Notary Rotary
ServiceLink, faxbacks, and holding the Docs
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by Scott/NJ on 6/27/11 2:11pm
Msg #387864

Did a signing for ServiceLink/Bank of America on Friday (149 pages!). They instructed me to faxback about 50 pages (which I'm not hapy about), then hold the docs until I get confirmation before I ship them.

I called SL this morning, left voicemail. Called three different people around noon and left messages, including Vendor Management. I emailed those same three people and received no response. At 2:15 this afternoon I emailed them all again and informed them I was dropping the docs in one hour whether they contacted me or not, and if they wantd me to hold them longer than that I would have to increase my fee for this signing. I got one response and they said that I have to hold them until the Status Department tells me it's ok to ship.

I cannot stay by my fax machine all day waiting for them to say they received what they needed.

What legal issue is at stake here for me to be sitting on these documents and not returning them in a timely manner?

And the next time Service Link asks me to do one of these BoA closings they are going to have to pay me more. Much more if they want me to comply with their snail's pace of doing business.

BTW- this was assigned to another (respected) Notary who turned it down at the last mnute and I accepted it. I can see now why the previous Notary turned it down...

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/27/11 2:27pm
Msg #387866

Probably shouldn't admit to this, but I know I've done 'em right and so have dropped 'em when convenient for me.
Sometimes they don't get around to calling until it's too late for that day. Sometimes they've never called. Sometimes I've wondered what they thought when they've called me quite late in the day to OK the drop (well after last pickup in area) and they have them bright & early the next day. But, then again, I truly don't think they actually do think at all or they wouldn't be hiring notaries that need to be babysat.

Reply by Alz on 6/27/11 2:33pm
Msg #387868

Sometimes they never call. I was told to ensure docs are

out and not to wait. This was a year or so ago. Really don't do faxback too much....they are an inconvience to the process.

Reply by Scott/NJ on 6/27/11 2:34pm
Msg #387869

And if I had dropped them Saturday morning, they would be looking at the documents now instead of looking at the facsimile of the docs...

I sat on them in case they said that one or two pages didn't come through and could I resend those pages. So I didn't even seal them in the UPS envelope.

Their one hour warning has passed, so I sent them an email indicating that the docs were dropped and included the tracking number. No response.

Reply by TacomaBoy on 6/27/11 2:34pm
Msg #387870

This total B.S. (B.S. = A frequently used signing industry technical term.). If you are a signing pro, confident in your signing skills, it would be best to ship the doc's in a timely manner to avoid delays in funding. It's unfair but, the borrower, mortgage company, escrow will all blame you for funding a delay. Assuming you printed doc's from a .pdf file, you have the means to "fix" problems after the fact if need be.

Reply by Woody Williams on 6/27/11 2:38pm
Msg #387874

Just follow their instructions to the letter. I suggest that you raise your fee to to cover these inconviences.

Reply by Rich/PA on 6/27/11 2:35pm
Msg #387871

This seems to be an increasing trend. As for me, I wouldn't touch such assignments with a 10 foot cattle prod.

Reply by LeeH/IN on 6/27/11 3:36pm
Msg #387897

Recently I did a Friday Bof A closing with fax backs from SL. Without thinking about approval on the SL pkg, I picked up both pkgs to drop at UPS Store before deadline, then on to another appointment. Monday morning I rec'd a call from SL because I dropped the pkg without approval. I was relieved there was no problem with the signing. I was told B of A requires the fax/approval but it has been posted here that is not the case.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/27/11 4:38pm
Msg #387922

ServiceLink faxbacks are an annoying fact of life. I include that in my base fee with them, assuming that I'll have to fax 50+ pages back, especially for same day funding loans. It's no big deal for me... I pop them on my Fujitsu ScanSnap and let 'em go. It becomes a PDF file that I then send via email to my fax service (MetroFax).

I refuse to babysit a fax machine. My ScanSnap cost me a little, but it was one of the best investments in my business I've ever made.

Reply by SouthernOK on 6/27/11 5:49pm
Msg #387934

Anytime this happens I clearly state the FedEx/UPS times

Anytime this happens I clearly state the pick-up times for FedEx or UPS here in my town. This way if they call late and give the OK to ship, it's no surprise as to when the package starts the journey.

I include this information when I confirm a job so that they know well in advance.

I've seen other people on this site have a drop fee, maybe you should add this to jobs in where you'll need to hold docs for a later shipment date?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.