Notary Rotary
More competition for GNW
Notary Discussion History

More competition for GNW
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by ikando on 1/30/12 3:07pm
Msg #410286

More competition for GNW

Members on this board regularly comment on the fees offered by SS and some title companies for our services. On another note, the floodgates have opened locally to new notaries offering general notary work. One advertises $10 service anywhere in Oklahoma!

Beyond the obvious reduction in my cashflow by this competition, is that I've had people comment to me that "the other notary accepted the hospital bracelet as ID" when I indicated I needed to see a government picture ID, or "I've never had anyone ask me for a current ID" -- this from a guy who got out of the driver's side of the vehicle with an expired NON-driver's ID.

To my knowledge, there is no simple way to know the law regarding notary public actions except to review the statutes. Even the SOS site doesn't give a really clear picture, although the current SOS has updated it from years past. I am bothered and concerned that documents are being stamped without the NP really knowing what they're doing.

There. Got that off my chest. Any comments or suggestions?

Reply by CapCityAgent on 1/30/12 3:57pm
Msg #410292

Do not sweat it. Just hope this person does not get named in a law suit for one of these closings. He/She will definitely lose more than what the errors and omission insurance will cover for not following the standard practice and knowing how to cover his/her butt. My respone to the person who are making those comments to you would be, "You know, law suits happen all the time. I am just covering myself from potential lawsuits."

Reply by Roger_OH on 1/30/12 4:52pm
Msg #410296

It's really very simple - rise above your competition...

Join your local Chamber of Commerce; leave cards everywhere, market to health facilities, put a free ad on CraigsList, etc etc.

Laura Vestanen has an excellent book on how to market your non-loan, general notary services that would be very helpful to those doing GNW.

Be the best - simple as that!

Reply by MW/VA on 1/30/12 6:53pm
Msg #410307

Re: It's really very simple - rise above your competition...

You can also get a free listing on YellowPages.com. I get a lot of GNW calls from there.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 1/30/12 5:10pm
Msg #410297

When I am first contacted about GNW, there are several questions I ask over the phone as part of the screening process.
- What type of document is this? Yes, I know I notarize signatures, not documents, and as far as I'm concerned the document could say your grandmother invented the chicken recipe instead of the Colonel. I ask this to set up additional questions.
- Whose signature am I notarizing?
- Does the individual have a current, valid, government-issued photo ID? And I tell the caller that part of my responsibility as a notary is to confirm identities. I will need to see a current drivers license.
- Does the individual know what they are signing and why they are signing this document?
- Are they in command of their mental capacities? With more and more of my GNW taking place in long-term care, convalescent, or hospice facilities I am upfront that I need to ask if to find out if the individual is not mentally impaired or signing under duress. I also tell the caller that if I determine when I meet the individual that they are not signing under their own free will or do not understand what they are signing, I will not notarize.
- Lastly, can they sign their name? Or will they be signing by using a mark? The answer to this question will determine if a witness other than myself will be necessary.

Reply by ikando on 1/30/12 6:32pm
Msg #410303

Linda, like you, I have more and more elderly in care facilities. I ask all your questions, plus, if they say it's a POA, I ask if the document they have requires witnesses.

I try to remember to add to the "are they in command of mental capacities" question, that if I feel that I cannot communicate with the signer, that a travel fee is still required even if I don't notarize the docs.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.