cents per mile for travel.

Ancient traditionally, a notary Public was a PUBLIC official commissioned to serve the public ... not to profit from public service. Every state is different; however, most notaries didn't become public officials for the high profit margin, they did so to assist their employers, customers, friends and neighbors.

Reply by Carol Graff on 6/1/11 11:00am
Msg #384858

Re: "notary PUBLIC" services

I generally chg. $30 for local travel (within 5 miles), plus $10 per signature. If there are alot of docs, I discount the fee. Also, when I notarize for Estate Planning Atty's I give them a "package" deal whether it is 6 or 10 docs. A plan for one person will be a little lower than a Joint Estate as there are two people involved. Go thru your yellow pages and send cards or visit Attys who do Estate Plans--many do not have an in-house notary. Sometimes I get a call from someone who is over 10 miles away for 1 signature. It is not worth my time, so I tell them to go to local postal place or UPS. IF they travel to me, I will only chg. them $10 signature.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/1/11 11:20am
Msg #384861

Thank you Bobbi/CT

>>>"... a notary Public was a PUBLIC official commissioned to serve the public ... not to profit from public service. Every state is different; however, most notaries didn't become public officials for the high profit margin, they did so to assist their employers, customers, friends and neighbors"<<<

This is exactly what I teach my students - being a Notary Public is not about making money, hence my hesitance to get involved in the signing agent profession. I believe that notaries should go into this expecting that they will NOT get rich. The office of Notary Public is all about public service, not profit. If you CAN make money at it, good for you - but don't make money by ripping off members of the public.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/1/11 11:23am
Msg #384863

Can't help but be curious, Robert.

Do you charge for setting up a wedding and performing a wedding service?

Signing agents offer a commodity called convenience. I am guessing that wedding officiates do as well.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/1/11 11:36am
Msg #384865

Yes, I do charge for weddings

HOWEVER - I always offer the couple the state-mandated $30.00 wedding if they come to my office - any time of the day, any day of the week. If they want to meet me at my office in the middle of the night, it is still $30. I obviously charge extra if I have to travel 20 miles, attend rehearsals, and get my suit drycleaned.

I see many here that do not offer any particular place where they will render notarial services without a travel fee - and I think that is unfair. Every notary should have some place - whether it is their home, office, McDonalds or Starbucks - where they are willing to meet someone to notarize at the state-allowed fee.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/1/11 11:44am
Msg #384866

Re: Yes, I do charge for weddings

* Every notary should have some place - whether it is their home, office, McDonalds or Starbucks - where they are willing to meet someone to notarize at the state-allowed fee.*

I have to agree with you there; or, they should have someone that partner with to refer people to.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/1/11 12:04pm
Msg #384867

Re: Yes, I do charge for weddings

Come to my home, a flat $10.00 per Doc.

One day a week in the A.M. I notarize Docs free at the Senior center in my neighborhood......limit one Doc per Senior. Notary Public

Reply by SharonMN on 6/1/11 12:09pm
Msg #384869

No travel fee notarizations

I really disagree with this. In MN I can charge $1. My time is not worth that - it's not even minimum wage in most cases by the time I get ID checked, etc. I pretty much limit my practice to notarizations at my day job (why I was originally commissioned), friends (who don't get charged), and signing agent work.

If someone wants a $1 notarization, they can go to the county service center during business hours. There's no need for me to duplicate that service.

Regarding: * Every notary should have some place - whether it is their home, office, McDonalds or Starbucks - where they are willing to meet someone to notarize at the state-allowed fee.*

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/1/11 12:20pm
Msg #384871

Re: No travel fee notarizations

>>>In MN I can charge $1. My time is not worth that ... <<<

Well then , not trying to sound like I am attacking you, but maybe you shouldn't have become a notary - knowing that your state allows you to charge $1 - if doing notarizations for the public (i.e. the whole reason for the creation of a Notary Public ofice) is not worth your time.

MHO

Reply by rengel/CA on 6/2/11 1:26pm
Msg #384952

Many, many Notaries become

Notaries for the company they work for - not to make money at it. And they don't make any extra money for it

So telling my employer that there are enough notaries already commissioned and he can just send his clients to a notary down the street instead of having one in his office is bullsh*t - in my not so humble opinion.

