Notary Discussion History

WTH? We should be like Dubai? [Online Notarizations]
Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by BrendaTx on 6/19/11 9:01am
Msg #386861

WTH? We should be like Dubai? [Online Notarizations]

Dubai’s Movement to Online Notarizations Continues

by ADMIN on MAY 31, 2011 · NO COMMENTS
Dubai is seeing tremendous success with moving its notarization solutions completely online and remote. They are the first nation to actively push the change and other countries are taking notice.

[snip, and I *love* the next part....]

No surprises here, it will likely take a kick in the pants from governments and businesses to help American’s adopt online notary services in lieu of less secure pen-and-ink notarization.

======================================================

Help me understand and break this down: "No surprises here, it will likely take a kick in the pants from governments and businesses to help American’s adopt online notary services in lieu of less secure pen-and-ink notarization."

Who will kick whose pants?!!?

Will governments and businesses kick the pants of Americans? Can they do that?

Why would governments that have made the laws kick the pants of its constituents and make them break the law so that said constituents and notaries will illegally notarize through a webcam?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/19/11 9:15am
Msg #386862

Notary Now blog...guess that says it all, huh?..LOL n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/19/11 9:39am
Msg #386865

No disrespect intended, but...

I believe that it goes to show that there is no clear understanding of notary law in that crew.

Just because it "sounds" good, does NOT mean it is legal.

(1) The "we've got 'em on video" aspect of their security measures against fraud doesn't ring the same bell with them as it does with a notary.

Criminals don't care if they are videoed. When an improperly identified criminal sits down for the notarization and gets his picture taken, he can still sign a document and get up to go do as he pleases. The video is nothing to him, he's got the paper and can go finish the transaction. (Or, her...just using 'him' to make it easier on me.)

(2) Connection is secure!! Doesn't matter, still not addressing the problem of physical presence.

(3) I wonder if they did not realize that electronic notarizations are only good if they remain in electronic format and if the intended recipient will accept electronic format. I believe it is possible that this is a brick wall that was not previously considered before the roll out.

I have taken minor children to vacation in Mexico. They were my step sons. Neither of their parents went. I had notarized statements to get out of the country and birth certificates, etc. to prove that their parents signed off on it. My natural son's father had to also sign off.

If I had two statements electronically notarized by a minor step child's mother and father that allows me to take him out of the country, the Customs folks will look at that and say, "That's not in the format it must be in. This is a copy. We want to see ink. Sorry. No trip for you and the step kid."

I don't foresee Customs letting me plug in a thumb drive to their computers to view the electronic format and to be able to determine whether or not the electronic seal has been broken.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/20/11 1:32pm
Msg #386937

Disagree, Brenda...

This crew understands just fine... just doesn't care that's it's illegal. Got their fingers in their ears and singing lalalalala. No skin off their nose if someone is gullible enough to do this or be the notary for this. They've made their money.
This is just a lot like many other internet scams out there trolling for volunteer victims.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/19/11 9:15am
Msg #386863

Sigh~~

Problem is the more a wrong idea is repeated, the more 'acceptable' it gets. (Reference Hugh's unPC comments in JP.... where everyone agrees...yet those unPC ideas do not seem to be where the country is at.) Do wish somebody would/could shut NN down now.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/19/11 10:45am
Msg #386866

Can't you just see this argument that some people will fall for........"We won't be able to 'do a notary' on the moon because it will be too expensive to appear in person." Or maybe it's an attempt to cover up the reasons for the mortgage meltdowns.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/19/11 7:43pm
Msg #386886

Ok, so why doesn't Notary Now move to Dubai? LOL n/m

Reply by Les_CO on 6/22/11 12:22pm
Msg #387241

Re: Ok, so why doesn't Notary Now move to Dubai? LOL

Now there's a thought! A perfect place to conduct international online notarizations. Only minor proplems, you must stop work when it's over 120 dedrees, and it's like living inside a dirty vaccume cleaner bag that needs changing....Oh and you better know someone to be able to get your permits. BTDT JMO

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.