Notary Rotary
Certified Check
Notary Discussion History

Certified Check
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 1/10/12 3:38pm
Msg #408643

Certified Check

A title company has informed me that a certified check was missing from the documents. I know I included it and have no explanation as to what happened to it.
They say it will take 90 days to issue and stop payment and reissue the check.
What do you do to make sure this doesn't happen (such as stapling the check to the HUD)?

Reply by Alz on 1/10/12 3:46pm
Msg #408645

This happened to me once several years ago. As it happens,

the cashier check found a day later on the floor of the person who opened the package. I now staple the check to the the HUD.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 1/10/12 3:53pm
Msg #408646

I always staple the check, always.

Reply by TinaCA on 1/10/12 4:13pm
Msg #408649

I always staple the check to the HUD.

Reply by Jack/AL on 1/10/12 4:21pm
Msg #408650

I put the check into a 4" by 9.5" envelope (forgot whether that is a #9 or #10). I seal the envelope and sign my name along the edge where the flap meets the back of the envelope. On both sides of the envelope, I write "CONTAINS FUNDS" a few times and draw several dollar signs, $$$$$$$$. Around the envelope, I fold a large bright pink sticky note, and draw the dollar signs on it. The envelope is then paper clipped to several pages at the top of the stack of documents, usually the HUD-1, note, and mortgage. No matter which hand someone uses when removing the documents, either a thumb or at least some of the remaining four fingers will be touching the envelope. Got a call once in 2011, about the check not being found with the documents. I explained my process and asked for a return call if the check was not found within one hour. There was no return call.

Reply by Patti Corcoran on 1/10/12 5:05pm
Msg #408653

I always use a paper clip, attached to the HUD

Reply by PegiT_MN on 1/10/12 5:26pm
Msg #408655

I definitely use a staple to attach my certified funds to the HUD.

Reply by OR on 1/10/12 5:27pm
Msg #408656

Like a lot of you have said I too staple the Check to the HUC. I staple it to the signature page and make a photo copy for the borrowers. I know a lot of you don't staple. Here is my reason... The holes in the paper is proof something was there. I staple it to the signature page because that is the most important page to me (signature of the borrower) The photo cope of the check, staple and the signature is a recipt that they gave me the Check and what we did with it at the table. I think I got that from Mike/NY . Hey what happened to him?

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/10/12 6:10pm
Msg #408659

Mike/NY is now MikeC/TX ;) He is still around. n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 1/10/12 9:52pm
Msg #408692

Glad that you asked

***I think I got that from Mike/NY . Hey what happened to him?***

Though it was late in life, Mike/NY has now gotten religion and is Mike/TX. Regrettably, Mike was not prepared to let go fully of his past life, and thus is now Mike/TX. That is sort of like being an Episcopalian: You can call yourself a Texan, but everybody knows you were just sprinkled with crude oil, not baptised in the horse trough like any good fundamentalist Texan. If Mike had gone the horse trough route, he'd now be known as Mike/AustinTX. That's where True Believers in Texas are found.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 1/11/12 4:59pm
Msg #408767

Re: Glad that you asked

I recently saw a bumper sticker that said, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

Reply by FGX/NJ on 1/10/12 5:57pm
Msg #408657

I staple it to HUD and seal it in the return envelope in the presence of the borrower(s).

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/10/12 6:44pm
Msg #408663

Pat,

I always staple the check to the hud1.

If you are sure you included the check, tell them they lost it not you.

Those T.C. are always looking for a way to blame the notary.

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/10/12 6:51pm
Msg #408665

I had a SS call me and tell me that the DOT was not in the package.

I told them the DOT was in the package and if they don't have it they lost it. If you would like me to execute another there will be an additional charge.

I was sure it was in there , the real estate agent was with the borrowers at the signing and saw me execute it and put it in the envelope.

After my stance on the subject they had no problem paying me my additional fee.

Just make sure you are right.

Reply by nunu on 1/10/12 7:13pm
Msg #408679

i put the funds in a bright pink envelope with $$$, borrowers name, and amount of check enclosed and I staple to the HUD.

Reply by dickb/wi on 1/10/12 8:49pm
Msg #408688

o always staple it to the hud and make a copy, scan it to a pdf file so that if they question i can send them the file and they can see it was attached......

Reply by Notarylady on 1/12/12 3:15pm
Msg #408858

I've always scotched taped the check to the Hud. IF they require fax backs, the hud is always one of the pages required. I carry a scotch tape in my brief case for this reason.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.