Posted by sheltn on 1/17/12 2:50pm
Msg #409264

NRIES

Got called for a signing, Thanks, NOTROT
I wish I had instant access because I can't
work for free. I hate chasing payments!

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/17/12 7:19pm
Msg #409288

I have worked for them for about 9 years. I have always gotten paid. Sometimes I've had to wait longer than I wanted to. However, when the checks come in, it's like a windfall.
So, I am sure you are all going to slam me now. Go ahead!

Reply by DD/OR on 1/17/12 8:03pm
Msg #409290

Well, good for you. That is not the experience of some or most notaries who worked for them.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/17/12 8:20pm
Msg #409291

I checked SC

Most of the complaints were about slow pay. Only a small handful of no-pays. Perhaps they were paid later on and didn't bother to post? Slow pay is relative. Perhaps there was a reason they didn't get paid. Perhaps they messed up badly. We don't know the whole story.
I can't ever recall accepting a job from them where I was offered something better for that time frame. I keep tabs on them and don't ever let their debt to me get out of hand. When it reaches their credit limit with me, I stop accepting assignments until I get paid.

Reply by desktopfull on 1/17/12 9:20pm
Msg #409295

Some of us don't have the funds to finance a TC, glad you

can afford to float interest free loans. Took me 6 months to get paid for the last closings I did for them 2 years ago, sorry they got paid when loan funded and they used my money for 6 months and didn't even say thank you for the interest free loan.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/17/12 10:33pm
Msg #409301

Re: Some of us don't have the funds to finance a TC, glad you

If you had nothing else to do anyway, why wouldn't you take it? Like I said, my experience with them is that I have always been paid.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/18/12 8:31am
Msg #409310

I agree with Shoshana..If she eventually gets paid and she is ok with this then that is her business and choice and I see nothing wrong with it! We all must make our own decisions that we can live with. Like she stated if she has no other closings scheduled she will take the work instead of sitting idle. Theres nothing wrong with that!

I take closings from them on occasion as well depending on my schedule!

I personally do not like to work that hard and wait that long to get paid, but they do evenutally pay!

Reply by desktopfull on 1/18/12 9:59am
Msg #409317

Your correct Claudine. I simply congratulate her on being prosperous enough to float interest free loans for up to 6 months or longer. Many are not in the position to be able to accommodate NREIS with interest free loans, up front costs and time for their closings on the hope that one day after numerous calls and emails requesting the funds they are due that they will get paid. However, NREIS doesn't inform everyone that it will take 6 months plus to get paid and only then after nagging them persistantly to get the money. Personally, I've found that it's far easier to write them off and find a replacement that does pay timely and as promised. Coincidentially, their payment problems began when their legal problems with the State of PA started.

I remember Lender's First Choice, always paid on time, in a matter of 3 months all of that changed. I took over 10 closings from them in 5 days, POOF!!!! on the 6th day their offices were closed, all employees fired and locked out of the offices. Guess what? They filed bankruptcy! I had worked for all of their offices since 2001 and never got paid for the closings I had completed for them within the last 3 months of being in business.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 1/18/12 10:46am
Msg #409332

That just proves there is NO guarantee

in any business venture. Lender's always paid promptly and went out of business in 5 days leaving you holding the bag on approximately $500. Proof enough that the past is no indication of future results. I know it hurt, been hurt a couple of times myself. It is all part of the joy of being in business for yourself.

My experience with NREIS has always been the same as Shoshana's. They have a very small credit limit with me as do most every other TC and SS I work for. It's usually not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket.

Reply by desktopfull on 1/18/12 11:11am
Msg #409334

Re: That just proves there is NO guarantee

LFC left me holding the bag and far more than the amount you mentioned. However, with NREIS's legal problems compounded with late payments, not going there. It took me 6+ months to get the last $1485.00 NREIS owed me, they just aren't worth the hassle, you spend more time collecting the money than you do for the job they hired you to complete. On top of that, they wrote the checks in '08, put them on my 1099Misc, and then didn't mail the checks until the end of March in 09 and June of 09. I requested a corrected 1099 and they refused. Fortunately, I had the emails from them stating that the first payment for Nov 08 closings would be mailed on March 22, 2009 to give to the IRS. On top of being late payer's they created a nightmare at IRS for me because of their false 1099 misc. They were cooking their books to reduce their tax liability to the IRS and in the process I wound up in the hot water and had to prove I didn't receive the funds that they told the IRS they had paid. No, I won't work for this company.

Reply by taxpro on 1/18/12 3:52pm
Msg #409378

For future reference, desktopfull.....

If payer refuses to correct the 1099, report them to the IRS. That may prompt a letter from IRS to them, and possible penalties.

To avoid 1099 matching issues on your tax return, you can enter the amount reported on the 1099 on line 1 of Schedule C, then subtract the amount you didn't receive in the tax year on line 2. Label it "timing adjustment for income not received in tax year" or something to that effect.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/18/12 11:12am
Msg #409335

Re: That just proves there is NO guarantee

***It's usually not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket.***

How true, how true. I was reviewing my 2010 income records this week. That year, a full 71 percent of my closing income came from one title company. The closings came thick and fast, and at my regular fee. Then the company got bought out, and my good friend the head of NSA scheduling left.

We're talking major pain. I still have not fully recovered either on volume or income.

Reply by desktopfull on 1/18/12 10:03am
Msg #409318

Some like to take more risks than others, I don't have the time, energy or inclination to work for a company that I have to harass to get them to honor their contract and pay me in a reasonable time frame. Far easier to find a reliable company to work for so that I'm not just sitting around to be taken advantage of by deadbeat companies.

Reply by Ali/IL on 1/18/12 4:32pm
Msg #409383

I took their assignments even though they paid late.
But, they always paid after I had to contact Mr. Awes. This last time he sent me a copy of the email that he sent accounting which I didn't like the way it read. It sounded like he was doing me a favor and, I let him know that. I haven't been called since.

Reply by Keys_Notary on 1/18/12 4:50pm
Msg #409386

Shoshana, They were one my favorites to work with too. Met my fees paid EOM, always. I've worked with them also for over 10 years & no problem until the past year. It took them needing a closing done where I was the only one available in my area that met their criteria. They did pay right away on both of those. Haven't heard from them in about 3 months now...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.