And for those who buy into the XYZ crap that you can mak3 $100k a year with $50 loan packages get what they deserve for not doing their due diligence in checking out the industry prior to diving in head first.

My .02

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/1/11 7:23pm
Msg #384908

Re: No travel fee notarizations

*If someone wants a $1 notarization, they can go to the county service center during business hours. There's no need for me to duplicate that service.*

Agree, Sharon. As long as that's available for them, then they are in good shape.

I always tell people, I can come to you and do this for $XX, or you can go to UPS Store and More in the morning and get it done for $6 bucks, or sometimes free. Usually, they are please.

On occasion, I will do the notarizations here...student with car towed, those kinds of things. I don't even charge them most of the time.

I also have a little "station" that I can set up. A tv tray, $20 ones, and a seal and a journal and I'm on the porch notarizing documents, if I don't want to spend time in my house with a guy needing probation or parole documents notarized.

I don't bring much of this into the condo-hood. It's actually against the rules and I am respectful of that.

Different strokes for different folks.

Reply by NJDiva on 6/1/11 1:18pm
Msg #384877

lol...ignorance is bliss...

FlaNotary2, your self-righteous ignorance precedes you. (I hate calling names, but sometimes it just feels so warranted!!)

You have no problem charging to "train" notaries...hmmmmm! Quite contradictory, no? So you'll take advantage and make money off the backs of Notaries that are wanting to "help" the public? Oh wait, I just assumed you charge for that. Do you "train" for free?

Seriously, being a Notary Public is not an altruistic movement. However, IMO, it is about making yourself more essential and needed. I became a notary for employment needs. I had no idea there was the niche of being an NSA. If there is a need why in the world would it be done for free? Are you for real? Please, stop with the sanctimonious, pompous, arrogance.

Now I see why so many people get frustrated when you respond.

I appreciate many of your posts FLANOTARY2, but really, you need to end your opinions with the disclaimer "IMO". I'm sure I will still appreciate more of your posts, but PLEASE spare us the spiel of why you're better than.

Of course I say the above in MY very humble opinion. Can I getta Amen Sista? LMAO Should I prepare for battle? lmao

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/1/11 1:48pm
Msg #384879

Re: lol...ignorance is bliss...

First of all, I *did* end my post to Sharon/MN with "MHO".

Second of all, I have explained many times why I train notaries. It is *INEVITABLE* that people will obtain notary commissions. Here in Florida, we have over 420,000 notaries - more than ANY OTHER STATE. Maybe some others don't think this is a big deal - but it IS a big deal in Florida, where we DO have two notaries on every corner. Every major street in my city - Tampa, which is a fairly large area - has at least one, and in many cases three or four, AMSCOT locations that have clueless notaries.

If it is inevitable that notaries are going to become commissioned, I would rather that they come to me to be trained - so at least there will be a few more notaries out there who know what they are doing. You really think I am getting rich by teaching notary classes? I am one of only 17 state-approved notary instructors in this whole state - and one of only 2 that holds live classes on a regular basis. And of the two, I am $25 cheaper. I make $1.50 off of each one of my books that sells - and just got my first royalties check of a whopping $29. I suppose my selling a book is just another "money maker" also.

Trust me, I would rather have a cap put on notary applications than to teach classes. But until there is a cap in place I will continue to teach so that I know at least 1 out of every 10,000 notaries has a clue what they are supposed to be doing.

You said: "However, IMO, it is about making yourself more essential and needed."

NEWSFLASH!: In Florida, new notaries are neither essential nor needed. There is no question we have more notaries than we need. I am working with lawmakers to make the requirements more difficult but no matter what we do there will always be notary applicants.

If you don't like my posts - then do me a favor - don't read them. This position is a public office, NOT a money making machine. I have a different perspective of the notarial office at large than most others on this board. We are all entitled to our own opinions - and if you don't think so than go to the numbers site!

Reply by Cari on 6/1/11 2:15pm
Msg #384883

Robert, will you do the same for Attorneys....?

<<NEWSFLASH!: In Florida, new notaries are neither essential nor needed. There is no question we have more notaries than we need. I am working with lawmakers to make the requirements more difficult but no matter what we do there will always be notary applicants.>>

I suppose you could then work on limiting the amount of lawmakers, golfers, alligators....or do you all have crocks?

LMFAO...

