Notary Rotary
Brother Printer techies, I need help!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by NJDiva on 1/31/12 1:52pm
Msg #410379

I have an HL5340D. I just got the 2nd tray LT5300. I can't for the life of me get it to sync with my printer.

I was very graciously given the below suggestions:

*First go to "control panel", then click on "printers".
*Right click on your printer icon, then choose "properties".
*All the way to the top right, you will see an "accessories" tab. Go there.
*Provided the tray is installed correctly so it can activate the sensors, you sill see available options box. click on the tray, then "add". Click on "apply" before going to the next step.
*Next you will need to assign paper size to the trays of your printer.
*Below you will see the trays listed, then below that you will see the paper size. Choose the tray, then choose the paper size you want to assign to it. Default source should be "auto select". When you are done with one tray, be sure to push "update" and "apply" before going to the next tray.

I had done all of those verbatim before I was given these suggestions which is why I'm in search of other suggestions.

One thing I did note, though, is that the box that gave options to add a 2nd and third tray did not have the name of the tray, LT5300.

Since I did this for my 8220 and had no problems connecting it, I'm wondering why am I having these issues....

uuuuugh, please help!

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/31/12 2:14pm
Msg #410383

Did you hard reboot the printer and computer? By hard reboot, I mean unplugging from the wall for a minute or two in addition to turning off

I assume it's connected with a usb cord. Try a different cord.

I'll rack my brain to see if I can think of something else.

That's all I got right now.. probably one of those "you have to be there" kind of things.

Reply by NJDiva on 1/31/12 2:18pm
Msg #410386

Nope, haven't tried to rebooting...will give it a shot. n/m

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/31/12 2:19pm
Msg #410387

Another thought ..

You said "One thing I did note, though, is that the box that gave options to add a 2nd and third tray did not have the name of the tray, LT5300."

It didn't occur to me last post, but for some reason, the system is not recognizing the tray which may mean a sensor or small plastic switch is not working properly. Or it just could be things need to be re-booted (hard style).

I don't know if you can take the printer somewhere, take off the trays, take out the drum and toner and blow it out with compressed air, but that may help. As I noted in another thread, there is a certain amount of VOO-DOO at work in a computer.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/31/12 2:22pm
Msg #410389

Re: Another thought ..

See Msg #410370

Reply by Frenchie/TN on 1/31/12 3:13pm
Msg #410406

Re: Another thought ..

Years ago, when I added a tray to my Brother it was defective and I had to get another one. If you "added" the tray, you should see it in the picture when you go to the options to select paper size. If you don't see it in the picture, the computer has not recognized it. Make sure printer is sitting properly on extra tray and that you have removed all plastic films and thingamagigs. Call Brother support if all else fails. I have always been satisfied with their help.

Reply by Michael Sexton on 1/31/12 4:32pm
Msg #410432

Re: Brother Printer not sure if this helps

I have an HP dual tray and had to have HP support help me set it up. But what I did find out, which may help you, is that tray #1 is the hand fed tray (in the back). Tray #2 is letter and tray #3 is legal. Good luck

Reply by jnew on 1/31/12 4:46pm
Msg #410433

I think you did it right. Call Brother help line and see if there is a problem with your PC recognizing new tray, as previously stated. Also make sure that the tray is fitting correctly with printer. I can't think of anything else.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/31/12 7:17pm
Msg #410450

"One thing I did note, though, is that the box that gave options to add a 2nd and third tray did not have the name of the tray, LT5300"

This may be a stupid question, but have you verified compatibility with the printer? If there were options to add a 2nd or 3rd tray, and those trays were identified but didn't include the tray you just bought, it's possible that either a) the tray you're trying to add is not compatible with that printer, or b) you need to update the printer driver.

Reply by NJDiva on 1/31/12 10:42pm
Msg #410466

OMG! I figured it out! But it doesn't look good...

When adding the additional tray (which, yes Mike it's the one that's compatible...tee hee...valid suggestion...but I certainly appreciate it...all were welcome for sure), there is a USB looking kinda thingy that sticks up and is supposed to connect to the printer.

The main printer doesn't have the USB thingy for the extra tray USB thingy to go into. The hole is there but no thingy. How do I get one of those thingy's? Can I? Can this printer be modified do ya think?

Yikes this sounds rather, well, um, er, echem saucy, but I swear its the only verbiage I know to use.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT (Oh yes, I'm yelling gleefully!)

Reply by HisHughness on 1/31/12 10:57pm
Msg #410468

Re: OMG! I figured it out! But it doesn't look good...

***Yikes this sounds rather, well, um, er, echem saucy, but I swear its the only verbiage I know to use.***

Just a minute, Cheryl. Lemme get the strawberry-flavored oil, and some fresh batteries...Okay, go right ahead, Honey. You were doing great. I don't even think we'll need the movie.

Reply by NJDiva on 1/31/12 11:13pm
Msg #410469

Oh GREAT! Thanks for THAT vision HUGH! lol ewwww

rofl!! I thought you were getting fresh STRAWBERRIES!!!...my mouth started to water...and then I almost threw up in my mouth...lol

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/31/12 11:35pm
Msg #410470

Re: OMG! I figured it out! But it doesn't look good...

Cheryl,

You may need a cord that has a usb on one end and a ethernet plug on the other.

Reply by Larry/IL on 2/1/12 7:47am
Msg #410477

Re: OMG! read message Msg #409195, Brother Printer Info post n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.