Notary Rotary
NNA Conference
Notary Discussion History

NNA Conference
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Karen Marrs on 1/10/12 7:48pm
Msg #408682

NNA Conference

Has anyone been to the NNA Conference? Is it worth the money?

Reply by NJDiva on 1/10/12 8:19pm
Msg #408683

Certainly wouldn't be worth the extra expense of airfare...

I asked when they were coming to the East Coast, they said they would consider it in the future. This was years ago. Guess it's not been much of a thought.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/10/12 8:23pm
Msg #408684

I have been to one..and it is expensive to attend..When I attended it was all free for me..As an experienced Notary/NSA I did not find the classes to be beneficial to me..But the whole process meeting other Notaries, the food and the ceremonies was the best part and all worth it! I had a great time and it is tax dedictuble!

Reply by JulieD/KS on 1/11/12 1:11pm
Msg #408736

I flew to Orlando quite a few years ago with the intention of attending the NNA conference. Got settled in my hotel...and decided that Disney World held far more interest to me than anything the conference would teach me. So, I spent 4 days at Disney World, 2 days at a local clothes-free resort, one day at Universal and then I went home.
I'd say it was a successful trip.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/10/12 8:34pm
Msg #408685

I went to the one in LA in 2006 or 2007. I only went because I wanted to see some of my CA friends and others who were only a name on the internet. I had fun, but did not really learn anything.

Reply by BobbiCT on 1/11/12 7:19am
Msg #408697

Cost Factor v Knowledge Gained

I looked at the cost of the conference, the program schedule (what NEW information will be presented that I can't get from Inet news, trade reading, and local organizations/seminars?) and hotel room ... too expensive plus east coast airfare WAY too expensive. If you can get your employer to pay the bill, you should attend (many Secretary/Department of State employees attend because the States have funds for conferences). It is a wonderful time to party, dine and chat with other Notaries Public from around the nation. I always enjoyed the conferences I attended.

My guess is as California organization it is more profitable to hold these conferences on the West coast or, like Las Vegas, within West coast driving or low-cost flight areas, Keeps NNA expenses low and markets to the larger mandatory notary education and local full-time signing agent population. Most east coast states do not have mandatory education & journal requirements (Pennsylvania has its own excellent local organization and MA is basically an attorney-only loan document state). Not to mention, the Signing Companies and product-selling vendors that sell their products at the conference can write off a sunny, San Diego business trip instead of New York City, Washington, DC or Philadelphia (past East coast conferences).

Look at 1) what you need to know today, 2) what you can learn there that you can't learn anywhere closer to home, 3) can you afford it or get your employer to pay, 4) will the travel and other costs fit into your budget? In my case, I transitioned from attending notary conferences to local CT Bar Association and paralegal educational seminars; reading the NNA magazines and e-newsletters to supplement my knowledge.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 1/11/12 11:20am
Msg #408717

I went to NNA Conference in San Diego in 200 or 2001
followed that up with Orlando the following year
Philadelphia
Lasd Vegas....
When I went, the cost was more affordable and the networking was great.
I met Chicago Bob and several other Notaries in this forum.
It seems to be somewhat of a "rip-off" in my opinion - the registration fee is so high currently.

Reply by Mike Goodey on 1/11/12 11:30am
Msg #408720

But NNA gets to keep the profits!

Reply by Bravo on 1/11/12 1:24pm
Msg #408742

NNA conferences are just like Amway meetings...all rah-rah-sis-boom-bah and nothin to show for it.

Reply by GY_CT on 1/11/12 1:36pm
Msg #408744

NNA Conference: ROTFL n/m

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/11/12 3:35pm
Msg #408759

Re: NNA Conference: ROTFL

I would like to know..Did anyone on this site go to the conference in New Orleans in 2008?
Just curious!

Reply by Karen Marrs on 1/11/12 5:39pm
Msg #408775

Thanks for the replies...I will have to seriously consider the cost factor.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.