Notary Rotary
Outside my county
Notary Discussion History

Outside my county
Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by Darlene Fontenot on 6/8/11 11:17am
Msg #385483

Outside my county

I accepted to do a Refi for a company I have worked for before so accepting that job wasn't a problem, only thing that was questionable was they wanted me to travel to another county to do the signing. The property thats being Refi is in the county that I live in an not far from where I live. I asked them why I would have to travel to another county to do the signing and they said because we don't have a brick building in that county. Has anyone heard of that before?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/8/11 11:27am
Msg #385486

Don't you have to do it at a title office or atty's office? n/m

Reply by Darlene Fontenot on 6/8/11 11:37am
Msg #385492

Re: Don't you have to do it at a title office or atty's office?

It's not a Home Equity it's just a standard Refi

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/8/11 11:42am
Msg #385499

I may be wrong, but if memory serves me

it doesn't only apply to home equity loans - I thought it was also applicable to any cash-out refi in TX...

Maybe Brenda or John will pop in and clarify...

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/8/11 11:46am
Msg #385502

Or Chris, or Hugh or Sid...mea culpa!! n/m

Reply by A S Johnson on 6/8/11 12:05pm
Msg #385518

Re: Or Chris, or Hugh or Sid...mea culpa!!

Except for Sale/Purchase contracts, I have not encountered where the signer gpt money out of the property without it being done in a title/escrow or attorney office.
I now understand it is NOT my job to decide where the signing is done.
If the escrow officer/title lawyer makes a mistake, it's thier problem.
Hugh posted the other day where he came accross a little known "rule" about a "cure" for some mistake made on docs in TX. Remember Hugh is a retired attorney who knew Moses (lol).
My job is to I D and watch the signiers sign. As I hand the docs over to be signed I will give a short factual discription of the doc.

Reply by Darlene Fontenot on 6/8/11 12:01pm
Msg #385515

Re: I may be wrong, but if memory serves me

This is just a standard Refi no cash back to the borrower. I have done many signings at the borrowers location. I just didn't understand why I would have to go to another county to do the signing.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/8/11 12:13pm
Msg #385524

Because that is where everyone wants to meet. n/m

Reply by MaryAnn Cole on 6/8/11 11:55am
Msg #385509

What are the laws in your state? Here I have closed at restaurants - didn't like it but it worked. The idea behind mobile notary is just that - mobile. We go where it's convenient for the borrowers - not the lender, title company or signing service - unless laws where you practice state otherwise.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/8/11 12:11pm
Msg #385522

TX laws are different from TN. n/m

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/8/11 1:52pm
Msg #385535

OK... if they hired you to travel outside the county, and

you agreed to do it... what is the problem?

You do know that your commission is for the state at large, right? (i.e. not restricted to a certain county). Closings don't have to take place in the county where the property is located - and remember that your venue in the notarial certificate is the county where you are physically located at the time of the notarization, not necessarily the same county as the property.

They want it closed in their office and/or TX laws require that the closing take place in their office. Their office is in another county. Therefore, you have to travel to the other county to do the job. Am I missing something?

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/8/11 2:11pm
Msg #385539

Re: Outside my county...well...

I am not sure about this, but I once heard that title companies in Tejas are licensed county by county. They may have used a TC in your county to do the title search, however, they don't want to use that title company and pay an escrow fee to them for that, as well. So they are trying to keep their noses clean on this? I don't know.

While those details are blurry to me I am going to say that somewhere in this pile of vague trivia there is a reason.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/8/11 2:14pm
Msg #385540

BUT, you can license a tc in any county, but it becomes more expensive. I heard this in a detailed in-person conversation between me, the owner/CEO of Texas Nations Title and one of his long time escrow people.

I believe that some version of that is true because I have seen too many HUDs with another (local) title company's name on it and the Local Title co. gets a hefty fee out of it, too.

Reply by Barney on 6/8/11 3:20pm
Msg #385551

I know that the title company has certain counties that they can work in. The rules apply to the title company not the notary. The title company has to pay to do business in that county if not they can be fined,, and the fee is high.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/8/11 3:33pm
Msg #385553

I assume you must be in Travis or Williamson counties...

,,,(and before we go any further, be aware that you are poaching on my turf, and if I catch you out after dark you're going to wish you had become a Wal-Mart greeter instead of a signing agent).

This is kind of hazy, but it seems that the biggest title company in those two counties has essentially decreed that if loans are going to be closed there, the loan has to go through them. Because of that, I occasionally have had to close at a Taco Bell in Round Rock for a Travis County loan, or at a Starbucks in Austin for a Williamson County loan (tried to get the borrowers to close at The Landing Strip, a men's club near the airport [isn't that a fabulous name?], but to no avail).

Don't ask me how this company gets so much clout, because I dunno even though I realize I should long ago have made more extensive inquiries. All I know is, every now and then I have to tack on a surcharge to close outside those two counties. I don't know if other counties in the state have similar strictures.

Now, Darlene, back to you: Could you let me know the next time you're going to be coming home after 9 p.m.? Thanks.

Reply by Darlene Fontenot on 6/8/11 5:04pm
Msg #385567

Re: I assume you must be in Travis or Williamson counties...

Not anywhere near Travis or Williamson county so don't worry. And I never said that I had a problem with going to another county. I just haven't come across that situation before. When I called the borrower she said that sounded fishy to her and she wasn't going for that. She said that she was gonna call her lender to speak to them and get back to me. That was on the 3rd of June the closing is set for tomorrow at 6. So I called her again today she basically didn't even want to talk to me so I call the agency that contacted me.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.