Notary Rotary
Notary To Go (for newbies)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/29/12 1:49pm
Msg #410245

Much has been written about the equipment/supplies newbies must have to start out, but laser printers, a computer and paper are only the tip of the iceberg. Today, I was reorganizing the stuff in the trunk of my car (or the Notarymobile as my husband calls it). Here are other essentials I have learned the hard way to have on hand:

Spare journal (a must in CA in case you forget your notary bag and have traveled 45 miles already and have no time to go back and get it; this has happened twice in my 8-years as an NSA). Yikes! Expensive lesson cos all log-ins are required to be sequential.
Extra thumprint pads, blue-ink pens, notary seal/stamp, FedEx and UPS return envevlopes with blank airbills and sticky pouches, printouts of locations of drop boxes and courrier hubs in the metro and surrounding areas, packing tape in case the shipping envelopes aren't closing tightly, blank APA acks and jurats, stapler, scissors, sticky notes, small flash light (when idiot borrowers don't turn on their porchlight or there's an obstacale course getting to their front door), binoculars, legal paper (which borrowers never have and the TC is sending an emergency doc over at the signing, which happened just last week), envelopes for funds-due checks, binder clips, paper clips ... and for those notaries who pack heat (and we know who you are) gun clips.

I'm sure there's more essential notary stuff I didn't mention, but now let's move on to the personal stuff:
Bandaids are vital for when you get a paper cut that just doesn't bleed but hemorrhages all over the docs, and an extra all-occasion top to change into when blood also gets on your clothes, which happened once at a signing at Starbucks, or the mustard from your Costco hotdog just dribbled down the front of your top; spare pair of (old) glasses, gum to freshen breath, bottled water, moist wipes, lotion, sun block and a "beauty bag" with toothbrush, comb, makeup and tweezers (ya never know!), umbrella, fleece jacket and clean socks (in case borrowers make you take your shoes off and they have cooooold hard floors while they're wearing cozy scuffs.) Besides I don't like doing signings bare-footed.

This covers the basics. The only thing I don't have is a printer, which I know many notaries can power up in their vehicles. Plus I read on NR once that a notary who had a huge backcountry territory could actually cook food in his car. I'm sure you all could add your own list of must-haves that will either help or scare off would-be newbies.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/29/12 4:02pm
Msg #410249

You must go through a lot of journals then. It's my understanding that you can't use two journals at the same time. Therefore, in this case you would have to stop using the first journal and file it away.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/29/12 4:08pm
Msg #410251

No, I haven't gone through a lot of journals ..only two ... maybe three, as a result of not having the current one with me. But that's enuff. An expensive mistake, because, like you said, I have to stop using the current one and start anew with the "emergency" one. So I have 2 or 3 half-filled journals. Boo.

Reply by Karla/OR on 1/29/12 4:03pm
Msg #410250

Thanks for taking the time to post this information. There are so many I have not thought of. Love the name your husband created for your car!

Reply by Alz on 1/29/12 5:26pm
Msg #410252

Great list, GG. I'm not a newbie, but I was able to add a

few items to my toolbox.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/29/12 6:36pm
Msg #410254

Uh...you didn't include extra Depends. n/m

Reply by Venita Peyton on 1/30/12 8:27am
Msg #410260

I have a small fax/copier so that I can copy a check or HUD from the car so that I don't get slowed down by going back to the office or finding a copy center. Purchased the adapter from Radio Shack earlier this year (around $34) after a huge power outage here in NC.

Great idea about the bandaids! One embarrassing thing I learned is to only wear clear nail polish. You can't erase a red scratch on pure white - no matter HOW expensive the polish!

Reply by Eve/VA on 1/30/12 8:35am
Msg #410263

Great info ... what are the binoculars for? n/m

Reply by PegiT_MN on 1/30/12 8:37am
Msg #410264

To see the house numbers? . n/m

Reply by Eve/VA on 1/30/12 8:43am
Msg #410265

Re: To see the house numbers? .

Okay! I'm putting binoculars in the car ... I'm constantly looking for those dayum house numbers!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/30/12 11:32am
Msg #410272

Re: To see the house numbers? .

Yes, to see the house numbers. I'm getting up there agewise... not necessarily to the Depends and Polident stage like HisHughness apparently, but certainly to the fading eyesight stage. I carry a small pair of lo-power binocs inside the car to help me find those pesky miniscule house numbers. The spare binocs in the trunk are the size for big game hunting .. in fact, I think that's what my father used them for... and I can honestly say I've never used them. But like the tweezers, ya never know!

Reply by Eve/VA on 1/31/12 8:23am
Msg #410336

I don't think it's age/poor vision ...

sometimes numbers are non-existent, or are hidden behind bushes and trees or are placed somewhere useless to be aesthetically pleasing. And with daylight savings time, it's even tougher. I've started asking BOs to turn on their porch lights (uh hello, help me out here).

I love it when GPS tells me "you've arrived at your destination." Which house is it GPS lady?

I've packed my binocs -- thank you for the common sense suggestion!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 2/1/12 2:06am
Msg #410475

Re: I don't think it's age/poor vision ...

That's when BIG flashlight comes in real handy. I have one of those Mag Light flashlights that policemen use (and a little one to take with me when I have to go trolling through big complexes to find an apartment or unit number on foot).

Reply by LMM/CA on 1/30/12 11:04am
Msg #410270

What a great list! Thanks for sharing!

Reply by VT_Syrup on 1/30/12 3:26pm
Msg #410288

Additional for non-CA notaries

Adapt CA all-purpose acks to your state
OR
Acks for corporate officers, trustees, etc.

Certified copy stamp or blanks, if allowed in your state

Blank oaths/affirmations for credible witnesses, if allowed/required/recommended in your state

Reply by bygrace/PA on 1/31/12 6:08am
Msg #410326

Re: Additional for non-CA notaries

This list is pretty good.....msg had me laughing about the mustard on the shirt or blood on the docs....LOL....yeah, i've had the drips of coffee issue...

Ok this is good stuff to add in your car.....but what happens if the car is stolen or towed because you parked illegally in a downtown area.....etc...your certs, extra log & other items in are in the car?....nope, I don't think so, not a good idea. All the other stuff, clips, extra shirt, tape, paper all are fine....but not the sensitive stuff

Reply by bygrace/PA on 1/31/12 6:21am
Msg #410327

Re: Would you keep sensitive tools and certs in your car?

While It's great to have an extra set of misc items like staples, clips, legal paper, notebooks,shirt, tape, bandaides...etc in your car j.i.c. you forget some items while heading to a signing.......However, you should think twice about the other things...certs, journals, fingerprint pads, notary stamp, embosser....etc

Anything can happen, car stolen, towed, broken into.....don't forget your responsible as a notary ....it will be your issue if docs or tools get into the wrong hands...even for unforseen situations

Reply by VT_Syrup on 1/31/12 11:58am
Msg #410364

sensitive public information

It's surprising how much sensitive stuff is available to the public. The detailed appearance of our seal/stamp is not public, because even if someone goes to the real estate records and copies it, it won't be possible to make an identical copy. Similarly, anyone could get a photocopy of our signatures, but they still won't be able to sign just like us. Of course we must safeguard our journals. All the other stuff is available on the web, at stationery stores, etc. But a crook could do a pretty good job of impersonating us if they knew what to buy. As for the states that license seal manufacturers, that's easy. The crook can just pick a notary from a state that doesn't license seal manufacturers.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.