Notary Discussion History

ZIP Code Radius Finder and Search:
Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by Belinda/CA on 6/4/11 11:08am
Msg #385166

http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code-radius-finder.asp

This site only goes up to 30 miles but you have the option of view/printing them in table form or a radius map.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/4/11 11:32am
Msg #385169

Thanks Belinda....I took it one step further and download the app to my IPHONE!

Reply by Alz on 6/4/11 11:52am
Msg #385170

I really like this application and use it often. When location are over 30 miles, I tend to use the zip to zip feature.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/4/11 4:16pm
Msg #385182

The big downside to zip code radius searches is that they aren't terribly accurate. These searches are based on the geographic center of a zip code... and from personal experience, I can tell you that might mean as much as 10-20 miles away from any populated areas. ACtual distances from point a to B may vary as much as 30 miles or more either way. I've never like zip code searches because they are terribly misleading.

Before I moved to where I am now, people who lived less than a mile away (but in another zip code) would see think that I was 25 miles away because of the geographic center issue.

This isn't as much of a problem in highly populated areas where zips codes change every few blocks.... but for those of us in more rural/country areas? It's more a headache than anything else.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/4/11 4:20pm
Msg #385185

"This isn't as much of a problem in highly populated areas where zips codes change every few blocks.... but for those of us in more rural/country areas? It's more a headache than anything else."

So true, Marian - I'm actually 10 miles from where my zip starts - but I can't convince companies that call why they need to ADD mileage to the job. It get really old and annoying after a while.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/4/11 7:15pm
Msg #385193

While I still like this app on my iphone I agree it is very in accurate for "area codes"also. I did a search of my own area code (510) and it listed 69 cities being served, one of them being Los Angeles which is 400 miles away. Oh well!

Reply by John/CT on 6/5/11 2:18pm
Msg #385219

www.zip-codes.com doesn't work for me ....

It shows 18.17 miles from my ZIP Code to 06065, which I know from experience is seriously understated. MapQuest shows it to be 26.39 miles.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.