Reply by NJDiva on 6/1/11 2:23pm
Msg #384884

hmmm...

As I said, I like most of your posts, Robert. I was responding to the first one, not the one to Sharon. I don't know how much the training is that you are referring to as to your being "$25 cheaper" but nonetheless, you make money off the backs of other notaries, is that not true?

It's all relative. This is America, we are about making money. Again, this is not an altruistic movement. If some of us believe that we can make it a living, please don't make it seem like we are wrong for having that intention.

Maybe that was not your intention, but I don't think I'm the only one that perceived it as such. "This position is a public office, NOT a money making machine."

Oh wait, what other way is there to take that? It perplexes me that you have such audacity. Please stop while you're ahead. I would really like to maintain respect for other posts you have which does not include this particular issue.

"If you don't like my posts - then do me a favor - don't read them." That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard...well since 3rd grade that is. Come on, you can't keep up with a line of messages without reading them. Besides, I'll say for the umpteenth time, I really admire many of your posts. I DO want to read them when they don't exude, IMO, arrogance, self-righteousness and smugness.

The above is just my personal thoughts and feelings. I guess I could end by saying "If you don't like my posts - then do me a favor - don't read them."

Please forgive me if I exude the same airs as I've been offended by.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/1/11 2:29pm
Msg #384888

See my post below n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/1/11 4:03pm
Msg #384897

Re: hmmm...

I have to agree with the essence of NJDIVA's post. There's a lot of room between "a public office, NOT a money making machine." Missing in this equation is that even public officials get a salary, as does Robert in his full time job. It's easy to be self-righteous about this when you're already "making a living" and I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to "make a living" by offering notary services, especially in the process of offering other services at the same time (like loan signing, or being mobile and traveling to the signer for their convenience).

While I know there are a few folks in our business out there who work very hard and very smart and do quite well as a result, I don't think anyone is getting what I would call "rich" at this, nor do I think anyone who works this business full time would consider it a "money making machine"! The difference is whether or not we are taking advantage of someone and I don't think that's the case for the vast majority of the people here.

As with any service, there are a variety of niches where people can choose to specialize, based on their particular circumstances, talents, skills or state law. (Doing weddings comes to mind.) It doesn't necessarily mean that one is better than another. I can't count how many times people have thanked me profusely for coming to their home - or helping to simplify the process of signing of their loan docs. These folks don't feel like they're being abused or taken advantage of in any way. To the contrary. So while I do sometimes wear the public servant hat, I wear other hats, as well, and sometimes that also means using my notary commission, as I'm sure is true with most here. And most people I come in contact with agree that people who do what I do deserve to be compensated accordingly.

Bottom line, like with most things, there isn't only one way of looking at our profession and I don't think it's fair to expect everyone with a notary commission to follow one model. After all, if we're in a state that allows us to charge a fee for our services, implicit in that statement is that what we do has some value. Beyond that is a matter of degree, interpretation - and the variances in our state laws.

That's my 2 cents... Wink

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/1/11 4:56pm
Msg #384902

Re: hmmm...YOUR .02 worth a dollar Janet..

Last month I made a wopping $410.00 month (May) before that (April ), $135.00, and month before that (Mar ) $3,000+....I'm definitely in it for the money (or lack there of). Notary Public.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 6/1/11 5:28pm
Msg #384903

Well said Janet. n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/1/11 7:26pm
Msg #384911

*Trust me, I would rather have a cap put on notary applications than to teach classes. But until there is a cap in place I will continue to teach so that I know at least 1 out of every 10,000 notaries has a clue what they are supposed to be doing.*

As I have gotten to know you, I truly believe that.

Reply by Cari on 6/1/11 2:10pm
Msg #384880

TOTALLY DITTO NJDIVA....excellent response! n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/1/11 2:13pm
Msg #384882

I don't know of anyone that teaches the notary classes for free.
It is a required three hour class in Florida. The cost of the materials has to be covered.

I see no problem with Robert receiving a fee for the classes he teaches.

Unfortunately many notaries got a commission to make the "big bucks" promised by the NNA.
I became a notary before I ever heard about loan signings. Now I only do general notary work and only charge the state's allowable charge when I do charge. A lot of times I don't charge as the clients are often retired military or senior citizens.

