Notary Rotary
Cell Phone usage while driving
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Linda Juenger on 1/3/12 11:23am
Msg #408103

New laws are going into effect regarding cell phone usage while driving in a lot of states and some nationwide. For us, if we don't answer our phones, we don't work. I'm going to take the time this month to contact my best clients and ask them to PLEASE leave a voicemail if I don't answer and PLEASE give me a few minutes to call you back. PLEASE give us that courtesy for the safety of us all.
Thoughts??

Reply by shawna on 1/3/12 11:35am
Msg #408105

I use a bluetooth device or hands free device to answer calls while driving. It works great and I went with a high end bluetooth and tested its performance with my family. I had them call when my radio was blasted, windows down, etc... Love it and nobody can hear the background noises.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/3/12 11:39am
Msg #408106

None of the new laws in the states ban cell phone use completely, do they? They just require "hands free". I have not done a complete search, but I have not seen any. Correct me if I missed something.

If you don't have a "sync" feature on your car, there are a lot of brands of blue tooth speaker phones that you can buy for less than 50 bucks, set your phone to "auto answer" and you can receive a phone call and complete it without taking your hands off the wheel.

Regardless of whether you have to use a hands free or can still put the device to our ear in your car, you should pull over to complete the call if possible, because you are probably going to want to write something down after the call, and there never was a time when writing while driving was a good idea.

My personal opinion is that even if you put such a message begging SS and TCs to leave a message, fact is, unless you have an ongoing business relationship, they will just go to the next person on their list if there is no live person to talk to.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 1/3/12 1:02pm
Msg #408122

Re: Cell Phone usage while driving/Correct Glenn hands free" n/m

Reply by John Tennant on 1/3/12 11:45am
Msg #408107

I have hearing aids and wear a bluetooth "streamer". It is on auto answer and sends the calls directly into the aids. Hands off, no background noise, etc. I also have a voice activated tape recorder in my shirt pocket and I can repeat the callers info into the recorder for future reference.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/3/12 2:43pm
Msg #408135

There's an app for that??

I was just browsing the Android market, and there are several apps that claim to be able to record calls on phones that have a capability of working that way. I haven't tried them out yet, but perhaps if one has a phone that one of these apps will work on while still working in hands free mode, it may be a solution for some instead of trying to write down info .... Haven't checked the iPhone app store yet. I will when my wife gets home from work. ... Something people may want to look at .

But I'll still pull over ......

Reply by 101livescan on 1/3/12 11:45am
Msg #408108

In CA, not just cell phone usage, but ANY DISTRACTED DRIVING PRACTICES, including eating, drinking, shaving, reading material, brushing your teeth, applying makeup, combing your hair, swatting the kids, diving for something that fell to the passenger floor, holding pets in your laps, all are considered distracting driving practices, and if you are observed not driving well, the law enforcement agencies will issue citations.

Well, best practice is to pay attention and not be distracted...I'm sure there will be less accidents out there if people will refrain from multitasking behind the wheel. We had several fatalities here on the central coast this season. A few involved DUI offenders, but most were distracted, single car incidents.

BE SAFE OUT THERE EVERYONE!

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/3/12 12:02pm
Msg #408112

Our state is a great example of how passing more laws doesn't solve anything. The "distracted driving" law has been on the books since 1952. Our vehicle code is not that little booklet you read for your driving test. I have a full copy on my desk as I write this. The book is 1,766 pages thick.

There aren't enough cops to effectively enforce these laws. People know that and continue on knowing the odds are they aren't going to get caught unless they cause an accident and then those laws are used to assign blame after the accident. You can't legislate common sense.

My advice, even with a hands free, take the call if you must, but pull over if you can to complete it.

Happy and Safe New Year, everyone.

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/3/12 12:35pm
Msg #408117

It's been against the law in California for some time now.

I thought about buying a bluetooth device, but I just pull over when my phone rings. If I don't pull over before they hang up, at least I can call back within a minute or two.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/3/12 9:18pm
Msg #408163

"There aren't enough cops to effectively enforce these laws."

Absolutely - these laws are almost impossible to enforce, and are often just ignored. It will take some sort of horrific accident before people realize that distracted driving is not a good idea.

Worst case I've seen - I'm sitting in heavy rush hour morning traffic and glance across at the car next to me - the driver is reading the newspaper....

Reply by HisHughness on 1/3/12 9:41pm
Msg #408165

***I'm sitting in heavy rush hour morning traffic and glance across at the car next to me - the driver is reading the newspaper....***

Wow! That's insane. Reading the newspaper at the wheel? I'd never do that; the newspaper is just w-a-y too unwieldy. I never read anything bigger than a Time Magazine, except maybe our tabloid Sunday comics insert.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/3/12 11:56pm
Msg #408167

I have seen them eating cereal out of a bowl while they are driving....on the expressway no less.

Reply by bagger on 1/4/12 7:58am
Msg #408175

Worst I ever saw was a woman knitting while driving.
Honest!

Reply by MW/VA on 1/3/12 12:52pm
Msg #408121

I think contacting the clients is a good idea. The safety of all of us is at stake with so many distractions. There's been rumor that even hand-free devices will not be allowed. I've gotten pulled into the tech distractions myself, and try to remember the vivid message that the movie "Seven Pounds" instilled. For those of you who didn't see it, Will Smith was distracted for a moment to respond to his Blackberry, and ended up killing 7 people, including his wife. The remainder of the story is about he goes about his redemption from something he couldn't live with.
It only takes an instant for lives to change.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/3/12 5:24pm
Msg #408145

Just get a Bluetooth speaker - I've got one that clips to the visor, and I can answer a call just by pushing a button. I got it when I lived in NY, where hands-free has been required for several years. It's not required here in TX, but I still use it because I'm so used to doing it that way. I don't make phone calls when I'm in my car - I think it's a distraction - but I use the speaker to answer calls on occasion.

Reply by RickG/CA on 1/4/12 12:46pm
Msg #408189

for those who would rather not have a a bluetooth device attached to you ear, look at the visor attachments such as this

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387163,00.asp

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 1/4/12 4:55pm
Msg #408213

IL passing on the vote to ban all electronic devices law...

...we can't use our cell phones or text while driving - okay. I mean some folks can barely chew gum and walk at the same time, but to totally ban the use of all electronic devices while in the car is somewhat unrealistic - what would we do without their precious GPS!

Oh well, guess them folks in Springfield want us to back to reading large maps while driving!?

Reply by VT_Syrup on 1/4/12 5:26pm
Msg #408217

Re: IL passing on the vote to ban all electronic devices law...

Can you post a link to the text of the bill? It would be interesting if the bill also prohibits police officers from using their 2-way radios while driving, but I'll bet they get preferential treatment.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.