Notary Rotary
Nightmare closing
Notary Discussion History

Nightmare closing
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Alan Murray on 1/31/12 9:16am
Msg #410341

Nightmare closing

I got a call to do a closing, I refused to do it because I already had work that morning & would not be available until that evening. So the SS told me to arrange a better time with the client. The client agreeded to 4:30pm. Since, I was out of the office I printed all the docs on legal paper (189 pages Twice).

I called the client to re-confirm our appointment because I was running late and during our chat she told me that she was going to print the docs but the escrow told her that the doc had to be printed on the correct size paper. I told her I printed all on legal paper. While I was on the phone with SS to confirm the paper requirements since non were printed on the order, within a few minutes I received a call from escrow & was told because it was being recorded in CA that they are penlized $100 if the recording is on the wrong paper & that I need to print the file as is.

So, I had to return to my office an reprint that file again with my dual tray printer. From that 1 file I printed 2 sets of document, 1 mixed letter & legal, the other was mostly all letter.

I received a another call from the SS that there were 27 additional documents, 2 new HUD, TIL, Escrow disclosure, etc. So, again I had to stop by my office to print out these new docs.

At the clients home we found 3 different HUD, many of the escrow doc were for another person. The client call the loan officer & escrow to receive another file with additional files that were updates and or missing from the orginal file that she printed out on her slow color printer.

Needless to say 3.75 hrs later I was finished closing 2 sets of closing documents. My worst signing ever done while standing up around a kitchen island stove counter.

Reply by Frank/NC on 1/31/12 9:42am
Msg #410349

Doesn't it seem that when they start going wrong in the beginning, right to the end everything is wrong. Every time I take a last minute closing there's a problem. Whether it's a borrower who wants to read everything including 4 pages of the W-9 or one who has his calculator out and refigures all the amounts or the person who makes a call to the LO or someone in the office because the LO hardly ever seems to be around when the closing takes place. By the way, have you ever run into a situation where the borrower asks you for ID (usually I give them a business card), then takes a picture of you and then goes outside and takes a picture of the car and license plate?

Reply by jba/fl on 1/31/12 9:48am
Msg #410350

No, Frank, I can say I have ever had a BO do that to me. If so, I think I would be ROFLMAO at their stupidity and paranoia, all the while preparing to leave his sorry a... and on the phone with whoever hired me to let them know this was a no-go and that they owe me for full fee.

Reply by Alan Murray on 1/31/12 10:53am
Msg #410356

Taking your picture, & of your care is really being paranoid, I've only had 2 or 3 people ask for my ID & it was just for a regular notary job. That happen all in one week, and has not happen since. It must have had something to do with the planets alignment that week.

But since we're dealing with the public there are many people out there with varying degrees of personality disorders that surface when they interact with others. Just be careful.

Reply by RickG/CA on 1/31/12 1:46pm
Msg #410377

Re: takes a picture....

"then takes a picture of you and then goes outside and takes a picture of the car and license plate? "

Offer to stand next to the license plate so borrower can get it all in one shot. Then, if the moment is right, strike a pose worthy of a viral facebook moment. Sounds like fun anyway.

Reply by Lorraine Payne on 1/31/12 2:59pm
Msg #410401

That is funny......take your pic

Reply by Frank/NC on 1/31/12 3:19pm
Msg #410410

By the way, during that closing I described above, the borrower's wife, who was the biggest PITA, after all docs were signed, would not accept the copy of the docs I made for her, stating, "who knows what you did with those" and wanted a copy of the signed docs. They had a pretty big copy machine there in that it was the borrower's place of business and she made a copy of the signed docs for herself. For all of you who question why I allowed this, the TC is probably the best client I ever had in that they pay top prices and then issue a check in 4-5 days. Sometimes you just gotta swallow hard and hope the next one is easier but I wasn't about to cut my own nose of to spite my face.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/31/12 3:53pm
Msg #410417

I would have told her to knock herself out (nicely of course). And still would have left the copies for her to shred or line the birdcage, whatever.

Reply by bagger on 1/31/12 4:13pm
Msg #410426

I may have told her, I earn $50.00 per hour - are yuo willing to pay that while I wait?

Reply by workingjohn on 2/13/12 9:31pm
Msg #411669

I would have told her the unsigned documents were part of the regular service, and if she wanted a signed set of documents (hard or soft copy) she can either contact the EO later, or pay me an additional $25 to sit and wait for her to copy it herself. Our commission may be our most valuable resource, but our time is our most valuable asset.

Reply by Les_CO on 1/31/12 9:56am
Msg #410351

Sounds kind of typical for remote closings today…late docs…different (finally approved) HUDs…Several calls to TC/Borrower/SS…rescheduled appointment times…etc. I’d say that if you are going to continue in this business get a dual tray printer…but you HAVE a dual tray printer?? Why did you print the first set “all legal”? And yes some county clerks charge more for recording legal than letter. I always print’um like I get’um….unless some dufus scans them in wrong. And I (now) always ask if these are the FINAL docs?

Reply by Larry/IL on 1/31/12 10:35am
Msg #410354

If I have to go back to my office, it's extra. n/m

Reply by Alan Murray on 1/31/12 10:41am
Msg #410355

I was not in my office when I printed the files & did not have access to a dual tray.

Reply by OR on 1/31/12 11:03am
Msg #410357

If Title was talking about recording papers, I would think she was talking about the DOT. That would mean 15 pages that needed to be on letter size paper. I would have just cut the DOT down to letter size and sent everything else back legal size. justme

Reply by ikando on 1/31/12 11:35am
Msg #410361

That sounds like a reasonable suggestion to handle the issue of size for recording purposes. I'll have to keep that in mind for future similar situations.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/31/12 1:10pm
Msg #410368

what do you think title co. does? Just that.

Reply by Alz on 1/31/12 12:55pm
Msg #410366

Is there a training course available for those that scan

the documents in wrong? Seriously, everyday last week I had to print documents on legal size paper because of this issue. I've been thinking about creating how-to for these folks. What do you think? LOL

Reply by janCA on 1/31/12 3:05pm
Msg #410403

Re: Is there a training course available for those that scan

I would never have printed the borrowers' copies over again, and I agree, it's usually only the DOT that will be recorded so I would have printed that over on letter and let the remainder on legal. And that's just me too.

Reply by janCA on 1/31/12 3:06pm
Msg #410405

Re:Nightmare closing.

This is for the nightmare closing post, obviously.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.