Notary Rotary
last minute closings
Notary Discussion History

last minute closings
Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by frances arnone on 6/29/11 7:40am
Msg #388109

last minute closings

What is the average additional fee to charge for those last minute closings.

Reply by Jack/AL on 6/29/11 7:42am
Msg #388110

I don't know that there is one, or how to determine such. If the job fits into my schedule, I'm happy to get it and ask for my normal fee.

Reply by Calnotary on 6/29/11 3:59pm
Msg #388151

Last minute call from Pacific Documents LA...

It was in the next county if I remember correctly and it was in less than one hour with 40 minutes of travel, How much are you paying for this? I was hoping like 25 or more dollars because of this real last minute signing.

She said 60.00 with edocs. I told her really, are you serious? Yeap, Sorry I can't do it, click. We were to far apart to be able to reach a price in the middle. I was hoping about the double she was offering.

These people does not deserve to spend one single more minute of my cell minutes.

Reply by Don Tyree on 6/29/11 8:38am
Msg #388115

I just charge my standard fee anytime as long as I'm available to do the signing. I have been offered more by companies for last minute closings and have accepted it. I'm just happy to be able to stay busy if possible!! Smile

Reply by laurel/nc on 6/29/11 8:55am
Msg #388118

I'm the same way, if I can do it and they meet my normal fee, then that's great. I too, when turning down one, because of time, have been offered more if I can fit it into my schedule and I've taken it. One offer, years ago, doubled my fee. Those were the good old days.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 6/29/11 8:53am
Msg #388117

If they call the same day but with at least 6 hours advance notice, I charge $25 more; if they call with less notice than that, I charge $50 extra. If they call with no notice, I double my fee.

As one veteran signing agent told me when I was new at this, you can't jump on an airplane at the last minute and expect to get the best rate. You have to plan in advance to keep your airfare at a minimum. Why should we give our normal rate for signings that give us little-to-no notice? We shouldn't...but some do. I believe this gives companies the go-ahead to keep treating us like that. If they always had to pay more for their lack of planning, you know they'd be planning ahead.

So, my pantyhose fee for companies that can't plan ahead is dependent upon how fast and how high they want me to jump. Being 'On Call' comes at a price.

Reply by Sandra Clark on 6/29/11 10:05am
Msg #388123

Agree with Jack & Don. If it fits in my schedule, regular fee applies. Interestingly enough, a couple of last minute signings that have helped companies I haven't worked with before have resulted in long term relationships and more business in the long run.

Reply by Grammyzoom on 6/29/11 11:56am
Msg #388126

We do not charge any extra for those last minute signings. If it is for a long time customer, they will remain one. If it is for a new customer, you helped them out in a pinch and you may have just added a new and loyal customer to your list. It is not always about the money.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 6/29/11 12:10pm
Msg #388130

So true, Grammy.

Smile

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 6/29/11 12:10pm
Msg #388131

Ok - Carol... n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 6/29/11 12:12pm
Msg #388132

Good reply, Carol. It's nice to see you here again. :-)

Also, IMO charging extra fees won't fly these days. There are those who would be glad for any call for biz, last minute or not. LOL

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/29/11 4:58pm
Msg #388157

I'm pretty expesnive for this...

The nature of my schedule is such that I'm not fond of taking last-minute loan appointments... meaning full-loan appointments. Simple loan mods or general notary work don't apply here because those appointments are usually quick and I can squeeze those in. Anything that involves printing more than 20 pages becomes an issue.

For same day loan signings, I add $25-$75 depending on the amount of time or distance, and the effort involved in rearranging my schedule. Most services are aware of this with me, and usual companies know to call me at least a day in advance to be sure that I'm free.

I also charge a $50 late fee if the documents do not get to me 4 hours prior to the appointment. These fees are in my confirmations and posted on my website... I'd rather they know me fees before they call me. I find that it helps... the low ballers tend to see my site and just move on knowing I won't take their jobs.

Generally, I have a 4-hour drop dead time... though I'm thinking of increasing it to 5 or 6 because I've been getting requests for work that require much longer driving distances. While I have a portable printer... out here in the desert wireless signals aren't always reliable for downloads, and the heat... well.... I live not far from Death Valley.... I don't like to carry electronics in my car in the summer if I don't have to.

Every business is different and you have to figure the fees that work for YOU and your situation. It involves a lot of research, especially of your local competition and area.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/30/11 1:35am
Msg #388183

Re: I'm pretty expesnive for this...

"Every business is different and you have to figure the fees that work for YOU and your situation. It involves a lot of research, especially of your local competition and area."

This pretty much sums it up, imo. In some areas, they would have no trouble just going to the next name of many on their list. I don't charge extra, but I think the key is to have your fees be decent enough to begin with. The less you're willing to work for, the more every little issue becomes a factor. If you've set a respectable fee schedule (which will also vary by circumstance), you'll have wiggle room to allow for more variables that come up. The issue is then whether or not you're able to fill your calendar enough to be able to afford to turn down last minute work, what your financial situation is, etc., etc. If someone is paying me a decent fee, I'm willing to jump through a few hoops for them - especially in this market!

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/30/11 7:56am
Msg #388191

Re: I'm pretty expesnive for this...

Both of you are so correct, it's up to the individual. I don't charge extra because I just don't take last minute jobs. I tell them to just call the next person on the list, I'm not a fireman. If I get the Docs in adequate time, there will be no problems, I guarantee.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.