I haven't always agreed with Robert, as most of you know, but I do agree with his posts in this thread (well, except for him figuring in the cost to dry clean his suit)

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/1/11 2:28pm
Msg #384887

>>>(well, except for him figuring in the cost to dry clean his suit)<<<

LOL... I was trying to make a point! Smile

Performing a wedding requires a lot more work than traditional notarizations. There is a lot of planning, rehearsing, meeting with the couple, talking with the couple, etc. And yes, there is some getting dressed up involved. It warrants additional fees. It isn't just reading a ceremony off of a paper - you have to know how to direct the entire wedding, as most of the time the couple expects you - the officiant - to know where everyone stands, how they are supposed to walk, etc. It is definitely unlike any other notary work and definitely different from loan signings. The fees I charge for weddings are more than fair - and are mostly cheaper than those of freelance ministers who perform weddings in my area.

And as for teaching classes, I have explained it many times before (Msg #377683) but I teach classes because I am passionate about being a notary and I love sharing this passion with others, not because I want to rip-off new notary applicants. I charge $50 a person and never have more than seven people at a class. This is $350 a month - not factoring in the costs of the workbooks that I give each student and other materials used in class. How about the countless hours I spent writing my book, writing the course, and getting that course approved by the Governor's office? Teaching classes is fun but it can also be a lot of work.

I didn't say that signing agents aren't entitled to fees for printing documents and traveling - because they are entitled to those fees. I apologize if my comments came off as if I said that signing agents are a rip off. The signing agent profession quite simply does not appeal to me. It just doesn't "feel" like the same public service you provide when you perform a routine notarization.

It does bother me when notaries don't have a neutral place where they will perform notarizations without a travel fee. You are free to disagree, but I think this defeats the purpose of notaries as public servants.

JMHO

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/1/11 2:50pm
Msg #384889

Most of my weddings have been on the beach. First one I performed was a sky diving one. I have also performed them at the Okeechobee Correctional Institution (those were very interesting LOL). I have had a couple show up at the house wanting to get married early in the morning while I was still in my robe! Then there was the call I got at 11pm from a couple wanting to get married there and then - they were outside a 7-11 and expected me to marry them in the parking lot, I persuaded them to go across the highway to the beach. (they had had the license for a couple of weeks and just decided to use it!)

But I have never had to tell the couples where to stand or how to walk.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/1/11 3:36pm
Msg #384895

I don't know Sylvia - you told them to cross the street. That is directions.

JMHO

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/1/11 4:32pm
Msg #384900

Ah but I didn't tell them to cross the street. I asked them how they would feel in years to come telling their children/grandchildren that they got married in a 7-11 parking lot when they could have got married on the beach. That persuaded them that the beach would be a better choice to get married.

I couldn't believe it when Becca called me at 11pm at night asking if I was available. The guy had called her first, she called me and then called him back with my number.
Guess Becca didn't feel like the long drive from Vero Beach to Satellite Beach at 11pm LOL

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 6/1/11 7:39pm
Msg #384912

Robert......

If you are doing all that wedding preparation for a few measly dollars, you are working way too hard.
The wedding coordinator at the site takes care of the rehearsal, showing people where to stand, etc. It's not rocket science. The only time we actually take part in a rehearsal is when we are a captive audience at a hotel out of town!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/2/11 2:17am
Msg #384916

Point taken, Robert.

I think most would agree that you deserve to get paid for doing weddings and for your classes. (I say "most" only because we can never get everyone to agree about anything! Wink) I reread your posts above and I see where we may have misinterpreted your statements. Also, kudos to you for coming across a bit more tolerant and less judgmental in your post above! Smile

"It just doesn't "feel" like the same public service you provide when you perform a routine notarization."

We're all entitled to our feelings and need to be true to them. But while it may not feel as much like a public service to you, I believe this is just another example of different strokes for different folks. You've made decisions for yourself that feel right for you and that's a very good thing. You appear to have found a good niche for yourself. But others may feel as you do about whatever niche they have decided to focus on and I believe their choices are just as valid for them.

I happen to be among those who do have a few places where I meet people without charging a travel fee, but my state makes it a little more worth while than many others do. I believe that in those states that pay next to nothing for a notarized signature, people should have the right to decline straight notarizations if their chosen business model is to be mobile. For $1 or $2, it wouldn't be worth it, imho, to start the car, let alone interrupt other activities or possibly risk having to turn down decent paying assignments. At least that's the decision I would make for myself in that kind of circumstance.

