Notary Rotary
Ohio Notary Seal
Notary Discussion History

Ohio Notary Seal
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Carole Breckbill on 1/15/12 5:34pm
Msg #409097

Ohio Notary Seal

Apparently the State of Ohio is now enforcing its rule that a notary seal be 1" in diameter. So my new notary stamp is now twice the size of my old one. Many documents are so poorly dawn as to not leave room for even a small size stamp, much less the larger one. However, my real question has to do with (expletive deleted) car titles, which didn't even have room for the small stamp. Is an attached ack the only/best way to do these? Thanks!

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/15/12 5:43pm
Msg #409099

Notary Rotary sells the seal that complies with Ohio law: http://www.notaryrotary.com/buy/Ohio_Stingray_Pre_Inked_Notary_Stamp.asp

However, if I were an Ohio notary, here's how I would do it. The law says: "The seal shall consist of the coat of arms of the state within a circle one inch in diameter and shall be surrounded by the words "notary public," "notarial seal," or words to that effect, the name of the notary public and the words "State of Ohio." The seal may be of either a type that will stamp ink onto a document or one that will emboss it. The name of the notary public may, instead of appearing on the seal, be printed, typewritten, or stamped in legible, printed letters near his signature on each document signed by him…"

Why not just use an embossing seal that has the Ohio coat of arms surrounded by your name and "Notary Public - State of Ohio", and then use a separate small stamp that just has your name, title, and commission expiration date. This would fit virtually anywhere because you can emboss over text.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 1/15/12 5:47pm
Msg #409100

I'm so glad Minnesota doesn't require a seal. n/m

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/15/12 6:19pm
Msg #409104

Um, are you serious? Yes, MN requires a seal.

359.03 SEAL; REGISTER.
Subdivision 1.Requirement. Every notary shall get an official seal, with which to authenticate official acts, and upon which shall be engraved the arms of this state, the words "notarial seal." The seal, with the notary's official register, is exempt from execution, and, on death or removal from office, the register must be deposited with the court administrator of the district court of the notary's county.

Subd. 3. Specifications. The seal of every notary public may be affixed by a stamp that will print a seal which legibly reproduces under photographic methods the seal of the state of Minnesota, the name of the notary, the words "Notary Public," and the words "My commission expires ...............," with the expiration date shown thereon or may be an electronic form. A physical seal used to authenticate a paper document shall be a rectangular form of not more than three-fourths of an inch vertically by 2-1/2 inches horizontally, with a serrated or milled edge border, and shall contain the information required by this subdivision.

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/15/12 6:31pm
Msg #409106

Robert, I suspect she means an embosser.

I feel that "Um, are you serious?" is not befitting of a man with your credentials. Just an opinion.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 1/15/12 8:28pm
Msg #409115

Re: Robert, I suspect she means an embosser.

Thank you. Of course I know I need a seal. I meant an embosser.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/15/12 6:01pm
Msg #409102

Sounds like for all intents and porpoises, your seal is as big as a walrus.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/15/12 6:51pm
Msg #409107

Carole, I use the raised embosser seal for the car titles, there is a spot on the title to add your commission date. Mine also has my name and the words Notary Public outside of the circle.

I use the Ideal 200 stamp that I purchased here for most other documents. This has the state compliant seal with the coat of arms in the 1" circle.

Reply by Roger_OH on 1/15/12 7:10pm
Msg #409109

An ink stamp does indeed obliterate the written info. I also just use the embosser, and write in the commission date.

Reply by CinOH on 1/15/12 7:25pm
Msg #409111

Not sure if the title office will accept a loose cert attached to a title or not. They're pretty strict. You should call your local title office before you try it that way. I use both an old-fashioned wooden hand stamp on titles and my embosser. It's a super tight fit, but I manage to get it on there without stamping over any words or signatures.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.