Notary Rotary
Reassignment To Another Notary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 6/8/11 4:29pm
Msg #385561

This is just crazy. I am not one to complain. Roll with the punches. I know that I offer fantastic customer service. But what the heck? A title company called last night. Agreed to the fee and the time for a signing this evening. But they won't give the borrower's info until the HUD is approved. Fine, I will play the game. This morning I email and ask for the status of the documents. Told that they don't know yet, but will email as soon as they have something. Great. So off I go to do other work. I ended up being in an area of Oregon that did not have cell service (common in the areas I work in). Once heading back to the office, and have cell service again, I realize that I had two phone calls from title. One was giving me the borrowers info. I call the borrower, leave a message. By then I am back at the office and see I don't have the documents. So I call title to give them an update.

That is when I am told the signing was given to another notary?!? I actually had to have him repeat it. I asked why? And was told that I didn't return their calls so they assumed that I wasn't interested in doing the work. And this was for a signing at 6 pm. I called them at 2 pm. I was out of the office for a few hours. I told him that I can't sit by my computer and phone all day waiting on them and that I am very prompt in my dealing. But this is crazy!

He politely told me they will call again when something is in my area. I, also politely, told him not to bother. I had already given up a signing for this one. I personally don't get paid enough to be on company time. At least their company time. I have my own company time to deal with. If they want me to be an "employee" then I want the benefits that go along with it. I know that I have a vacation coming up soon!

Thanks for letting me rant. My husband is working in the field today and wasn't to be reached . . .

Reply by Shelly_FL on 6/8/11 4:44pm
Msg #385564

Is the moral here, get another husband !?!?? n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 6/8/11 5:09pm
Msg #385569

Hi, Tina, since I signed up for Verizon data and text messaging, I get all my messages in a timely manner. I've received VMs and by the time I call back in less than five minutes, the assignment went to someone else. Since I began texting a couple of years ago, my business has grown tremendously. It helps to answer your mobile phone as often as you can, especially if you can see who might be calling with an order.

The nature of the beast is that if you aren't able to respond at the time, you might not be the assigned notary/NSA.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/8/11 5:31pm
Msg #385572

Wait a second....she accepted the signing last night

and spoke with them this morning - just because she didn't have cell access this afternoon they yank the job? That's just not right....she'd already committed to the signing...

I'm more curious how you service Oregon from Idaho...Smile

Reply by Philip Johnson on 6/8/11 5:44pm
Msg #385573

Rather easy

They share a common border and the state of Oregon allows WA, ID, NV and CA citizens to possess Oregon seals. The State of WA also allows Idahoans and Oregonians to have WA seals as well.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/8/11 5:56pm
Msg #385574

Thank you Philip - guess I need a geography refresher...:) n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/8/11 10:46pm
Msg #385607

Re: Rather easy

<<<They share a common border and the state of Oregon allows WA, ID, NV and CA citizens to possess Oregon seals.>>>

That's nice of Oregon to allow CA Notaries to possess their seal. Unfortunately for us, CA Notaries must resign their commission before taking on another state's commission. CA will not allow us to have both a CA commission and another state's commission simultaneously......old mean SOS !

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 6/8/11 7:15pm
Msg #385582

Re: Wait a second....she accepted the signing last night

Thanks Linda. I've just never had this as an issue after all of these years as a signing agent. Blew me away. I've been told that they found someone cheaper, closer, signing canceled, etc. But to be off their radar for a couple of hours is ridiculous. Now I know why I am self employed. I don't make a good employee!

Philip is right. I live in southwestern Idaho about 30 miles from the Oregon border. Oregon allows dual commission as does Idaho. Each side of the border is very rural. Lots of sagebrush and cattle. It's a farming community. I still have to carry actual maps just because of how rural it is.

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 6/8/11 7:09pm
Msg #385579

Hi! I have the technology, I just service an area that doesn't have ANY service. As soon as I had service I listened to my messages. Then I called the borrower and left a message confirming the appt. I had the appt scheduled from the night before, but they wouldn't give the borrower's info until the HUD was ready.

I agree about not responding at the time. But this was already assigned to me. I was out of "service" for a couple of hours. Plus I had already talked to them this morning.

I'm pretty flexible, but not for this. I had already turned down another assignment due to a conflict in time and distance. I just don't like being treated like an employee. Puts my nose into a snit. If I'm an employee I want vacation time.

The title company was "nice" enough to say that they will call me again when something else in the area is available. But to be very honest, I don't want to work with someone like this. I run 6 other businesses. I train people how to set up their own businesses and network. In my 7+ years of doing this, 1,000's of signings later, I've never had this as an issue. It's a new one for me!

Thanks again for letting me vent!

Reply by LisaWI on 6/8/11 8:39pm
Msg #385596

Tina, I commend you for taking this so well. That is definitely lacking in respect for an independent contractor/business owner.

Reply by Treasure Valley Notary - Tina on 6/8/11 10:03pm
Msg #385602

It really was. I was dumfounded. And that takes a lot to get me to that point. I just figure that tomorrow I will reply to their signing order to remove me from their database. I will not loose more business due to their poor business practices. It is times like this that I am grateful for the fact that I have diversified. I actually love being a signing agent, but some of my other businesses are a lot less of a headache.

Thanks for your comments Lisa.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.