Reply by Cari on 6/2/11 3:51pm
Msg #384966

Seems to me Florida NP's are not getting paid what the

going rate is for the average Wedding Officiant out my way gets paid...

But can you all marry couples, NOT using your Notary Public hat?

Just curious?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/2/11 4:15pm
Msg #384969

Re: Seems to me Florida NP's are not getting paid what the

A notary public in Florida is authorized to perform weddings but is only allowed the fee that the clerk of the court gets (which is $30), so as Robert said if the couple go to his office then he can only charge the $30. But otherwise he can charge travel fees etc.

We can marry couples without using our notary public hat if we are ordained ministers.

from Florida statutes:

741.07&#8195;Persons authorized to solemnize matrimony.—

(1)&#8195;All regularly ordained ministers of the gospel or elders in communion with some church, or other ordained clergy, and all judicial officers, including retired judicial officers, clerks of the circuit courts, and notaries public of this state may solemnize the rights of matrimonial contract, under the regulations prescribed by law. Nothing in this section shall make invalid a marriage which was solemnized by any member of the clergy, or as otherwise provided by law prior to July 1, 1978.

(2)&#8195;Any marriage which may be had and solemnized among the people called “Quakers,” or “Friends,” in the manner and form used or practiced in their societies, according to their rites and ceremonies, shall be good and valid in law; and wherever the words “minister” and “elder” are used in this chapter, they shall be held to include all of the persons connected with the Society of Friends, or Quakers, who perform or have charge of the marriage ceremony according to their rites and ceremonies.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/2/11 5:31pm
Msg #384984

I always officiate as a Notary Public

I see no reason not to. I can still charge travel fees as a Notary Public as described in the Governor's Reference Manual for Notaries.

Reply by NJDiva on 6/1/11 3:13pm
Msg #384893

Sylvia...

I don't have a problem with anybody earning money any way they choose (well, as long as it's not dishonest, deceiving or illegal-especially toward ME! ), all I have a problem with is the airs that have been portrayed. I could care less what he OR anyone else charges for services rendered.

I charge for services rendered and don't want to feel bad or degraded for doing so.

That's it, plain and simple. You don't have to defend Robert to me (at least that's my perception of your response.) I like him and what he shares.

But if I feel there is injustice, I'm going to call it like I see it!!!! That's why being a notary is a perfect business, field, job, career...whatever you want to call it, for me!!!

I say more power to you all!!! Do whatchya gotta do. Makes no diff to me!!!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/1/11 3:21pm
Msg #384894

Re: Sylvia...

"I charge for services rendered and don't want to feel bad or degraded for doing so."

You shouldn't feel bad or degraded for doing so.

I don't believe Robert was trying to make anyone feel bad or degraded. Think he was just trying to reiterate what Bobbi said, that traditionally a notary public is a public official commissioned to serve the public and not for a high profit margin.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/2/11 6:55am
Msg #384917

Truthfully, that has been

my concern for many years, that the office of notary public swirled off into a money making proposition and I held my nose up in the air about it. I disdained it. Wouldn't even look at one of those NNA ads that bombarded me in the mail the years previous to my signing agent days.

But, then I caught up. I saw that times had changed. Notaries' services became more needed, convenience in all industries became a highly sought commodity.

Time became more scarce, and time was outsourced in trade for convenience. As long as there are notary services generously available to the public, and as long as the public is willing and eager to barter its time for conveniently delivered services, there is nothing wrong with offering reasonable rates for delivering that convenience.

I reflect on a certain native Australian professor (and others who have come after him). The convenience of a notary who would rush to his house for less than $50 on a Saturday morning to notarize university-required documents for employment was like the best thing he and stunning Irish wife had ever heard of. They were so appreciative. I told them, "Yes, I will charge you $XX, or you can go 2 miles north on Hwy. 6, turn on XXX and there's a walk in UPS store with a notary there. It will be $6 per document." He said that they wanted someone to come there. I notarized three documents and saw a beautiful minimalist home with objects not often available to view in real life to the middle class. It was perfectly set with quiet classical music in the background and his wife's soft breathy lilt welcoming me in their home and "Would you like a cup of tea?".

