Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Recommendation for dual tray laser printer?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by davidK/CA on 6/21/11 3:34pm
Msg #387143

I need to purchase a dual tray laser printer that works with Win 7. Any recommendations?

Reply by sealed/CA on 6/21/11 3:59pm
Msg #387146

I just purchased a new Brother HL-5370DWT wireless dual tray. It is replacing my HL-5250DNT that just died. I also have an MFC-8480DNT which is a multifunction machine but is just as fast. Both printers have the dual tray and will print according to the pdf size. As you can see, I am biased toward the Brother machines. They are very inexpensive (which is why I didn't stress too much when the 5250 died on me) and they print about 32ppm. I'm so glad that I went wireless this time around. I did need Brothers technical help in setting up the wireless but they have great customer service and I was up and running in no time.
The only difference in the printing between the multifunction and the basic that I have noticed is that when the multifunction runs out of paper in one tray, it will automatically pull from the other. That can cause problems if you're printing docs. The basic one will beep and stop, awaiting new paper.
Shop prices. Amazon is great with no sales tax and free shipping. Hope this helps.

Reply by sealed/CA on 6/21/11 4:01pm
Msg #387147

I didn't mention that my computer is also running Win 7. Both of these printers are laser.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 6/21/11 5:15pm
Msg #387161

Re: did your 8480DNT come as a DNT or...

did you buy the LT5300 separately?

Reply by sealed/CA on 6/21/11 6:03pm
Msg #387170

Re: did your 8480DNT come as a DNT or...

I purchased the second tray separately.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 6/21/11 5:13pm
Msg #387160

If you decide on Brother, a good source is Staples. And buy a refurbished and save A LOT of $$$. On Staples website search for BROTHER REFURB, it will bring up current stock. They have MFC-8670DN and MFC-8680DN in stock @ $249 net. NOTE: These are not dual tray, though they do have a small 50 sheet multi-function tray that can be set to print legal or letter, and pull paper size as requested by PDF file. A full 250 sheet 2nd tray( LT-5300) can be added, but I have not seen it offered with each of these MFC's as a complete package. Maybe the other poster has found something I have not. You can call Staples and request they notify you when another model of refub is available. I have seen the HL-5370DWT (which DOES have 2- 250 sheet trays standard) on Staples refurb website for as low as $229, though it doesn't currently show up, you can call.

Other good sources for refub Brother printers are Buy.com and PCconnection.com. Over the years I have bought from all three .

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 6/21/11 6:23pm
Msg #387172

Don't have a dual tray laser printer yet, but I DO love my

Brother! cCompared to the Canon I have, it has WAAAAY fewer paper jams. When these die & I do invest in a dual tray, It WILL be a Brother! Or for that matter - my next printer will be a Brotyher - even the toner is cheaper than a Canon & Staples (and Office Depot) sells double packs of some toners at a HUGE discount!

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 6/21/11 6:23pm
Msg #387173

Don't have a dual tray laser printer yet, but I DO love my

Brother! Compared to the Canon I have, it has WAAAAY fewer paper jams. When these die & I do invest in a dual tray, It WILL be a Brother! Or for that matter - my next printer will be a Brotyher - even the toner is cheaper than a Canon & Staples (and Office Depot) sells double packs of some toners at a HUGE discount!

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 6/21/11 6:25pm
Msg #387174

Oops! Must have hit the 'post' twice - sorry! n/m

Reply by davidK/CA on 6/21/11 6:47pm
Msg #387178

Re: Oops! Must have hit the 'post' twice - sorry!

Thanks everyone. Looks like I will buy a new Brother 5250 and fix my broken 5250 as a backup.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 6/22/11 1:30am
Msg #387210

Re: Oops! Must have hit the 'post' twice - sorry!

Brother printers/fax/MFCs are known for ttheir straight through paper path design, which is the reason there are far and away fewer paper jams with a Brother. Not saying it never happens, just far fewer than others. There's always paper curl and operator error that can cause jams and those don't vary machine to machine Wink

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.