Notary Rotary
hospitals
Notary Discussion History

hospitals
Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 6/17/11 11:55am
Msg #386628

hospitals

I am looking into doing general notary work such as medical directives and power of attorney/living wills.
The local hospital issues these documents to patients and they do not require a notary. They recommend that they be witnessed but it is not required.
I would like to know what everyones thoughts are regarding this procedure. The hospital must have had their attorneys approve this.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/17/11 11:58am
Msg #386629

What's to say Pat? If your state does not require

that medical directives, powers of attorney or wills be notarized, then it is what it is...

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/17/11 12:13pm
Msg #386632

I do these about 4 - 5 times a week. Here the hospital issued medical directives state "either or" that is two witnesses or a notary. Sometimes the patients get's the forms on-line and in that case it's up to them. Wills are a no. no here but they can be done.
POA must be extremely careful, no IV drops for example without knowing what's in them.

Reply by pat/WA on 6/17/11 12:18pm
Msg #386637

Our hospital issues patient medical directives and power of attorney/living wills that recommend two witnesses but it is not required.
No mention of having notary notarize their signatues.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/17/11 12:20pm
Msg #386639

I go to hospitals all the time. In California, the POA for healthcare, as James said, requires *either* a notary or two witnesses.

I also get called there a LOT to notarize letters to the CHP to release towed vehicles to family members after an accident.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 6/17/11 12:32pm
Msg #386646

I have a living will no witness or notarizing required. You can't change procedure. It's up to the person signing if they wish to add a witness/notary ack.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.