Notary Rotary
computer tech help please
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by terrie/IN on 6/6/11 7:41am
Msg #385265

I just can't figure out how my printer is not working it was working before now it won't print. I have checked all the cables and they all seem to be ok. I have a hp 4050t hooked up to my laptop through a parallel adapter with usb.

Does anyone know what could be the problem. I checked control panel and it says printer is ready and the printer says ready. It is so frustrating. It worked before.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/6/11 7:58am
Msg #385266

Reboot. I find that fixes 99% of these kinds of problems. If that doesn't work--I'm done.

Reply by terrie/IN on 6/6/11 8:11am
Msg #385267

tried that

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/6/11 8:23am
Msg #385268

Sounds silly...but...

Paper jam? Or toner out?? Have you had any power surges that would have fried a board or two inside the printer (happened to me)..

Just some thoughts.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 6/6/11 8:29am
Msg #385269

What are you trying to print? PDF file, something from a browser? Which browser? Windows? What version? Browser or printer in OFFLINE mode? If you know how, if simple fixes don't seem to work, you might try to UNINSTALL printer and reinstall. Do you have original disk? If not, you should be able to get files from HP.com for your printer. I'm sure someone else with HP printer experience will pop up soon. Good luck!

Reply by jba/fl on 6/6/11 9:14am
Msg #385270

I don't know that I am adding anything helpful, only something worth a try perhaps. Trying printing a totally different item....a puzzle, an email, anything different from what you are asking.

When you rebooted, do you do a complete shutdown, not just a reboot? Try that also - totally off, you walk away and get a cup of coffee and then return for fresh start.

Good luck - I totally understand your frustration. I am out of options at this point since the computer is telling you all is well. We know differently, but....

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/6/11 10:30am
Msg #385273

Ensure your printer is ready. Then go to the printer settings in your computer control panel (using "classic settings" for viewing the window makes it easier to find you installed printers). Select your printer and right click on properties. That will bring up a new window. Near the bottom, it has a box "print test page". It should give you a message that it has printed a page and then offers solutions if it did not.

Did you try this? Good luck.

Reply by Vince/KS on 6/6/11 10:32am
Msg #385274

Forgot to add the obvious statement that you need to left click on the box that says "print test page."

Reply by HisHughness on 6/6/11 11:28am
Msg #385281

As Vince says, go to the control panel and make sure the printer has not been set on "Pause." Happened to me once. Cost me a whole morning, but improved my language skills. I now can use 4-letter words I didn't even know existed before.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 6/6/11 10:57am
Msg #385278

Hi Terrie,

Check to see if the HP is still set as the "default" printer. You may have accidentally changed the default to your Brothers printer and if that machine is shut off it you will get the condition you described.

Reply by Dwight/KY on 6/6/11 11:13am
Msg #385279

You need to check the IP address that is listed on the test page. Compare that address with
the address that you will find under the printer info on the computer printer properties.

Reply by nunu on 6/6/11 11:47am
Msg #385286

whenever i have printer issues and nothing has worked, i restore my computer to yesterdays date or the day before and it almost always works.

Reply by topflyt on 6/6/11 2:57pm
Msg #385308

You may have already tried this: disconnect all plugs for 5 min. then go back and individually replug in...worked for mr one time.

Reply by jojo_MN on 6/6/11 7:03pm
Msg #385326

Hi Terrie, don't know if you have the printer working, or if this might be the problem.

I used to use an HP as my main printer and I had a similar problem. After stressing all day, it turned out that there is a little check box that states: print to file. Somehow it got checked so the documents wouldn't print. It was a very simple fix (uncheck the box) and I felt totally "blonde".

Reply by terrie/IN on 6/6/11 9:45pm
Msg #385338

thanks everyone i did try alot of this stuff and it did not work. I have to take a break from this tomorrow i will go over all the suggestions again.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.