Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by Frances Prado on 6/17/11 2:09pm
Msg #386659

I am becoming a Notary and I'm planning on becoming a Certified Signing Agent, what's business like out there and does anyone have any tips on getting started... Thanks to all.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/17/11 2:29pm
Msg #386663

One question.....why?? n/m

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/17/11 4:48pm
Msg #386697

A 'certified' SA, yet! Hmmm... what for-profit organization

comes to mind?

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 6/17/11 2:46pm
Msg #386665

It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. If you read the posts here you will see that we are all dying on the vine. Don't quit your day job!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/17/11 3:13pm
Msg #386674

Frances
Click on the Find a Notary tab and do a search on your zip code. There are lots of signing agents in Florida.
Please don't listen to the NNA's hype about signing agents needed.
I used to run a successful signing service in Florida and business slowed down so much that it was hardly worth my time. Too many signing agents, not enough work.
Plus because of the oversaturation, companies aren't paying what they used to.
When I first started in the business over 10 years ago $50 was an average fee without printing out the docs when working for a signing service. Now over 10 years later the fees are low and you have to print out the docs, plus be expected to b available with no notice.
Used to be we had a few days notice. Not any more.
Consider your outlay, your commission and your E&O insurance for general notary work.
For signing agent work you need a workhorse of a laser printer, a fax line and a good reliable car just for starters.

I honestly wouldn't advise anyone to get into this business these days. And with the economy many people are underwater with their mortgages and can't get refis.

Reply by FeliseSoCal on 6/17/11 6:21pm
Msg #386711

Well said Sylvia...

The NNA's job is to sell the course. That's how they profit. They know there is no work out there. It's unscrupulous and I feel sorry for people making the investment to get into this. We are all struggling and unfortunately competing for what little business there is, which has driven profits way down.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/17/11 3:24pm
Msg #386677

I don't know who sold you on the idea of the NSA profession,

but I can guess. This business is terrible right now & many experienced & seasoned agents are leaving because it is no longer viable.
If you have other options, I suggest you consider another profession before spending money on training & equipment for this one.
Sorry, just trying to save you the effort & money.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/17/11 3:26pm
Msg #386679

And wait til Robert gets here - he'll tell you all about

the oversaturation of notaries in FL...

My one word question - why?? - was what I was getting at - why go for a notary commission (personal? job?) and who sold her the bill of goods

Reply by MW/VA on 6/17/11 3:31pm
Msg #386682

LOL. I have another view about the "oversaturation". n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 6/17/11 3:59pm
Msg #386688

Re: LOL. I have another view about the "oversaturation".

I have often wondered about the term "oversaturation" as used in NotRot. What is the difference between something being saturated and something being oversaturated? And then it occurred to me, quite clearly, what the difference is.

In chemistry, there is a phenomenon called "super-saturation." If you take a glass of water, and stir in sugar until the water will just no longer hold the sugar in solution, then the solution is saturated. But then, if you heat the saturated solution, the heated water will continue to take more sugar in solution; that is super-saturation. Cool the water down, though, and tap the container, and all the sugar that rendered it a super-saturated solution will filter out once again.

That is what happened to the NSA field. It became super-saturated. But then the container got tapped, by the mortgage crisis and the ensuing dearth of mortgages to close, and all the additional lenders, title companies, signing services and NSAs that super-saturated it filtered out. Now we're back once again to just being saturated.

And ain't nobody heating the water anymore.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/17/11 4:02pm
Msg #386690

Excellent analogy, Hugh! n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 6/17/11 6:39pm
Msg #386722

"And ain't nobody heating the water anymore. "

No need to do so - just set it outside in the sun...Summertime!

Reply by jba/fl on 6/17/11 6:30pm
Msg #386715

BossyLadMD and Larry/Il will be on your side though

And the rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves for discouraging yet another simple question of someone looking to begin a new career.

Weren't you all new at one time? Were you not all looking for encouragement after deciding this could be the thrust of your efforts and time, researched or not?

Was it so long ago that you have forgotten?

Come on Bossy Lad and Larry - help welcome yet another to our little community become entrenched in our everyday lives. Bring some of your patronizing cheer and good will for her. Do a body good.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/17/11 3:38pm
Msg #386684

BTW, this is a new tone for me, as you all know. I can't,

in good conscience, encourage anyone getting into this field.

