Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
One of the advantages of printing your own business cards...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 6/26/11 1:08am
Msg #387716

...is that you can change the information as frequently as you wish.

But one of the major benefits I have found is that it gives me the latitude to print cards for specific applications. I have a card, for example, for use as a signing agent. I have a mobile notary card I leave at hotels, motels and tow yards. And I have a card specially formatted for hospitals, with tips for the signer printed on the back.

I'm fortunate, since I have a background in desktop publishing. However, the DTP programs have gotten so simple that anybody can learn to use one in about a day's time, and they all come with templates. With the programs available now, it's easy to produce a highly professional business card, stationery or invoice.

The program I use is Microsoft Publisher. I've never been very happy using the Word DTP program, but some people might have more luck than me. There are lots of programs out there, though, and I'd recommend you try one.

Reply by patriciar/MD on 6/26/11 7:23am
Msg #387721

Thanks for the information on printing business cards. I am curious to know what kind of "tips" you advise the borrower on the back of the card? Thanks, again.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/26/11 8:42am
Msg #387728

He said "cards specifically for hospitals with tips..."

I'd guess these would be cards given by a third party to the potential signer with tips such as, for one, "valid current government-issued photo ID required". I'd probably add "please do not sign in advance" and "call for appointment"...

Just a guess on my part, but I don't think he's referring to borrowers here.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/26/11 12:38pm
Msg #387742

***what kind of "tips" you advise the borrower on the back of the card?***

1. Description of required ID

2. Don't sign in advance

3. Witnesses with ID needed for self-proving will

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/26/11 12:37pm
Msg #387741

Yes, yes, yes! Hugh is right.

*But one of the major benefits I have found is that it gives me the latitude to print cards for specific applications. I have a card, for example, for use as a signing agent. I have a mobile notary card I leave at hotels, motels and tow yards. And I have a card specially formatted for hospitals, with tips for the signer printed on the back.*

Just like a resume must be tailored to a job description if one wants to get called for an interview, business cards are exactly like that. Bullet point the services that the targeted recipient typically seeks.

-Don't give a signing agent card to a lawyer, give a mobile notary card that mentions home bound clients. "Signing agent" means little to most lawyers.

-Likewise, provide medical treatment providers a card that targets their needs when they are served with subpoenas that require production of documents.

-Hugh's tip is great stuff.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 6/26/11 8:27pm
Msg #387772

Re: Thanks Hugh..good tips n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/27/11 12:58am
Msg #387784

Those are all excellent reasons for self-printing, especially for unique situations.

One thing to remember, though... self-printed business cards aren't always a very good substitute for professionally printed ones.

For me, because of other work that I do, I have an account with a wholesale printer and I can get (at cost) 1000 professionally printed card for $9.99 before shipping. Now, that's WHOLESALE and I have to pay the taxes on that at the end of the year to the CA FTB... but for me, it's totally worth it. The cards are top notch.

Not that I'm knocking Hugh's idea... I'm not... because it can be effective... you just have to know your audience, because you can tell a home printed card and it can impact your professional image with the wrong audience.

HOWEVER, even "professionally" printed ones can look like garbage if the design is poor or if you choose a printer (ahem...VP) that doesn't produce high quality cards.

I know that idea ides of a "professional" card is rather subjective... but I've been handed plenty of flimsy cards, both pro and home printed... and they really DO make an impression - good and bad.

I think the key...more than anything...is to have a good design first. A good design can help make up for lightweight stock and inkjet printing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.