I also reflect on a frail old man and sick wife in a duplex a few miles away. I was called to that little home by a son who dashed in from Houston with a document for dad to sign. He called me while he was there and said, "Can you please notarize a document for my parents. Here's the address, I will leave the fee on the table." I quoted him a healthy rate. I did the notarization and picked up the smallest bill, a five, to cover my gas and told the man, "You keep this. It's free money." He cracked a small conspiratorial smile at me, I did not revise the receipt. Then, I was out the door.

As I got into the car, I received the call from the professor and his wife a short distance away. Reward? Perhaps.

Convenience is what we deliver. I would rather a compassionate, knowledgeable notary deliver as many conveniences of that nature possible than those who are in it just for the money and somewhat ignorant. I will go when I am called and I will have no problem earning for what I do in those appointments.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/2/11 6:57am
Msg #384918

Wow, that was long, Short Version: "It ain't Rome any more." n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 6/2/11 8:14am
Msg #384924

Great story though.

One of mine was the $20 I took and then gave to the kids (8, 9?) and told them to take their parents out for pizza or something. The entire family was agog, and that alone is worth more than any fee.

Everyting is situational, and gifts abound. Two stores among hundreds I'm sure.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/2/11 5:45pm
Msg #384993

Excellent post, Brenda!! And couldn't agree more... Thanks!! n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 6/1/11 3:04pm
Msg #384892

You got it...Amen Sista! LOL n/m

Reply by Roger_OH on 6/1/11 12:07pm
Msg #384868

In Ohio, you're limited to the state-allowed $2 for an acknowledgement, or $1.50 for a jurat.

Travel fees of $15-$30 are common, depending upon the distance involved; just ensure you tell the signer upfront that travel is in addition to the notary fee. They can accept it or not.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/1/11 3:02pm
Msg #384891

Since notary fees vary by state, general notary work is more lucrative in some areas like CA where the notary fee is $10.
I do some general notary work. The allowed VA fee is $5, but I have a minimum fee of $25 w/travel.
I explain that to anyone who calls. Sometimes they need my services, sometimes not. I refer many to a local shipping store where I know a notary is there from 10 am-6 pm. My service is main structured for home-bound people, hospitals, nursing homes, etc.
Also be prepared for calls on weekends & holidays, when notary services aren't available otherwise.
You can get a free listing on yellow-pages.com.
I read your question to be about general notary work. Some who provide other services, such as wedding officiants, is a whole other subject, IMO, because that isn't really notary work. Smile

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/1/11 11:12pm
Msg #384913

$10 per stamp in OR. Got a call via my web/NR

presence last week about 9 AM for a simple gig; all of us were over fifty, it was right down on the beach in a perfect little condo, second floor.

Daughter gave the details: her Mother had a severely broken paw, and would be getting physical therapy that AM. Those are so tiring, I said, if she wants a nap after lunch, just give a ring when it's easy and convenient, and I'll pop over. I quoted a price - for printing a few .pdf pages to save them the trip, then popping over later in the afternoon.

She said, that's not enough, so I said if she wanted to pay XX more, I'd take it. She said, "Done!"

She emailed me the docs, I printed 2 cash receipts, one for Mother's lawyer, and one for Daughter, called after I was up from my nap, and we had the best time. Stop me if you've heard this story before...heehe...another PenAgain story.

But my point is, that marketing is what you make it, and know your customers. Pass out lots of cards for this service, and make it understood that personal attention to the challenges at hand are in professional hands.

Every time we perform our duties, whether legislatively low, as in $1, or more in line with the hoops it takes to be able to perform our due diligence in the performance of our duties to the Public, like $10. The accomodations are what people value, and, depending on the particular circumstance, what I negotiate.

Have we not accepted a scraped-together sum, against earnest protests, to accomodate a good son/daughter/granddaughter...all of the pride they take in paying their way... I am guilty of shredding checks for $10, so as not to challenge a proud family in distress as it is.

In my State, we elect to 1) Charge No Fee Ever, or 2) Elect to either charge a fee or not.

I chose #2, which, gives me the greatest flexibility in negotiations.

Hope that helps.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/2/11 8:05am
Msg #384923

Perfect reasoning - mine too.

It is not all about the money - that's for sure.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.