Reply by Teresa Rowe on 6/17/11 4:32pm
Msg #386696

Re: Newbie- Don't waste your time or money and don't quit

your day job if you like eating and paying the bills! It's pretty bad when there is a Walgreens with a notary offering services on every corner....

Use the ORANGE BUTTON and read, I promise you will run like heck. JMO

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 6/17/11 6:07pm
Msg #386708

Re: Newbie- I don't think I can stand another troll n/m

Reply by FeliseSoCal on 6/17/11 6:18pm
Msg #386710

I'm shocked that people are trying to get into a business where the supply far exceeds the demand. Makes no sense.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/17/11 6:22pm
Msg #386712

Felise
They have no idea that supply far exceeds the demands, the NNA sells them a bill of goods!

Reply by mitoCA on 6/17/11 6:24pm
Msg #386713

I wonder why they keep giving Notary comissions? I am new also... to be honest, don't know what to do.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/17/11 6:30pm
Msg #386717

Some jobs require you to be a notary.
Plus the states make money from notary commissionsSmile

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/17/11 6:52pm
Msg #386723

"don't know what to do" - now THAT'S frightening... n/m

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/17/11 9:40pm
Msg #386736

One word. Spell it with me - O.V.E.R.S.A.T.U.R.A.T.E.D.

For Hugh... Here is my version of "oversaturated".

Take a container and fill it with water. Then start pouring in sugar. Keep pouring the sugar until it overflows the container, goes all over the floor, eventually covers the floor of the entire room, then the whole house, and keep pouring until sugar covers the entire surface of the earth 3 miles high.

That is what I mean when I say Florida is oversaturated with notaries.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/18/11 8:49am
Msg #386770

I think we got your point the first dozen or so posts. Is

this an anti-notary, anti-signing agent campaign? If so, it's not going to be very popular on a professional notary forum, where people are struggling to survive.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/18/11 10:21am
Msg #386792

Re: I think we got your point the first dozen or so posts. Is

>>>people are struggling to survive<<<

OK, so if the existing notaries are struggling why should we be encouraging MORE people to become notaries?

Reply by MW/VA on 6/18/11 3:52pm
Msg #386821

"....why should "we" be encouraging MORE people to become

notaries?". We're not. Many of the threads over the past week or so are about the agressive marketing of the XYZ, still selling NSA as a viable profession. It's a shame because IMO people are being ripped off by an org that claims to represent us.

Reply by NJDiva on 6/18/11 8:51am
Msg #386771

Newbies Need to File a Class Action Lawsuit

for false advertisement. I know when I took the course 6 years ago they were professing, "Don't worry about competition, there is plenty to go around."

That is an outright lie to suck the money out of unsuspecting people who have lost their jobs and income and are desperate to find some kind of way to keep from sinking even further. There is more overhead than is disclosed to those starting out in the business; things you wouldn't necessarily know to take into consideration.

What they don't tell you is that you don't get established overnight. It is not easy to even get an honest, decent paying, reputable client base. It took me, personally, at least 2-3 years of trial and error, being taken advantage of, and consistent marketing. I actually lost money in those years. If you have that kind of time to wait and money to waste and lose, then more power to you.

Keep in mind the fact that many of the people that are responding are not from your area and have absolutely nothing to gain or lose by sharing with you the truth about what is really going on in the market. Many of them have been in this business many more years than I have and have probably more experience than I probably ever will.

We can all sit here and say WELCOME, and good luck. But the fact of the matter is, we would be remiss if we did not share with you the reality of what is REALLY going on. Those that are doing so are good heart'd people that may not like negativity (the only thing I can think of.) But I'm sure if you asked them straight out, they would HONESTLY have to agree that what we are saying is true. Not a bit of dishonesty in it...maybe a bit of exaggerating by some, but they can't deny the truth if they are working the business and rely on it as a viable business.

I always end with, and sincerely mean, good luck if you do decide to pursue this as a business. Don't put any expectations on it, at the very least, and you won't be disillusioned or dissappointed.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/18/11 8:54am
Msg #386773

Great post, Cheryl. n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 6/18/11 9:22am
Msg #386780

There's a thought - TY Cheryl. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.