Notary Rotary
Computer problem: out of memory on line
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by jba/fl on 1/14/12 4:07pm
Msg #409061

and there are several lines in past couple of days. Since my computer guru doesn't reply on week-ends normally, thought someone here may know.

Lines I remember, if that makes a difference: 31, 51, 124 or 126....

Reply by VT_Syrup on 1/14/12 4:24pm
Msg #409063

This means that while your computer was running a script, it ran out of memory (RAM) while trying to do line 31, 51, or whatever line of the script. This does not mean your computer as a whole was running out of memory; sometimes a certain program, such as the web browser, is only allowed a small fraction of the computer's RAM, and the program goes over its limit. An analogy: just because the balance of one of your bank accounts is 0 does not mean you have no money at all.

If you like to keep lots of things running at once, like Outlook, several tabs in a web browser, Quicken, etc., try running only what you need. Also, see if it only happens when a certain website is open. Finally, see if your C: drive is filling up. When RAM starts to get full, the operating system stashes some of it on the hard drive. If the hard drive is full, there may be no place to stash what won't fit in the RAM.

Another thing you can do is look at the memory usage. Start the operating system's Task Manager (on Windows 7, right-click on an empty area of the bar at the bottom of the screen, then choose Task Manager). Click on the Performance tab. RAM usage (which is called Physical Memory Usage History in Windows 7) is shown.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/14/12 6:24pm
Msg #409065

I used to use IE, then changed to Mozilla, but some things do not do well in Mozilla, esp. printing map directions on MapQuest, so I switch to IE for that function. Today and the other times I was running in IE and had the problem on FB. It appears I have more problems with IE now than previously but just read that Mozilla is not as secure as Chrome, so thinking of abandoning it now for Chrome.

Interesting....will have to just pay attention to what and when to determine the why of it all I guess.

Thanks for your thoughtful answer; it did explain a lot to me, more than what I could understand from Googling the problem.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.