Notary Rotary
overseas buyer cannot find notary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by Margaret Bromley on 6/11/11 3:52pm
Msg #385951

I have 2 clients from Singaporewho are buying a home in FL. The bank let us know friday night which is already their weekend that the documents that they need to sign to close this Monday need to be notarized. The husband is leaving on a trip Monday (our Sunday) and would have to wait until he is back and maybe then go to a lawyer. Anyone have any ideas? He is going to have a bank officer witness and sign it (no stamp/chop) but we are not sure that the bank will accept it.

Does anyone have any idea how I could do it here?

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/11/11 3:57pm
Msg #385953

Are you serious?

NO, there is no way you can do it here.

Your authority as a Florida notary ends when you leave the State of Florida. Unless the client can personally appear before you, within the geographical boundaries of the State of Florida, you can not notarize his signature.

This is notary 101.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/11/11 5:05pm
Msg #385958

Ditto

Please familiarize yourself with notary laws - especially the personal appearance requirement.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/11/11 4:00pm
Msg #385954

Okay...state of confusion again...

"He is going to have a bank officer witness and sign it (no stamp/chop)"

What does that mean? No stamp/chop??

Where are your buyers? Where is the closing scheduled to take place and were they going to be present?

Reply by Les_CO on 6/11/11 8:33pm
Msg #385967

I believe that In Singapore, all Notaries Public must be lawyers. Most of their law came from the Brits. (Just as red seal Notaries Public in Australia are lawyers, I think Canada is the same)That said, there is no shortage of notaries/lawyers in Singapore, your friends banker can arrange it easily.
Many folks of Chinese decent use a “chop” as their official signature.
JMO

Reply by Les_CO on 6/11/11 8:45pm
Msg #385972

to clarify chop

Let me clarify..the “chop” is not a pork chop…it is a carved stamp/seal meant to used with ink or wax as one’s official signature.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/11/11 9:42pm
Msg #385975

Thank you Les...:) n/m

Reply by Les_CO on 6/12/11 12:57am
Msg #385979

Re: Thank you Les...:)

I just happen to have a “chop” kit. Actually from Singapore, It contains a piece of rock (stamp) (jade to those accustomed to the best) a hand carved rendering of my name/signature, an ink well, writing brushes (for those skilled in calligraphy) sealing wax, and a couple of vessels to keep and store ink. Red is the favorite. If I knew how to post pictures I’d post one. Every knowledgeable notary should have a “chop” kit, if just for fun. JMO

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/12/11 8:09am
Msg #385988

Well, my knowledge of Singapore is limited to

my husband's old Navy yarns (but that a WHOLE other forum..LOL)

I have some jade but no chop...Smile I'd love to see that..

Reply by jba/fl on 6/12/11 8:25am
Msg #385989

Fancy up your certificates ~

this will tell you quite a bit about them:
http://www.orientalartsupply.com/products/seals.cfm

and here you can collect/buy a whole range of beautiful chops:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=chinese+chop+seal

Fancy up your certificates ~

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/12/11 9:40am
Msg #385995

Thanks Jules...very interesting...

But I'm gonna K.I.S.S. - start fiddling around with seal requirements and embellishments and recorders (and TC's/lenders) will start rejecting them and kicking them back...and before anyone thinks they can't, yes they can - if it's not required in your state I think they'd have every right to kick it back....I don't wish to test the theory.

Might be nice on wedding certificates though...those complimentary ones...

JMO

Reply by jba/fl on 6/12/11 9:47am
Msg #385996

Something for Robert then? - sure

He could use the wax, run a ribbon through it, chop! and present the real deal.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 6/12/11 4:34pm
Msg #386012

You can see sample chops at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_%28East_Asia%29

I would not be that outlandish, but I have considered purchasing a wax seal. There are people that make them on eBay for around $50. They also make fake wax that you can apply with a hot glue gun. But, I don't have a hot glue gun (not the arts-and-crafts kinda guy), and all that stuff adds up. Not worth it for the once in a blue moon I would get to use it, if ever.

I provide couples with a birth certificate-sized "Certificate of Marriage" that looks similar to the fancy birth certificates you get from a hospital that has a baby's footprints on it. I also provide the couple with a wallet-sized marriage certification card. Both have my embosser; the full size certificate has it on a silver embossed seal. I've recently received confirmation from Social Security that the marriage certificate I provide to couples is acceptable, legal proof of a marriage for purposes of changing your name in Social Security records.

As for the ribbon, I have had the opportunity to do that a few times. I've used blue ribbon with a red foil seal, and I've used burgundy ribbon with a gold foil seal. I wish I had even more opportunities to do that kind of thing. It makes me feel very "notarial" Smile

Reply by dickb/wi on 6/12/11 3:39pm
Msg #386010

i may be late on this and i may have the same answer that

others have given----don't know as i have not read all of the posts....have your people go to the us embassy and get their docs stamped.....the bank will accept that [at least they should]

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.