Notary Rotary
Low ball fees
Notary Discussion History

Low ball fees
Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by CindyH on 6/5/11 2:03pm
Msg #385218

Low ball fees

On Thursday evening I was getting ready for a closing when another signing agent called and wanted me to take a deed of trust to the register of deeds, have it recorded and mail back to them. "We can pay $15 dollars for the job." I told them I could not do the job...which was in another county...for that fee. She hung up and called me back about ten minutes later and agreed to my fee. I still did not get enough because I misunderstood that it was in my county, not the one next to me.

On Thursday afternoon, this wee, I received an email from a company wanting me to drive 55 miles one way to deliver a package for $15 to $30 dollars. I did not even respond. I have a job and will not lower myself to fees that won't even pay for my gas much less an hourly fee.

I have put a lot of thought into my fees and will be sticking to them. I may pass up a few jobs, but that will be ok. Not working to make someone else money and not get any for myself.

Reply by Kevin/Ct on 6/5/11 3:35pm
Msg #385225

Generally recordings are entrusted to abstractors or attorneys for a good reason. The title search has to be updated from the last date of search down to the hour and minute of recording. This assures the mortgagee of its priority. If you are not prepared to perform the update of the title search...do not accept the assignment.

Furthermore the fee you were offered is ridiculous. The market rate is at least $50.00 because it involves the update of title search. There is more to it than just delivering the document to the recording clerk.

Reply by Barney on 6/5/11 7:49pm
Msg #385245

Re: Low ball fees turned down 2 last week

Ok one was 1st offer $50.00 to go 31 miles one way, she went up to $75.00 but turned it down anyway because their rating was very low. Yes I did tell her why and she said they have been working on that.
The next one was better $90.00 and needed to be done in a hour, turned that one down too. That have no idea how much money it takes to operate. This one also was one I had nerver heard of before and most likely would not even get paid.

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 6/5/11 7:57pm
Msg #385247

What were their names pls? n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/5/11 7:59pm
Msg #385249

I was offered $90 for a refi by a first-time-calling title company the other day - gave my fee of $130 - she asked if I could "meet her part-way" (so I'm expecting to hear "will you go to $110-$115?") ... she says "Can you do it for $100?"...

I stayed home.

Reply by CorpJen on 6/6/11 10:34am
Msg #385275

You need to name these companies...otherwise discussions don't benefit other notaries

Reply by DD/OR on 6/6/11 11:36am
Msg #385283

I think the low-ball companys already know that I would turn them down, because they don't even call me anymore. I'm not complaining. The calls I'm getting now are good calls, even if they are few.

Reply by CindyH on 6/6/11 10:52am
Msg #385277

It was Nations Signature Closers.

Reply by laurel/nc on 6/6/11 11:27am
Msg #385280

I'm not surprised....

Reply by aanotary on 6/6/11 12:11pm
Msg #385288

Re: Low ball fees & they want to charge you to work for them

they must be goofy??

Reply by MaryAnn Cole on 6/7/11 3:11pm
Msg #385385

Cindy, hooray for you!!More of us NSA's need to do this. We CAN make a difference in this business - if - we remember we are professionals and demand to be treated as such - which means paying us our fees and paying on timer as promised!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.